It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2010, 05:11 AM   #1
(male)

captclam HB User
Calc Frac- Didn't listen to Dr... nine weeks later. Anyone else?

Hoping to find a match and hope of full recovery.

Age 42, Male, Not overweight, non-smoker

Calcaneus fracture from ladder fall on June 21st, 2010 (now 9 weeks post-op)
Open reduction, internal fixation, titanium plate and internal pins. Fractures barely reached sub-talar joint, but there were plenty of them, spiral and others.

Here is my week by week rundown for those of you just starting, followed by my questions for those of you who are farther along than I am.

Week 1- Waited for surgery, huge white circle on back of heel, looked like it was going to explode through the skin, major swelling. They put a splint on it. No critical pain after first 48 hours.

Week 2- Surgery- they put a split on it, wrapped in tons of gauze and ace bandages and told me not to remove it for any reason for 2 weeks. Took all the stuff off the next day because split was digging into stitches. Found stitches in major need of cleaning. I never got an infection, and I believe it was from cleaning the stitches and recovering them with sterile pads and antibac cream. Major swelling still, ice very helpful... so was wheel chair. Amazed that the pain was bearable. Not bad at all.

Week 3- Began sleeping without splint and doing range of motion exercises. Could not move foot up well at all, seemed to "stick", like i needed to crack the joint. Seemed that skipping range of motion exercises combined with not wearing the splint was a very bad idea so I made sure and did it. Put the splint on during the day because the muscles seemed to contract during the night without the splint...

Week 4- Stitches out- Doc put me in a hard cast for 2 weeks. Drove me up a freeking wall. Cut vent holes all over cast with dremel tool. Took cast off after one week. Couldn't stand the "tickling" sensation behind my knee and down my foot that came from no being able to rotate or move my foot (seemed to happen at night and would keep me awake. Figured out it was the scar tissue area that was rubbing and causing the sensation.

Week 5. Put myself in a pair of cam walkers fixed at 90 degrees. Began trying to walk on my heel. Swelling was down, bearing any weight was painful. Jumped off 40 foot cliff into a lake after crawling up the cliff on my leather covered knees. Was sure I rebroke it, as I landed feet first. Thought the cam walkers would pad the blow.... not really... but really stupid.

Week 6- Saw the Doc, he said I was 85% healed. Said I should start with cam walkers and crutches for two weeks then walk with crutches for the two weeks after that. When home and started walking without crutches in cam walkers the next day.

Week 7- Walking without cams or crutches. Very painful after just being on my feet for a total of one or two hours a day. Mostly in the pad of the heel.

Week 8- No major progress on the pain front, heel gets very sore, so does an area on the outside of my ankle, as well as the outside of my foot. Thinking it is just from not using them for so long?

Today, Week 9- Any amount of walking at all angers my heel. Feels like a toothache. Trying to take stairs without bringing my feet together on every step, but the foot doesn't want to come up enough to do it without thinking I am going to tear something. Can't raise my body up on the balls of my feet... feels too weak in the ball of my foot to do that as well as with ankle stability. Worried I am going to rip the Ach tendon out of my heel.

Ok, so for those of you with a similar injury, there is my history. I obviously have not listened to my doctor worth a darn. However, I am walking, albiet painfully.

Questions:
1. Does the feeling that you need to have a gel pad inserted into your heel to ever be able to walk without pain ever go away? Just laying in bed with my laptop resting on my drawn up knee puts enough of an angled force on my heel that it begins to throb.

2. When I stretch in the morning or at night, I get a terrible pain in the outside of my calf and extends down the outside of my foot. Is that the nerve bundles rubbing against the plate or what?

3. At this stage, is it safe to begin pushing the envelope and forcing the additional range of motion?

4. I fear the plate may have to come out as ever since the swelling went down "stuff" seems to rubbing the plate/pin area and causing pain. Is there anyone out there that is pain free and living with the plate / pins still in their ankle?

Thanks in advance of your reply. It sure would be great to know what others have gone through.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
Re: Calc Frac- Didn't listen to Dr... nine weeks later. Anyone else?

So did the doc give you permision to bear weight? If not, I can't say anything positive.

As far as the week by week break down, your over thinking this. You got a long way to go, takes 12-18 months to heal. Just got to weight it out.

Physical therapy is the best thing you can do, after listening to your doc.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
(male)

captclam HB User

Is there anyone you know of that has actually made a full recovery in any amount of time. Every post I have read on countless sites talks about still limping after sometimes as many as five years. No where have I read a post that says, "I am totally pain-free and running 5 miles a day!"

If you know of someone, or there is anyone with a story like that, please share it with me and the rest of the people hoping there is a light at the end of this tunnel... that isn't a freight-train!

Old 09-02-2010, 05:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

There was a thread here, called positive calcaneous stories only. Do a search or look around last fall or winter.

Its a life changing event.

There is a line between between being hopeful and being realistic. You do have you push yourself.

I am at almost 18 months. I am doing the things I want to do, but have to pay for it, at times. Pain currency.

I am back to work whereing steel toes boots and working long days on concrete. But luckily I can sit a bit.

