It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010, 05:47 PM   #1
(female)

WMCsMom HB User
Question Requesting Advice for 6yr old having a Cotton osteotomy & MBA implant

Good evening. I am new to this forum and hoping for some advice. My 6 year old son is having surgery in December to correct his flatfoot. The operation will include a Cotton osteotomy, MBA implant & Achilles lengthening. Because my son will not be weight bearing on that foot, his surgeon has asked that I take a leave from work for apx. 10 weeks. This seems like such a long time! The more I think about it, the more I realize his recovery might be much more serious than I originally imagined.

My son will be out of school for the first 10 days after the surgery for his school's winter break. I wonder if that will be enough time or if he will need to stay home for a few more days. The surgeon also said I would need to stay with him at school until he can get around and is comfortable navigating without constant assistance.

I know everyone heals differently, but I'm hoping you can offer some advice on the recovery from these procedures. I am interested in any and all information. What can we expect for the first few days? What can I do to prepare my son and myself in advance? Will he be in a lot of pain? How limited should his activities be?

Thanks in advance for your input!

WMCsMom

Old 10-26-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
(male)

johnd304 HB Userjohnd304 HB User
Re: Requesting Advice for 6yr old having a Cotton osteotomy & MBA implant

Geeze, youngest age I've seen on here. Hmm, he's 6? So he's probably moving 24/7 lol. That's your hardest part, keeping him still. And not letting him put any weight or do any curious 6yr old things to his leg/foot. I'm 13wks post op for a flatfoot reconstruction. I didn't have the MBA though...I've only seen one other post on here about it. I know Dr's don't like to do it over the age of 40, so you're fine lol. As far as healing =\\ Uhm, I would imagine it would be tough. He's 6, so he isn't fully grown, so at the same time he's healing, he's growing. And where he's little, the pain might be pretty tough. Luckily I was off pain meds by the 4th day post op, I'm 20. I've been walking since 8wks post op. I've been in a shoe for 3 weeks now. I'm riding a road bike 5+ miles a day and increasing. Swelling is still here though, so get used to that.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnd304 For This Useful Post:
WMCsMom (10-27-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
(female)

Canadian Chick HB User

That is young and I don't know that if that works to his advantage or not. I was 9 weeks in a cast, then 4 in an aircast. It is a long recovery but sometimes kids are more resilient than the rest of us and heal better. Did the doctor say how he would move around afterwards-will he have a wheelchair or crutches-or both (I don't know how small crutches come-although I was in a full leg cast at age 9 for 2 months) That would be my biggest concern. The first days can be tough but hopefully he will have meds appropriate for that age to take. Keeping it elevated is very important to keep swelling down. I don't know where you live and if you will have snow at that time but if you do, crutches can be dangerous on wet floors-like at school. Can he be paired up with someone at school to help him-an adult or perhaps even an older student? I assume he will have several cast changes like we did? That saw can cause anxiety for kids (and adults). Maybe he can go to the plaster room before and see how it works on someone getting a cast off to help anxiety. You'll need to be creative to keep him occupied-I sure got stir crazy and bored-games, visits, movies etc.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
(male)

Get someone in the family that can draw well, and let them draw on his cast. =)

When I was 18mos old, I had a corrected club foot, and went through the normal casting of both feet as a treatment, and had a cousin draw race cars all over one cast, and the other one had teddy bears lol.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
(female)

WMCsMom HB User

Thanks for the advice. His doctor says he will be using crutches, but we wonder how that is actually going to work. My son has hypotonia (very low muscle tone), so he is not as strong or coordinated as other kids his age. We're starting to think he might need a combination of a wheel chair and crutches. My understanding is that he'll be in some sort of boot. I would honestly feel more comfortable with a hard cast, he's had many before while treating his clubfoot (other foot), plus it seems like it would keep his foot safer. Pardon my ignorance, but what is an air cast? As far as the school goes, I'm not sure how it will work. I had a conference with the principal today. I explained that I would accompany my son to school for the first few days back to make sure he can manage on his own or that they could help him. She didn't seem to keen on that idea. I really think though, that I won't be comfortable leaving him unless I've seen for myself that his needs can be met. I mean for goodness sake I can't even imagine how he'll go to the bathroom without help!
As I'm researching and reading comments, I realize I have a lot more questions for his surgeon!

Old 10-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
(male)

Hm, I also was born with clubfoot. It was in both feet, at 18mos the left foot was corrected, and both feet underwent the typical casting for periods of time. Right foot went through strenuous therapy and you wouldn't even know now I was even born that way.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

My son needed crutches when he was 5 due to an injury. He was not very coordinated so we ended up using a walker for him. It was a much safer option

Old 11-19-2010, 10:43 PM   #8
(female)

sunny07 HB User

Hi WMC! I had MBA implants put in my feet in 06. I know this surgery can be helpful when done correctly but, unfortunately, I chose the wrong doctor to do it. I guess I was young and naive and just didn't think to research my doctor. Please make sure your son's podiatrist has good training for the MBA implants. The doctor that performed my surgery had NO training during his residency or at any time in his career and I guess just decided one day to start doing this surgery. Needless to say, the implants were placed in the wrong place and I walked around for a year with these screws damaging my feet. Once I realized my doctor didn't have a clue what he was doing, I began looking for other doctors to help me and ended up being referred to the actual inventor of these implants. I don't know where you're located, but if a doubt ever arises in the training of your podiatrist or anyone else that ever reads this post and you are anywhere at all near Sulphur Springs, TX, please seek the advice of Dr. Steven Brancheau. Best of luck to you and your son!

Old 11-22-2010, 08:59 AM   #9
(female)

WMCsMom HB User

Thanks for the advice!

Closed Thread