It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
(female)

UofMGimp HB User
Flat Foot Reconstruction Surgery Recovery

Hello Everyone!

I know there are a lot of other forums already out there on the recovery from this, but I thought it would be nice to have a live forum to talk about recovery status. This is a fairly long recovery and it would be nice to hear from others going through it as well.

I am 20 years old, and a little over a week post-op. In my surgery I had five procedures done. The moved my heel back over, did a bone graft over my arch, lengthened my achilles tedon, and did a tendon transfer in the foot, and I believe an additional tendon transfer on the outside of my foot, but I am not 100% sure. I currently still have my stitches in as well two pins in my foot, and am in a splint. On Monday, I will be getting my stitches out an getting a plaster cast.

Things that I am dealing with that I would love to hear thoughts from other people on are:
1. Pain management: I am taking the maximum Vicodin which for the most part keeps the pain manageable, but have yet to have any break from the constant pain.
2. Mobility: I am still virtually unable to get around. I have left the house once for a doctor's appointment, but other than that I have pretty much only gotten out of bed to go to the bathroom.
3. My biggest struggle has been with sleeping. I have had some trouble with falling asleep as night, and once a sleep I often will wake up after about an hour of sleeping.

For those of you who are further along in recovery, I would love to hear anything you have to share, and any advice you have. I too will answer any question I am able to, especially as I progress further into recovery.

Thanks in advance for the responses!
Aryn

The following user gives a hug of support to UofMGimp:
jamie488 (06-29-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Re: Flat Foot R, econstruction Surgery Recovery

I am five weeks post op. I had repair of the posterior tibial tendon with a tendon graft, repair spring ligament, calcaneal slide osteotomy (moving heal), cotton osteotomy and my achillese tendon was lengthened. The worse of the pain was for the first 10-12 days and then it got a lot better. For the first three weeks, I was in bed except to go to the bathroom. Now, I lay on the couch and eat at the table. I even went out to eat two times with my husband. Going out when I am non weight bearing is difficult to say the least. I just had my staples and stitches removed a few days ago. In three weeks, at eight weeks post op, I am having a catscan and seeing the doctor at which time I hope to have the go ahead to do partial weight beariing, It is definitely a long and difficult recovery

Old 08-27-2010, 07:48 AM   #3
(male)

johnd304 HB Userjohnd304 HB User
Re: Flat Foot Reconstruction Surgery Recovery

Hello. I'm 4 1/2 weeks post op. I'm surprised when I read about the pain everyone has. I had the highest mg of Percocet and was off of them by the 3rd day. I didn't enjoy being on them, they just messed me up and made me feel like poo. My mobility is fine, but maybe it's just where I don't like staying in one place. Yes, sleeping at night is difficult, still for me. The only problem I have now is tingling and sensations from the nerve damage. For a few days straight my foot tingled non-stop, but now I just get random sensations in my big toe. Your procedures were exactly like mine. Believe it or not, I've actually lost weight. I'm 20 also, which the doctor says is going to play a big part in my recovery. Don't get confident on your crutches ability or hopping ability, it's very easy to fall that way. Keep me updated w/ your recovery.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:01 AM   #4
(female)

kneedy HB User

I would appreciate staying in touch with you through your rehabilitation. I have stage III PTTD of my left foot. I have been struggling with this for 6+ years using orthotics and a standard Richie Brace to keep walking...in addition to accupuncture and yoga.
I had 2 critically ill family members I was caring for so surgery was not an option - but the pain and interference with walking is getting worse. I have to do something. I'm a lot older than you but I would appreciate your letting me know how the ankle is doing and how you are handling the lack of mobility. Thanks.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
(female)

UofMGimp HB User

Thanks everyone for all the replies! I really appreciate hearing what everyone else is going through.

Roxy - It is definitely good to hear that the first 10-12 days are the worst, because I was beginning to feel like things weren't going improve very much. I am a college student, and although I am perfectly fine to be sitting resting my leg at the moment, I do have to return back to school in about two weeks. I was starting to feel like there was no way I would be ready to go back, but no I at least have hope that things will start to improve more.

