It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
(female)

ldvoyager HB User
Is this a tailor's bunion?

I had an Austin bunionectomy 4-1/2 weeks ago. I wore a surgical sandal for 3 weeks and was on crutches for the first 2 weeks. Three weeks postop, I had my dressing removed, and I could wear a tennis shoe or sandal. When I got home from having my dressing removed (3 weeks postop), I noticed a hard lump on the BOTTOM of my foot just behind my little toe. I canít feel it on carpet and can barely feel it with shoes on, but it feels like a rock in foot when walking barefoot on a hard floor. This did not go away, so I saw the podiatrist who performed my bunionectomy today. He told me that the lump is a tailorís bunion. He said I was probably walking on the left side of my foot to take pressure of the right side of my foot. I told him that I wasnít. He said that I probably had the tailorís bunion before I had the bunionectomy. I told him that I had no symptoms whatsoever of a tailorís bunion before my surgery. I had an x-ray 1 week postop that did not show a tailorís bunion. The nurse x-rayed my foot before I left, but the doctor did not look at the x-rays while I was there. I talked to the nurse later on the phone and expressed my concern that this was not a tailor's bunion, since tailor's bunions are on the side of the foot and the hardened area is more on the bottom of my foot. She said that the doctor looked at the x-ray and that it is definitely a tailor's bunion. My question is, can a tailorís bunion develop that quickly, and can a tailorís bunion present with symptoms on the bottom of the foot rather than the side of the foot? The doctor also said that it could just go away (which I find hard to believe if it really is a bunion) or he could inject it with cortisone if it becomes painful. Any insight from someone with a similar problem would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
(female)

jpsumner HB User
Re: Is this a tailor's bunion?

Is it possible that it was there before and you just never noticed it? Seems hard to believe that would happen in just 4 weeks. Could it be a corn on the bottom of your foot? Maybe see another podiatrist to get a second opinion.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
(female)

ldvoyager HB User

No, it wasn't there before the surgery. I was on crutches for 2 weeks postop and out of my surgical shoe by the third week. It is not a corn. I feels like I am walking on a marble under my little toe.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:56 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Janesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB User

I had double bunionectomy on my right foot for a traditional bunion and a tailor bunion two years ago. My left foot will need the same surgery, which I plan to have next summer. My "first" tailor bunion developed quickly when I was in my twenties (I'm 50 now). I had no idea what it was, and lived with it until my foot pain in other parts of the foot led me to ask my doctor what was going on, which is when he told me I had bunions. I told him I thought I just had "old lady feet", and he just smiled at me........
To answer your question, my tailor bunions were/are on the side of my foot.
The tailor bunion on the left foot took years to develop.
I ended up having surgery sooner than planned because the entire right foot swelled up after many miles of walking while on vacation. I couldn't even bend my toes. I saw my podiatrist when I returned home, and he theorized that I may have rolled the joint on the fifth metatarsal, at the base of the toe. Because my foot had a bunion on either side, the metatarsals splayed.
So, I would suggest you sit down with your doctor and review the x-rays, and ask him about the bump being on the bottom. I imagine it is possible. I know this is the last thing you want to hear after all you have been through! Get a second opinion.

Closed Thread