It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
(female)

Peachykeen10 HB User
Brostrom / Lateral Ligament Repair

I was wondering if someone can tell me what type of pain to expect post-surgery for an ankle lateral ligament repair (which i imagine is the same as the Brostrom procedure?? Does anyone know?)

Long story short, i fell 1 1/2 years ago and after months of pain, was just seen and told that surgery would be the best option to fix the stretched ligaments. With my schedule with school, the drs are trying to arrange it around thanksgiving break - but i would need to get the procedure done on a friday (19th) and be able to sit in class all day (a wheelchair with leg propped would be fine) by the next monday (22nd), and be fully functioning and aware by the next monday (29th). Can anyone who had the procedure please tell me their experiences in terms of healing and pain? This would be the full surgery, not a scope.

Getting it done soon (if i could sit through class) would be great, but i do have 2 later dates available (1 gives a 2 week recovery and the other a 4 week recovery time period) but have major disadvantages personally in terms of not seeing family in over 1 year.

Would it be possible to be up and about the monday after a friday ankle surgery?

Thank you so much for your input!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
(female)

soccerrocks37 HB User
Re: Brostrom / Lateral Ligament Repair

My daughter is having this procedure and she is having the porcedure on december 2 and the doctor said she could return at earliest on december 13. It really depends on your recovery time. Yes it is the brostrom you are having.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
(female)

marushka89 HB User

Actually, I had heavy Pain after this surgery. I did not expect it to be that bad. I stayed in hospital for 5 days. They said to me that I could do sitting work 2 weeks after the surgery earliest! Anyway...maybe you should let yourself more time for a real recovery. As my surgeon told me the recovery/rehab is the essential thing in this whole procedure. He said that if the patient is not doing it 100% right or is not willing to give 100% for his recovery, then this surgery would be useless. So, maybe it's better if you take some more days rest for your ankle. But of course I think it would be possible to attend, but be sure you must take a lot of analgetics to relief the pain.

I wish you a good surgery and an even better rehab. Good luck.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #4
(female)

kat6745 HB User

Hey, Peachykeen! Glad to see another San Antonio girl on the boards! I grew up there I faced the same decision as you are: trying to decide if I could or should get this surgery over a break from school. Well, I decided to go for it over the winter break. I'm off school for 5 weeks and will still be in the boot when I go back to school, but at least it'll all be done. Our story sounds similar, also, because I originally injured myself a year and a half ago and finally got sick of dealing with my ankle giving out, swelling and hurting all the time.

I had the same surgery (Brostrom - lateral ankle stabilization plus ankle scope) just 1 week ago today on 12/15/10. I am not going to tell you it was painless, but the pain has not been unbearable. I have to qualify that statement by saying I took the pain pills prescribed, religiously, every 4-6 hours for the first 3 days or so. This is very important. Also, my doctor did something to deaden the nerves in my ankle and foot (some kind of nerve block) during the surgery and that, thankfully, lasted for about a day and a half after the surgery. It did hurt once it wore off, but again, I knew it was gradually wearing off - it wasn't like all of a sudden a giant pain - more like pins & needles, followed by aching. By the time it wore off, the meds were in effect.

Also, ice and elevation can't be done enough. This has helped me so much, too. The more your elevated, the better. I even sleep with a floor pillow (like a square sofa throw pillow on steroids) in bed.

I was able to stop the pain meds about Saturday night (3 days post-op) and replace them with 800 mg. ibuprofen. Believe it or not, I've not needed to take anything for the last 2 days or so. I did take a pain pill before my doctor's appt. because of the length of time my leg would be down plus the fact that the dr. was messing around down there, moving my foot, etc.

I hope this helps somewhat. Don't worry, though, while we all have different levels of pain tolerance, I can tell you it has not been that bad so far. Nothing I couldn't handle. Just don't be afraid to take your pain meds at first! Don't let the pain set in, it's easier to keep it at bay than to push it back, if you know what I mean.

Good luck, take care and post with your progress!
Kathy

Last edited by kat6745; 12-22-2010 at 12:01 PM.

Closed Thread