It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
(female)

dwilliam HB User
5th Metatarsal Fracture and Toes

Hello,
I could use some advice. 83 days ago I fractured my 5th Metatarsal while I was walking to work. Long story short, I was attempting to dodge a car and river texting instead watching where he was going. I was wearing heals so as I landed I rolled on the exterior portion of my right foot, fracturing the 5th Metatarsal. I then walked back up a steep hill to my apartment so I could get to my car and thus the urgent care. The xrays immediately recognized the fracture. After a temporary casts was issued I was instructed to see an orthopedist. I went two days later. More x-rays and the temporary cast was replaced with a walking boot. The break was not simple, as the bone displaced. I used crutches and the walking boot per the instructions of my doctor for 3 and half weeks. Then I was in the boot for another 7. My concern is that during that time I had an adnormal amount of sweeling and bruising at the 3rd and 4th toe, which my doctored assured me was normal. At my 6 week visit to him, I explained that although I had been able to remove all swelling and bruising (in large part due to an extreme icing schedule) that I am unable to splay or bend my 3rd and 4th toes. He seemed unconcerned by it and sent me on my way. After day 76 I was moved from the walking boot to an ankle brace and tennis shoes. So for one week now I have been using that. My issue is simply three things: 1) my foot is still causing a great deal of pain, 2) the bone is still displaced as it has created a bump that is visable on my foot, and 3) I still cannot move my toes. Has any one else had a similar experience and if so what is ahead for me.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2010, 10:29 AM   #2
(female)

dwilliam HB User
Angry Re: 5th Metatarsal Fracture and Toes

So went to the doctor yesterday. I am at the three month mark and it is still broken because there is a gap in the bone. I will be receiving a bone stimulator in a week or two. The doctor is unsure why my toes are not functioning properly. So, again, if you have had a similar situation I would love to read about it.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User
Re: 5th Metatarsal Fracture and Toes

I was wondering how you are doing with this. I broke my 5th metatarsal by rolling on my ankle 2 weeks ago. I have 2 breaks -- one straight through the base, and another at an angle to that which is displaced somewhat (4 mm). I know I'm not an ortho or anything, but I was told I could now fully WB, that if I chose, I could opt for no cast (with a completely broken bone?) ... I worry about something similar to your story happening. It doesn't make sense to me to put weight on a bone (full weight at least) that is broken, at least for a few weeks. I opted for a fiberglass cast, and when I put any weight of any amount (more than just balancing myself as I stand on my other foot), it hurts where I broke it.

I also have trouble moving my little toe and the one beside it feels slightly numb. I have lots of swelling and bruising yet, so that could be the cause.

I'd love to know the outcome of your situation.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
(female)

kalinicole33 HB User
Re: 5th Metatarsal Fracture and Toes

Hi. About a year and a half ago I was play fighting with a friend, lost my balance and fell on my coffee table, catching myself with my foot. The next day, when I still could not put pressure on my foot I went to urgent care and the x-rays showed a greenstick fracture of the fifth metatarsal. After the six weeks in a surgical shoe...everything was fine. About five months later I started having mild pain in the same foot. It never bothered me to the point where I figured I should have it looked at, it just felt achy like some bones do after a break....until about six months ago. The pain gradually got worse. I work front desk at a hotel so I am constantly on my feet. The pain would be sudden, and not consistent. My foot swells and I too can see a "lump" on my foot. If you look, there is an obvious deformation. Also, I can move my big toe just fine, but my four little toes I can barely curl and thats all. About a month ago I started to get what I think is heel spurs in that foot, sharp pain between the arch and heel. The pain in my foot is like a burning, stinging pain...but its also very achy. My pinky toe is bright red. It only happens 1-2 times a week, and after rest it is okay. I cannot take the pain anymore so I made an appointment with a podiatrist and I am going in about a week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilliam View Post
Hello,
I could use some advice. 83 days ago I fractured my 5th Metatarsal while I was walking to work. Long story short, I was attempting to dodge a car and river texting instead watching where he was going. I was wearing heals so as I landed I rolled on the exterior portion of my right foot, fracturing the 5th Metatarsal. I then walked back up a steep hill to my apartment so I could get to my car and thus the urgent care. The xrays immediately recognized the fracture. After a temporary casts was issued I was instructed to see an orthopedist. I went two days later. More x-rays and the temporary cast was replaced with a walking boot. The break was not simple, as the bone displaced. I used crutches and the walking boot per the instructions of my doctor for 3 and half weeks. Then I was in the boot for another 7. My concern is that during that time I had an adnormal amount of sweeling and bruising at the 3rd and 4th toe, which my doctored assured me was normal. At my 6 week visit to him, I explained that although I had been able to remove all swelling and bruising (in large part due to an extreme icing schedule) that I am unable to splay or bend my 3rd and 4th toes. He seemed unconcerned by it and sent me on my way. After day 76 I was moved from the walking boot to an ankle brace and tennis shoes. So for one week now I have been using that. My issue is simply three things: 1) my foot is still causing a great deal of pain, 2) the bone is still displaced as it has created a bump that is visable on my foot, and 3) I still cannot move my toes. Has any one else had a similar experience and if so what is ahead for me.

Thanks!

Closed Thread