It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2010, 02:10 PM   #31
(female)

LeslieJ50 HB User
Re: Fat pad atrophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyFos View Post
Thanks for the tip! Wish I could wear them in dress shoes! I'm going to my internist tomorrow and will talk to him about the fat pad augmentation foot tuck. I will be sure to post my results on here. What is your story? Good luck!
My Story...
In 1990, the ball of my foot swelled and Reg MD sent me to surgeron for exploratory surgury. They found nothing, telling me I must have stepped on a 'carpet cleaning maching fiber' walking barefoot. Over the next ten yrs I developed and was diagnosed with diabetic neuropathy. As that same foot kept swelling, pins and needles keeping me up most of the night, shooting, stabbing pains, cold frozen/or burning hot feet ... We've all had the symptoms. But being a nursing Assistant, In was working 60 hour work weeks.

My Podiatrist made orthodics, which he to this day continues to adjust often. In 2009 I had Morton's Neuroma Removal from under the bottom, although I refused the Tarsul Tunnell Surgery. At this time, I have Fat Pad Atrophy, my metatarsuls are all exposed, I have a wonderful set of Hammertoes and I can not walk to the restroom w/o pain. I use a cane in the house; walker/wheelchair WHEN I go out. Social Security Disability approved my application on my first time through.

PS... Footwear..... Drew Shoes Online has the best selection I've been able to find....

Old 10-15-2010, 06:24 AM   #32
(female)

footny HB Userfootny HB Userfootny HB User

I have been looking on the internet for individuals who had dermal fillers or the fat put into the foot, to see what they say. I have not found anything. Also, the pod who said he can do the dermal filler, I asked if he ever did it before and the answer was no, but it is easy to do. So I have to find another doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2010, 07:10 AM   #33
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User

SassyFos

I'm wondering how long the fat augmentation supposed to last? Like I said, no one has actually told me I have fat pad atrophy, but I have been told that the fat pad is thinning. (probably just a nice way of putting it) I only have this problem on one foot, the one that I had the neuroma surgery on. I sometimes wonder if I'd been better off having the surgery from the bottom of the foot where they could "see" better. I may even have a stump neuroma...who knows. The so called docs don't seem to know anything.

I know exactly what you mean about shoe choices. Nothing feels comfortable on my feet anymore. I can't even dress up and look nice, since I have to wear such ugly shoes! Most of the time I am in sneakers or slippers.

I even purchased a pair of expensive mpt rocker shoes last year. They help a little getting the weight off the ball of the foot but it takes a while to get used to walking in them. I also purchased a pair of thorlo thick cushion walking socks that do help a little.

I couldn't begin to tell you how much money has been spent of foot pads, inserts, orthotics, shoes etc. Thousands I'm sure!
Keep in touch...I'm interested in your outcome.

Sharon

Old 10-15-2010, 08:43 AM   #34
(female)

SassyFos HB User

Oh, my gosh! Your story brought tears to my eyes! Thank you for sharing and for reminding me that I'm not alone in dealing with chronic foot pain. It's just something that no one gets unless they "walk in your shoes." Sorry for the pun, couldn't resist! I'm going to the doctor in an hour and will discuss the fat pad augmentation foot tuck and will post his opinion. I'll keep you all updated. Have a good weekend!

Old 10-15-2010, 08:58 AM   #35
(female)

SassyFos HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancinboots View Post
SassyFos

I'm wondering how long the fat augmentation supposed to last? Like I said, no one has actually told me I have fat pad atrophy, but I have been told that the fat pad is thinning. (probably just a nice way of putting it) I only have this problem on one foot, the one that I had the neuroma surgery on. I sometimes wonder if I'd been better off having the surgery from the bottom of the foot where they could "see" better. I may even have a stump neuroma...who knows. The so called docs don't seem to know anything.

I know exactly what you mean about shoe choices. Nothing feels comfortable on my feet anymore. I can't even dress up and look nice, since I have to wear such ugly shoes! Most of the time I am in sneakers or slippers.

I even purchased a pair of expensive mpt rocker shoes last year. They help a little getting the weight off the ball of the foot but it takes a while to get used to walking in them. I also purchased a pair of thorlo thick cushion walking socks that do help a little.

I couldn't begin to tell you how much money has been spent of foot pads, inserts, orthotics, shoes etc. Thousands I'm sure!
Keep in touch...I'm interested in your outcome.

Sharon
Sharon,

Not sure how long the augmentation is supposed to last, but if it works and it only lasts a few years I'd be willing to do it. It's so non invasive and I'm certainly all for sucking a bit of fat from a place where I don't need it and putting it in a place where I do need it! I just hope there's someone in my area who's done it and I hope insurance covers it. It's truly my only hope to live a "normal" life where I don't think of the pain every minute of the day.

I've purchased Thorlos socks, too, but they don't work so well for me. The padding is so compressed that it's not soft enough. Gel works better and I love memory foam! If only I could wear it in my dress shoes! I have to spend so much money on shoes because I have to buy Easy Spirit, LifeStride, Aerosoles, etc. And forget anything with heels! In my job I have to dress business formal and they just don't make many choices in a low heel dress shoe. I have to shell out the money for anything that looks and feels half way decent. It's so frustrating!

