It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
(male)

MrDister78 HB UserMrDister78 HB UserMrDister78 HB User
Ankle bone on outside of foot/ankle Popping out repeatedly

I"ve had this since last year( 2009) and i don't really understand what it is.
It just started happening with no real reason.

This is what happens, when i walk, run, jump., ,or just stand on one foot and balance, that ball bone in the ankle/foot feels like it pops out and then it goes back in place.

It's really painful. Thing is, it's not visibly popping out..i dont see the bone popping out. But i feel it.

So maybe it's some ligament that's malfunctioning and making that.

It happens all throughout the day. Of course i can avoid it by walking carefully and not jumping( i do light jumps cause ihave knee problems. I dont mean high jumps).. But i want to do exercise and so i have to risk it. this is bothering me

The doctor didn't know what it was but he said to be careful because i may get really hurt one day.

This is weird.. what can it be?

IN case you haven't read other of my threads: i've had knee problems since long time ago, and i have limped alot in my life.. Also, i have one leg that' is bigger thatn the other(slightly), i have slight scoliosis too. And my body looks really bony and skeleton like . I have been told by doctor's i may have Marfan's syndrome. They always look at my hands and say that

So i understand i do have a kind of abnormal body type.
I'm male age 30. i've never had this ankel problem ever before, it just started like i said, last year.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Ankle bone on outside of foot/ankle Popping out repeatedly

Could be peroneal tendon subluxation. The peroneal tendons help pull your foot up and out, and they run behind that bone. If they get injured or stretched, sometimes they start popping in and out.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
(male)

MrDister78 HB UserMrDister78 HB UserMrDister78 HB User

Thanks alot for your info. I didn't know about that.
So what is there to do? The doctor didn't really know exactly what i have because we have not checked in detailed(no xrays etc), but he said i should try getting new shoes with support for the ankle. something like those tall basketball shoes.. Would that help?

Old 10-25-2010, 05:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

A supportive shoe might help, but sometimes patients with peroneal tendon subluxation are placed in a special supportive boot. Anti-inflammatory medicines such as Advil may ease pain and swelling.

If conservative treatments don't help, a surgeon can try to repair it, either by rebuilding the covering (called the Retinaculum) which holds the tendons in place, or by deepening the groove in the bone that they sit in.

This might not be what's wrong with you, but you do seem to have a characteristic symptom. See if you can find a picture of lateral ankle anatomy so you can see exactly where the peroneal tendons are.

What kind of doctor did you see, and did he recommend anything other than supportive shoes? Will tests like X-ray be done? Will you get referred to someone else? Or does he want to wait and see for a while?

Closed Thread