It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2010, 06:15 AM   #1
(female)

Jilly22 HB User
Swollen Right Foot post Bunion Surgery

Hi. I had Bunion surgery on both feet 6 weeks ago. I now wear wide slippers. When I walk even for short periods of time around the house my right foot becomes very swoolen. I still elevate it in bed. This is preventing me for making a recovery and getting out into the outside world again. Could anybody throw any light on why this is happenning?. Many thanks.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
(female)

jpsumner HB User
Re: Swollen Right Foot post Bunion Surgery

You had major surgery done to your foot only 6 weeks ago. That is major trauma. It takes a full six months to a year for your body and your foot to recover from that trauma. Some patients that have bunionectomies have swelling upwards of a year. I had swelling 4-5 months post bunionectomy on both of my feet (one done in February and one done in June of this year). Please be patient. Keep elevating and icing it. The more you begin to walk on it and exercise it (with your doctor's permission), the more the swelling with reduce, but your body isn't going to work any miracles in a short amount of time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

be patience. this was major surgery. keep icing and elevate more.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

It takes time for our feet to heal. You had surgery only 6 weeks ago. This is not nearly enough time to heal. It will swell and change color. This is normal. I know it is frustrating, but try to be patient and give it time.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:12 AM   #5
(female)

Jilly22 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyluke View Post
It takes time for our feet to heal. You had surgery only 6 weeks ago. This is not nearly enough time to heal. It will swell and change color. This is normal. I know it is frustrating, but try to be patient and give it time.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #6
(female)

Jilly22 HB User
Unhappy Re: Swollen Right Foot post Bunion Surgery

Hi jpSumner. Thank you for replying to my post. I was horrified when you mentioned that you had swelling for 4-5 months post bunionectomy. You poor poor thing. I am terribly sorry. The thought of this happenning to me is making me think that I deeply regret having had the surgery done atall. This sounds worse than the pain and deformities that I had.

Hi debbie g. I will certainly ice my foot ASAP. Thank you.

Hi Missyuke. Yes, my foot changes colour as well as being swoolen. Thank you for replying.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
(female)

Jilly22 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly22 View Post
Hi jpSumner. Thank you for replying to my post. I was horrified when you mentioned that you had swelling for 4-5 months post bunionectomy. You poor poor thing. I am terribly sorry. The thought of this happenning to me is making me think that I deeply regret having had the surgery done atall. This sounds worse than the pain and deformities that I had.

Hi debbie g. I will certainly ice my foot ASAP. Thank you.

Hi Missyuke. Yes, my foot changes colour as well as being swoolen. Thank you for replying.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #8
(female)

Jilly22 HB User

My swollen foot has now become septic. I soaked it in warm water to try and ooze out the nasty infection that has set in. Yellow puss and blood is coming out. The doc came to see me. I am on a course of antibiotics. It is dreadfully painful and I am barely able to get to the toilet with crutches. I do hope I won't have to be hospitalised and put on iv antibiotics and worse still have my incision opened.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:34 AM   #9
(female)

jpsumner HB User

I don't regret having either surgery at all. I still have a lot of soreness while I run, especially in the right foot which was the worst, but it is so much better than the pain I had in the bunion when it was there.

Swelling is normal and can occur up to 6 months to a year post op. This is something your doctor should have talked to you about. I don't understand your regret now (only a few weeks after surgery) when long-term you will potentially be pain free. Patience is a tough thing to have, especially when we're not our normal selves, but in time you will be back to your old self again.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:56 AM   #10
(female)

Jilly22 HB User

Hi jpsummer. Thank you very much for replying. I spoke with my Ortho to-day on the phone. He said to stay on the high dose antibiotics and to come and see him next Tuesday in the OPD. He said he will take a swab. He said that if the infection, which at the moment is purulent pus, has not subsided that he there is a possibility that he may then have to remove the plate and pins. I just hope that this will occur. Happy Thanksgiving you deserve to have a wonderful day.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:58 AM   #11
(female)

Jilly22 HB User

Sorry I meant to say that I hope that this will NOT occur.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:23 AM   #12
(female)

eyelure HB User

hi there, iam 11 weeks post op bilateral bunion surgery. i walked for about 1.5 hours in a shopping centre day before yday. yesterday...i was in agony..my left foot was really swollen and the bones of my feet were reallly quite painful. I don't elevate my feet anymore whilst sleeping. I did find applying arnica gel eased the pain.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:00 AM   #13
(female)

Jilly22 HB User

Hi eyelure. Thats was terrible that you couldn't walk around the shopping centre after 11 weeks post op. I am sure the pain must be awful. Do elevate your feet at night if you can tolerate it atall. I do hope with rest you will improve very soon.

Closed Thread