John - It is good to hear how well your recovery is going. My doctor was saying that my age as well would definitely be on my side for the recovery, glad to hear it is really true. Sorry to hear about the Percocet, I have read about a number or people who didn't feel to hot taking it. I am on vicodin, which isn't quite as strong, but also doesn't have all the side effects. I am impressed how quickly you were able to get off of it. I am at day 10 and have been desperately trying to reduce my medication, but so far unsuccessfully. Hopefully soon though.

Kneedy - I would be happy to keep you updates on my recovery process. I will try to post on here when I reach any major changes or anything. Also, please feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks again for everyones input. I really like just knowing there are other people going through the same thing as me.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
(female)

Canadian Chick HB User

I'm 5 1/2 weeks post op for medial calcaneal osteotomy and PTTD tendon repair. I was fortunate not to have tendon transfer or lengthening like many others. I found the pain afterwards acceptable. I think i expected it to be soooo bad that I was relieved with what I had (prepare for the worst and hope for the best right?) I had naproxen every 4 hours for 3 days, Tylenol 3 slow release every 4 hours for 3 days and hydromorphone for breakthough pain. I think I took about 8 of the 25 pills I had for that, and that was during the first 5 days or so.

My biggest frustration is that it is my right foot so I cannot drive and i feel housebound. The crutches suck and I rented a wheelchair just to have when I go out to malls or places like that (although most major malls here have ones there you can use). At home, I am using a office chair to wheel around (yay for hardwood floors). I'm getting cast #4 next week at the 6 week mark and havin x-rays to see how the bone is healing. I'm non weight bearing for 9-11 weeks because of the schrews and my 2 screws stick out the bottom of my heel about 2 inches. They are to be removed between week 9 and 11.

I had sleeping problems but really for the first couple of nights. I had surgery at noon and was home around 8pm and I swear I slept for maybe one hour total that night.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
(female)

kneedy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Chick View Post
I'm 5 1/2 weeks post op for medial calcaneal osteotomy and PTTD tendon repair. I was fortunate not to have tendon transfer or lengthening like many others. I found the pain afterwards acceptable. I think i expected it to be soooo bad that I was relieved with what I had (prepare for the worst and hope for the best right?) I had naproxen every 4 hours for 3 days, Tylenol 3 slow release every 4 hours for 3 days and hydromorphone for breakthough pain. I think I took about 8 of the 25 pills I had for that, and that was during the first 5 days or so.

My biggest frustration is that it is my right foot so I cannot drive and i feel housebound. The crutches suck and I rented a wheelchair just to have when I go out to malls or places like that (although most major malls here have ones there you can use). At home, I am using a office chair to wheel around (yay for hardwood floors). I'm getting cast #4 next week at the 6 week mark and havin x-rays to see how the bone is healing. I'm non weight bearing for 9-11 weeks because of the schrews and my 2 screws stick out the bottom of my heel about 2 inches. They are to be removed between week 9 and 11.

I had sleeping problems but really for the first couple of nights. I had surgery at noon and was home around 8pm and I swear I slept for maybe one hour total that night.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:31 AM   #8
(female)

UofMGimp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Chick View Post
Wow! Those screws sounds pretty intense. I have two pins sticking out of my foot, but they sounds much smaller then the screws you have.