Heading out to the doctor now. I'll keep you posted.

Sandy

Old 10-16-2010, 06:30 AM   #36
(female)

I have been researching these new technique for putting fat back into the foot. I have not ready anywhere where someone said it has worked for them. I have just read that doctors are against it. But, as some people say on this board, people who have not had problems are not on this board. A new thing I discovered is GraftJacket has been used to put fat back in the foot. Someone from the company emailed me a list of doctors in my area who have used this for fat pad atrophy. I know you can't put links on the site, so google it.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:35 AM   #37
(female)

SassyFos HB User

I went to my doctor on Friday and told him about the fat pad injections that we've been discussing here. He had not heard of it but thought it sounded like a reasonable idea. He is going to do some medical research on it and will give me his findings at my next appointment. Regarding GraftJacket, I did some research on this and found a pod who has worked with it and discussed the procedure with him. He told me that he didn't think I was a good candidate because I'm young and healthy! He does the procedure on more sedentary patients who are just looking to be more comfortable when doing their everyday activities. Most of his patients with fat pad atrophy are older diabetic people. He also said that it breaks down over time and at my age it wouldn't last and that I would need to have the procedure repeated. Now, that is just one man's opinion. I am not against the idea but would need to know more about it and get another opinion. Keep me posted on any further developments. I will let you know what my doc says about the injections.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:51 PM   #38
(female)

lilredsmom HB Userlilredsmom HB User

REALLY?!? I can't believe he said that! Sounds to me like it would be just too much trouble for him especially if he's not familiar with it. At least my pod admitited that he was unfamiliar with a particular proceedure in question and he went on to tell me that there were no surgeons within our insurance group that did that particular proceedure either. So how about that! There were no if ands or buts! Do your due dillagence and search the heck of that proceedure and become your own advocate even if it means looking up medical terminology like I had to do so many years ago! Good luck Dr. Sass!!!

Old 10-24-2010, 11:56 AM   #39
(female)

At least the doctor admitted that Graft Jacket eventually fades. How long does it take to fade? I do not think they realize how much discomfort we are in. You can stick your finger into the ball of my foot between my toes, it is awful. These doctors, have no clue.

Anyone else develop knee or back problems from walking wrong on your foot for so long?

The Following User Says Thank You to footny For This Useful Post:
Jackie444 (10-17-2012)
Old 12-20-2010, 01:48 PM   #40
(female)

I have been dealing with my back problems, the neurosurgeon said I developed the problems from walking wrong on my foot for so long. I am in PT for my back. I still do not know what do with my foot. One Pod said to do another series of shots to burn the nerve again, in 6-9 mths I would get feeling back. He looked into the foot tuck fat pad and the Graft Jacket and said that probably wouldn't help me. Is that because he does not do it? I am so confused and I am in so much pain.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:36 PM   #41
(female)

lilredsmom HB Userlilredsmom HB User

Never be afraid to ask your doctor(s) the same questions that you ask us. You do pay for thir time and knowledge right? I have no qualms asking what they mean when they tell me something I don't understand. Go online and do a search on The graft jacket proceedure and how long it last then ask your Pod why he thinks you wouldn't benifit from it. I think as patients we should know the how's, the what's,the what for's and the why's. Be proactive.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #42
(male)

killneuroma HB User

I've read all the stories and very interested in fat pad augmentation foot tuck. I am waiting for the stories someone who has done it or at least talked to Dr. Sadrieh in Cal. Does anyone know any other doctors who do fat pad augmentation at east or he is the only one do the surgery.
Any idea......
Thank you..

Old 01-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #43
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I saw a segment on the Today Show last year about implants. Ann Curry was at a podiatrist's office. She talked about them as if they are common. Perhaps you can do a search for that?

Old 01-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #44
(female)

Someone told me they called the California medical board and found out Dr. Sadrieh is not board certified. I am looking into graft jacket for the fat pad. A Dr. Rocchio in PA has written about using this on fat pad. I also talked to someone who had sculptra and it did not last for more than 3 months. She is going to do graft jacket, I will keep you all posted on how she does.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to footny For This Useful Post:
Jackie444 (10-17-2012), killneuroma (01-19-2011)
Old 01-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #45
(male)

killneuroma HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by footny View Post
Someone told me they called the California medical board and found out Dr. Sadrieh is not board certified. I am looking into graft jacket for the fat pad. A Dr. Rocchio in PA has written about using this on fat pad. I also talked to someone who had sculptra and it did not last for more than 3 months. She is going to do graft jacket, I will keep you all posted on how she does.

I think he is not M.D. That is why he is not in California medical board. He is D.P.M.. I found him from California Board of Podiatric Medicine. I sent e-mail and they called me back and left message. I will contact him soon and post the results. I will also check graft jacket. Please, keep up post.
Thanks.

Closed Thread