It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #16
(female)

canadian2 HB User
Re: Toe joint fusion surgery--anyone had?

I also had this same fusion procedure( plate and screws - no cast) on Mar. 25th 2011. I was told I could weight bear on my heel as I could stand it but was to sit with my foot elevated most of the time. I have been back to the doctor once - after three weeks - he checked the incision and declared it looking good. However, he told me to continue to sit with it up most of the time until I see him again on May. 26 - 2 months after surgery. Cannot return to work until July 1 and can only wear a "cast boot" or after surgery boot until after next visit. I no longer have any pain in my toe and I assume it will be stiff when I can walk on it again. It has been set at 15 degrees, I think. The recovery is a bit long and arduous and I am being very careful not to undo the fusion. Apparently, that is one of the most common problems - bearing weight on toes too soon and preventing correct fusion. I'm looking forward to wearing some new shoes - no longer the clunky orthopedic ones.

Last edited by canadian2; 04-23-2011 at 11:17 AM.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

Hi canadian2. Be patient, it will be worth it in the end. I had my toe fused in Oct 09 with plate and screws. I am now walking miles, and can do yoga better now because I do not have a sore toe. It is awesome. In fact, I will be walking in the weekend to end women's cancers in Vancouver in August. 2 days 60 kilometres. That would have been next to impossible before.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #18
(female)

bkberries HB User

First off, to all who have posted about their MTP fusions, MANY THANKS! In the weeks leading up to my bi-lateral fusions on August 15, I read and re-read all the posts here, and questioned any and all who had any experience about this in person (especially my OS), and found the posts here to be the MOST encouraging of all.

I am 4 weeks and 2 days post-op. I had severe degenerative arthritic changes, numerous large bone spurs in both great toe joints and free floating fragments in the right toe joint before the surgery. I now have (relatively) no pain, fusing joints, and plates and screws. My daughters laughingly (lovingly) call my feet the "Frankenfeet"! I don't care how they look, they feel wonderful compared to how they used to.

My OS told me 2 days ago to start walking (on my heels) as my pain would allow. How wonderful to be able to walk again, even if it is a wobbly duck-walk! Walked into a restaurant with my DH for lunch today, slow, but without a wheelchair. Supposed to go back to work in 2-3 weeks. Don't quite know how that's going to work out, as at work I'm on my feet for 8 hours. :-(

Again, many thanks to all of the MTP fusion group. Ya'll are the best!

The following user gives a hug of support to bkberries:
Garygimp (09-24-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 04:31 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

good for you! it will only get better. i learned not to care what my feet look like!

The following user gives a hug of support to debbie g:
bkberries (09-14-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to debbie g For This Useful Post:
bkberries (09-14-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

Wow bkberries, two feet at once! Ouch. At least you will have it all done and out of the way.

As an update, I walked the 60 kilometres in two days last month. We did 35K the first day, and 25 the second. I had the worst blisters of my life, but structurally, my feet were great! It was a really awesome experience.

The following user gives a hug of support to Northwind:
bkberries (09-14-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Northwind For This Useful Post:
bkberries (09-14-2011)
Old 09-24-2011, 05:06 PM   #21
(male)

Garygimp HB User

Had fusion of first great toe on Wednesday. Doc also removed plate from a four year old spiral fracture of my fibula at same time. Two years ago, I'd had right gr toe fused....darn. I forgot how painful the recovery was. Air cast irritates the ankle site and any pressure on toe hurts. When medications wear off, I'm running a 6-8 on pain scale. With ice and fully effective drugs, I'm at a 4 or 5. But that doesn't last long. Doc still says 2-4 weeks NWB.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #22
(male)

Garygimp HB User

Dr bob Okeefe at Weil foot and ankle clinic in Desplaines. Did my fusions but also a friend's artificial joint surfacing.... Great doc truly good man

Old 09-24-2011, 06:37 PM   #23
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Why are you letting the meds wear off? I didn't with my last cheilectomy....no way!

Old 09-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #24
(male)

Garygimp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Why are you letting the meds wear off? I didn't with my last cheilectomy....no way!
Trying to be manly ;-p

Old 09-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #25
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garygimp View Post
Trying to be manly ;-p
Don't be manly. Take the darned drugs for a few days! Keep your foot elevated and soon you won't need to be manly. Pain will stay more manageable if you do not let it get out of control.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:56 AM   #26
(female)

bkberries HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
Don't be manly. Take the darned drugs for a few days! Keep your foot elevated and soon you won't need to be manly. Pain will stay more manageable if you do not let it get out of control.
She's right, you know! You'll feel soooo much better (sooner) if you take them as prescribed. I took mine every 4 hours (as prescribed) for about a week, and then started backing off, mostly because the pain was so much less by that time. I HATE taking anything, even tylenol, but those toes made me... I went almost 24 hours right after surgery with NO pain drugs (they made me sick to my tummy) before I got some that worked that didn't make me sick. Boy, was I ever questioning my decision to have my toes "done".

BTW, I'm 5 1/2 weeks ahead of you, but I had both of my great toes fused. The 4 weeks NWB was the worst. I hated being in that wheelchair! Walking now for 2 weeks tomorrow.

Keep your chin up! Take those drugs (as prescribed) as long as necessary, they really will make it easier. You'll be back on both your feet before you know it!

Old 09-25-2011, 08:40 AM   #27
Senior Veteran
(female)

I was given Tramacet and was directed to take it every 4-6 hours. I took it every four hours the first couple of days. Sometimes I think I took one after three hours once or twice. I had my surgery on a Wednesday. I had a spinal and twilight meds, so had some pain medication that they put in during surgery. Unfortunately, I did not react well to the twilight meds, and did not keep the first oral pain med down. By the time I got home (an hour drive from the hospital) I was ready for more, and a good sleep. Thankfully, that is all a distant memory now, and well worth the trouble!

Old 09-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #28
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i had fusion on my big toe with lowell jr! i live in highland park and it was done 5 years ago. there is no pain just cant wear cute shoes. just follow what the dr says and dont be manly! you will be fine. it takes up to 2 years for all the swelling to go down.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #29
(female)

quizzermom1 HB User

this sounds like me .. I've was in a cast for 9 weeks from April 27 to June 29. I have been in the boot now for 4 weeks. After 9 weeks of nwb, the boot and crutches was like heaven. I used the scooter for the 9 weeks. I totally recommend to use the scooter to get around ... so much easier. One problem I have had through the entire recovery, is the because I am "walking" unevenly, either by kneeling on the scooter or with crutches and wearing the boot is that my hip keeps popping out. I have issues without all of this, but the unevenness aggravates it. I go to the dr on Tues to see he will put me in a shoe. BTW, I had bone fusion in the 1st & 2nd metatarsals, gastric recession and morton's neuroma surgery. The neuroma was not removed as when it was opened up, it was inflamed, so hoping that by cutting the sheath it will allow the pressure to release. I am anxious to go the next step. I am so anxious to drive again.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #30
Senior Veteran
(female)

i know just how you feel. hang in there.

Closed Thread

Tags
arthritis, arthrodesis, foot problems, foot surgery