As for dealing with crutches/wheelchair, my doctor gave me a prescription for a knee walker. I haven't used it to much yet, but it seems like it is going to be great once I start walking more. We were able to rent it from the same place where I rented my wheelchair, and our insurance covered both.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:36 AM   #9
(female)

kneedy HB User

Thank for for responding. I have been told by 2 doctors that I would have to be non-weightbearing on the left ankle & foot for 6 MONTHS post-op. That scares me to death, especially since I have orthopedic old-injury issues with an unstable right knee. I am older and I cannot immagine how I would ever build back my strength after being immobile for 6 months. I have seen a knee scooter & that seems like a good possibility to keep me moving. Have you considered that instead of crutches? I have a friend who post broken-ankle surgery also used an office chair around her house. She swore that it was better than a wheel chair and fitted spaces more functionally. Keep in touch and let me know how you are doing. Thanks

Old 08-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

My surgery was on the left foot, however three years ago I had surgery on my right knee. My right knee is much better than before the surgery but will never be normal. I have rented a roll about scooter. I also go up and down steps on my tush. I have worn my knee brace when I have to go out where I will be hoping on my non surgical foot just as a precaution.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:04 AM   #11
(female)

kneedy HB User

Thanks. Any ideas that crop up that help you or "things that you wish you had known" or things that you wish you had done differently would be a big help.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #12
(female)

UofMGimp HB User

I have problems with knee pain from foot problems, so while I am recovering from this surgery I have a knee brace for my other knee to help reduce the pain and increase its stability.

One piece of advice I do have about the surgery itself is that if they offer you a nerve block you should definitely take it. I was hesitant, but eventually decided to go a head with it, and it was the best decision I made. It is a little uncomfortable when they do the actual block, but then it numbs your entire leg and foot from the knee down. It varies from person to person, but mine didn't wear off for about 30 hours. Best 30 hours since I have had the surgery.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:28 AM   #13
(female)

Koolestkat HB User

Hi, everyone
I'm 6 1/2 weeks post op PTTD surgery and just went from a cast to a short boot walker. I'm scheduled to start P.T. next week. I used Percocet and Toradol post op, I was instructed to finish the Toradol, but to stop the Percocet if I wanted which I did after about 5 days. I've been sore but not in pain. That is, until I was fitted with the boot and helped to walk with crutches. The heel hurt like you know what. The muscle pain that night was intense like everything suddenly woke up and protested being put into a new position. Then the skin on the heel broke and the scab came off, and it became quite raw. I was instructed to stop PWB until it gets better, so it was a depressing setback, as I had been so excited to be walking despite the pain.
Kneedy, one thing I recommend wholeheartedly is the knee walker. I don't know what I would've done without it. I'm a klutz and can't do crutches, the walker lets you move around so much easier and faster. It takes practice but I became an expert and trust me when I tell you, I'm very uncoordinated. If your insurance won't cover it (like mine) buy it if you can afford it, there are very good prices online that won't be much more than renting. You won't be sorry. Also, after surgery, set a timer and take the pain meds around the clock even at night. That's the way they are meant to work by stopping pain before it starts. They are not nearly as effective after the pain becomes intense. Another thing that helps is a toilet seat raiser. Look around your house for any seats that are too low, they'll be hard to get out of on one foot. Also remove any obstacles, like center tables and the like.
Gimp, I agree with you about the nerve block, it makes a big difference. Try the knee walker, I started using it right after surgery.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:21 AM   #14
(female)

kneedy HB User

Thank you so much for sharing. I would appreciate your staying in touch as you move through therapy. I have already tried out a knee walker in the medical supply - I can do that. I'm watching for one on e-bay.
I'm sorry that you are still having so much pain - every new step is a start-over when you are recovering from surgery.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:04 PM   #15
(female)

Michelle2010 HB User

I had my surgery 08/16/2010 - so am 12 days post op. I had repair of the posterior tibial tendon with a tendon graft, repair spring ligament, calcaneal slide osteotomy (moving heal), cotton osteotomy and my achillese tendon was lengthened. I had alot of pain the first couple days and experienced muscle spasms and that has to be the toughest part right now. I rest comfortably and am now crawling up the stairs to get to bed. I have a rolater walker with the seat which has been a blessing as I sit in that and roll around , use crutches in the bathroom as the walker will not go through the door, I have a steel walker ustairs and a knee walker for when I go back to work and trips to the mall.

I think the worse part of this is non weight bearing for 8weeks - almost 2 down and 1 to go.

I do hope things get better.

Closed Thread