It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
(male)

portapaolo HB User
Unhappy Foot Drop

I developed a drop foot on my left leg without clear reason. I was simply sitting down and when I stood up I realized that my foot was dropping. I was able to work almost normally by purchasing shape ups shoes and wrapping my ankle. I work in a restaurant, and I am very scared that I will not be able to work any longer. I an move my tows but I have no dorsi flex movement. I have a feeling of stretching that goes from the pironeal nerve down to my ankle. I have an appointment with neurologist tomorrow. Had anyone had the same experience. Did you recover? Do you have any siggestion in regards to exercises?
Please, help!

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User
Re: Foot Drop

I developed foot drop from entrapment of the deep peroneal nerve. I had the nerve conduction study/EMG which showed basically no conduction through this nerve from the ankle to the big toe. An MRI showed some atrophy of the EDB muscle because of it. I went to physical therapy with a PT who specializes in feet and my foot drop was resolved through PT. I still have some nerve issues with the deep peroneal nerve but it's very manageable with Cymbalta. Nerves do heal themselves. That nerve runs behind the knee and issues with it can be a result of a problem in the knee as well as the ankle.

Hopefully the nerve conduction study will tell the neurologist where your problem originates. Mine was fine from the knee to the ankle joint. Good luck to you. The test was a little freaky but not painful.

emmie

Last edited by emmie54; 08-25-2010 at 07:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
(female)

Lulu6kidz HB User

I work for a neurosurgeon. Usually, when we see a patient with foot drop it indicates a bulging disc (herniated disc) in the lumbar spine. You will need to get an Mri. You can usually get those from a Neurologist and they will give you a complete workup. My only advice is: do not go to an Orthopedic. They are surgery happy because spinal surgery pays well through insurance companies. As well as, they deal with bones. Not nerves. Neurologists and Neurosurgeons are your best and honest bet. Beware...if you have to have surgery get several opinions.
Good luck!

Old 08-26-2010, 07:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

I respectfully take exception to the blanket statement condemning ortho's. It was my Foot and Ankle ortho who immediately sent me to the neurologist when he saw the weakness in the foot. He also took a great deal of time explaining to me that it can originate from the spine to the knee to the ankle. He suspected ankle in my case because I have had ankle surgeries but he was also very careful to let me know it could be originating elsewhere. My daughter has MS and sometimes experiences foot drop. But with most neorological diseases you would have multiple symptoms, not just foot drop. Also, once I got the diagnosis, it was the NEUROSURGEON who said that the ortho could do a nerve release surgery. My ortho said absolutely NOT because those surgeries do not have a long term success rate. he is the one who sent me to PT which resolved my foot drop in a matter of six weeks.
So, not all ortho's are "knife happy". In fact my ortho always suggests his patients get a second opinion before he does surgery. There are good and bad doctors in every specialty. I agree that any time surgery is indicated a second opinion is a good idea.

I would also like to mention that MRI's often do NOT show nerve entrapment in the feet when in fact it may be there. My entrapment was glaring in the NC test and all the MRI showed is atrophy of the EDB. I had clear anterior tarsal tunnel and two subsequent MRI
findings never made mention of it. So, while an MRI can be positive, a negative reading doesn't always mean negative.

Last edited by emmie54; 08-26-2010 at 07:48 AM. Reason: added info

Closed Thread