There are lots of positive stories out there, it depends alot on how bad the break was, but is there anyone who hasn't had there life changed? I doubt it.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Reading your first post, its a write up, on what not to do. Either you pushed yourself real hard, and will recover well, or you screwed up yourself. I tend to think the later.

Either way its a long road, good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zerk For This Useful Post:
wants to walk (01-12-2011)
Old 09-02-2010, 05:57 AM   #6
(male)

captclam HB User

I see your point. I guess I should be happy that I can walk already. My fracture was bad, powder and pieces. I am at a bit less than 10 weeks and can walk without crutches or a cane. Limp pretty badly and my foot looks like it has a golf ball on the outside of it at the end of 5 or 6 hours of standing/ limping around... but the swelling goes away overnight. Most of my pain now is related to the tendon/ muscle group that pulls the foot up, not down. Can't really do a calf raise yet, but trying them while holding onto a bar over my head to help support my weight. The heel pad is painful as well, but not as bad as a couple of weeks ago. Stairs are tough as I still am having trouble getting my foot to bend enough when the good foot goes down a step. Stretching, etc, but I am thinking it will take time.

Zerk, thanks so much for your dedication to posting... your experience and words of support are a great help.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:12 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

What does your doctor think about all this?

To be honest I think you may be making a mistake. But if you are going to do it make sure you got good socks on. I only wear light wool hiking socks. Good shoes and boots to. I tried wearing slip on loafers around the house and it was a mistake. I ended wearing an old pair of tennis shoes I could slip on and off.

When you get further along you may want a compression sock. But its probably to early for that. You need some swelling for healing, otherwise docs would give you antinflamatory meds.

You should have your feet up alot. If you are going to push walking, you should probably be icing it. But your foots needs to be elvated, toes above the nose. I slept with it on to pillows, and had it on 2 pillows on my recliner tilted back all the way, during the day.

I pushed alot of things, but I was strict, about not putting weight on it for 12 weeks until I had permisission. And it wasn't just a 12 week # thing, they xrayed it to see if the bone had healed enough to put weight on it.

I hate to be negative, but I think you will be back, as they do the next surgery, to fix this one.

Ya I know cast suck, ya its hard sitting around the house. But you got to do what needs to be done, your not a kid. Thats life.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:28 AM   #8
(male)

tchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by captclam View Post
I see your point .. Zerk, thanks so much for your dedication to posting... your experience and words of support are a great help.
Yes, Zerk knows of what he speaks. You will be well served by following any advice he has to offer.

While being agressive about your recovery is good, getting reckless is not. Do take every advantage of what your doctor allows. That will be revised by the rate of progress and complications that you report to him. Get through this period and soon enough you will be on your own.

To your specific questions:
1-Yes.
2-Yes (and or tendons and scar tissue.)
3-No.
4- Yes (Although the pain from the injury, surgery and hardware takes many months to subside.)
And maybe (For those few who did have problems with the plate after all else was healed - (and thus clear to them and their docs - removal resolved the issue.) Note: Sometimes their Dremel is involved.

Tim

Old 09-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

Wow.... i just have to say I have never heard of anyone so blatantly ignoring doctors orders. Now you want to know how to have a good outcome? Maybe actually following doctors orders would be a start. I would be totally honest about all that you have done, have them re-evaluate you, and hopefully you haven't done too much damage.

I'm not trying to be rude, but seriously, you only have two feet and if you have permanent damage, that is a life changing situation. I have desperately tried for five years now to get my foot straight and it disturbs me that you would deliberately go against doctors orders. Please think longterm. To have a positive outcome you will have to have some inconveniences shortterm.

Best of luck to you.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:41 PM   #10
(male)

captclam HB User

In the event you haven't read my other posts, I wanted to circle back to this one in the even someone searches calc fracture and reads this thread...

I am in great shape at the 6/7 month mark, nearly pain free. I think it was critical to get moving early. HOWEVER, my situation was unique in many ways, as will yours be. If, for instance, I had numbness in areas where the screws were located, as is common for many people having this surgery, I could have done substantial permanent damage by pushing it the way I did.

In addition, I didn't push weight bearing at all until such a time as I saw the bones 70% healed on the X-rays. The bottom line is listen to your doctors, BUT don't be afraid to ask questions. My doc told me the main reason his group keeps people in a cast for as long as they do is because people can't handle the pain associated with movement while so swollen. He credits mIfy early movement of the foot to the quick healing and drastically sped up recovery. If you ask your doctor about rotating your heel and moving your foot earlier than they first suggest, they may tell you it is OK. However, they may tell you you can't because you have a torn ligament that might snap if you move it. As I said, listen to your doctor but don't be afraid to ask the critical questions like, "why can't I, what will happen?"

Old 01-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #11
(male)

captclam HB User

Oh, one last note... if you read the pediatry medical journals, you can read about the controversy over early vs. standard mobility and the healing of peroneal tendon damage. Basically, it says that immobilizing the peroneals (via cast and booting) after injury really hurts the healing process for the peroneals. They are supposed to discuss this at some fancy conference in Germany or somewhere this year. It will be interesting to see the outcome.

Closed Thread