It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

ThaiBoxMike HB UserThaiBoxMike HB UserThaiBoxMike HB User
6 Months Post PTTD op, Osteotomy site pain, Cortisone shot & plate removal

Had PTTD reconstruction and lateral column lengthening 6 months ago. Was hoping to good by now, but have pretty significant pain at times on the outside of my foot where the osteotomy was performed; plate and 4 screws there. My surgeon believes the pain may be due to my tendon rubbing over the plate. He feels a cracking when I get on my toes, and touching it doesn't cause me to have any pain, so he's ruled out pain from a nerve or tear.

He recommended I come in for a cortisone shot to be done AROUND the tendon (not on/in it), to see if the pain subsides and to see if swelling goes down. He says if a month later I am still having pain, then he will proceed with removing the plate and screws.

Anyone had the osteotomy plate removed?? What did it involve? Was it under general anesthesia? What was recovery like?

Also, has anyone had a cortisone shot in the foot area? I almost wish he'd just skip the shot and go straight to the plate removal. He's conservative though and takes his time.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Re: 6 Months Post PTTD op, Osteotomy site pain, Cortisone shot & plate removal

anyone have any input regarding cortisone shot in the foot and removal of hardware from the foot?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

ThaiboxMike: I am 3 months post op pttd reconstruction and have had bad pain on top of my foot. My surgeon said it was my ankle joint (the one area that was not touched!) and I was given a cortisone injection today in the area of the ankle joint.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

25 yr old son had the screws put in his feet, both at same time, because of flat feet and legs hurting. He was 14 when they did it. He had casts on both feet and legs...had to learn to walk again, no joke. Physical therapy for weeks and weeks. Now at 25, he says in the winter his feet kill him. He thinks its the cold affecting the metal screws. he wished he had never had the surgery.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

I've done both - cortisone injections and hardware removal not to mention experiencing the care of a very conservative dr.

For me the cortisone shots have worked to relieve the pain sometimes and other times haven't done me any good. It is a good diagnostic tool though, so the dr may get valuable information he needs to decide if the hardware removal would work or not.

It can be frustrating when you have dealt with a problem for as long as you have. I have learned after talking with my doc that it was frustrating for them too. They feel disappointed that they haven't fixed our issue with the first couple of treatments.

So, at this point I believe your doc is prob being extra cautious to ensure you don't go through another surgery which could possibly be unnecessary. I know my doc became really sensitive to my work situation and tried as hard as he could to make sure I didn't miss any more work. He even apologized if I had to wait too long in the waiting room because he knew I was coming over my lunch hour (i had used up all my personal and fmla time by that point).

It is a tough balance for them to be mindful of. I finally told my doc - look, I appreciate your conservative approach, but at this point I just want to be better. So, if you think an injection is just going to relieve pain for the short term but surgery would permanently relieve it I would rather just have the surgery now so I can put all of this behind me. He listened and told me he needed to do the injection for diagnostic reasons but he assured me we wouldn't drag our feet deciding what to do next. So, we decided that day that if the shot didn't work after 2 weeks we would schedule surgery. That helped my mental state since it relieved some of my frustration. You might just want to have an open dialogue with your doc and tell him what you are feeling. I think it helps!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 11-29-2010, 06:32 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

StepByStep, thank you so much! Actually, that was almost the exact conversation I had with my doctor. He's being conservative. He said that if a month after the shot I am still having the pain, he will proceed with the hardware removal, but wants to see how I will respond to the cortisone. He said he won't inject my tendon, but the inflamed area around it.

Like you, I am frustrated, and would rather I jsut go straight to the procedure that has a higher chance of making me better. If I could choose, I'd have him remove the hardware this week. But I will be optomistic about this injection and see how I respond to it.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

By the way StepByStep, did you experience any benefits from the hardware removal???

Old 11-29-2010, 01:36 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

jessigrl HB Userjessigrl HB User

Hi I am sorry your having foot pain. I am 13 days post bunionectomy and my doctor said it was rare for someone to still have pain. I am having lots of pain still.

I have a pin insterted into my big toe and my doctor wants to leave it in. I was hoping it would be removed. I hope it does not give me any trouble he said if it did he could remove it in the office. YUCK.

Good luck with your inflammation. I hope the cortizone will help it for you.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:17 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Had a cortisone injection near the site of the osteotomy. Doctor said he believes I have tendonitis because the tendon is rubbing against the plate.

I ran for my first time in a year yesterday. I was so so so happy. I didn't want to push it because I know the cortisone can make you think you are better than you are. Doctor said to give it a week before I push it.

Things are almost there. I really feel though that I'll be the best when/if he removes the plate and screws.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

hardware removal scheduled for January 6th. hopefully this will aleviate the leftover pain I have.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

hardware came out today. There is almost no pain, this is great. Much easier than the ptt reconstruction and osteotomy. I'm scheduled to have the stitches out in two weeks. Anyone have an idea of what the average time is before someone can walk after something like this?

Old 01-07-2011, 04:22 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiBoxMike View Post
Had PTTD reconstruction and lateral column lengthening 6 months ago. Was hoping to good by now, but have pretty significant pain at times on the outside of my foot where the osteotomy was performed; plate and 4 screws there. My surgeon believes the pain may be due to my tendon rubbing over the plate. He feels a cracking when I get on my toes, and touching it doesn't cause me to have any pain, so he's ruled out pain from a nerve or tear.

He recommended I come in for a cortisone shot to be done AROUND the tendon (not on/in it), to see if the pain subsides and to see if swelling goes down. He says if a month later I am still having pain, then he will proceed with removing the plate and screws.

Anyone had the osteotomy plate removed?? What did it involve? Was it under general anesthesia? What was recovery like?

Also, has anyone had a cortisone shot in the foot area? I almost wish he'd just skip the shot and go straight to the plate removal. He's conservative though and takes his time.
I had plate removed from my osteotomy as well as fixing a tear in my PTT they found during the plate removal. It made a huge difference. It was general, but went home the same day.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

I had my screws out about 3 weeks ago. The doctor had me in a huge bandage from my toes to about 3 inches above the ankle to prevent infection. I was able to walk wearing a surgical sandal on the bandage with no real pain. After about ten days, my back started killing me because my legs were uneven so the doctor gave me permission to switch to a small bandage. My stitches were removed on Tuesday and I am feeling great.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:31 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

I have a similar bandage but am not doing any type of walking. After the bandages came off, were you walking in shoes??

Old 01-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

When I had the huge bandage, I was given clearance to walk with the bandaged foot in a surgical sandal, the kind that goes over a cast. Walking caused NO pain. When I called the doctor and he gave me clearance to remove the huge bandage and just put a small bandage on my heal, I was able to wear two shoes. The day that the screws were removed, the Dr. had be get a ct scan to make sure that the osteotomy had COMPLETELY healed. Maybe he let me weight bear immediately because he was confident the there was sufficient healing and damage to the osteotomy was not an issue

Closed Thread