It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2010, 05:28 AM   #1
(male)

rjoseph HB Userrjoseph HB User
Itching Under Cast

I am seven weeks post flat foot reconstruction surgery, and over the past week I have been itching more and more under the cast. I was able to ice it before and the itching would stop, but no longer. I really don't want to stick something down there, fearing it might do something to the incisions. I go to see the doctor in a little over a week, but I do not know if I can take it much longer. Those of you who have been in a cast, what have you done?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Re: Itching Under Cast

One thing I heard of is to set a hairdryer on the cool setting and blow the air down into the cast. Hopefully that will help. I am now19 weeks post flat foot reconstruction. It does get better. I am transitioning from the boot to a show. I can now go for several hours in a shoe with an aso brace as long as I am not doing excessive walking. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

rjoseph,

I agree with you - I would definitely stay away from poking something down in your cast because you could damage the incision and really get yourself in a bad way.

I used to shift my leg around within the cast or even lay on the couch with my leg in a different position (like resting it on the inside of my calf instead of the back of it). Sometimes that would help. I would also try to take my mind off of it by reading online or watching a movie (although that is easier said than done).

If you feel like the itch may be due to some kind of allergy benadryl may help.

Good luck and keep posting!

Step

Old 11-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
(male)

rjoseph HB Userrjoseph HB User

Thanks for the advice. I tried the hairdryer, but unfortunately it did not work. It is not an allergy, jut itchy dry skin (it has been 4 weeks since my last cast change). I just cannot wait until next week when I'll be moving into a boot!!!

Old 11-29-2010, 10:52 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

amyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB User

I used to use pipe cleaners, (if there was enough room) bending them so nothing would catch on anything and it did it very gently. Worked for me.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:47 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjoseph View Post
Thanks for the advice. I tried the hairdryer, but unfortunately it did not work. It is not an allergy, jut itchy dry skin (it has been 4 weeks since my last cast change). I just cannot wait until next week when I'll be moving into a boot!!!
Benadryl or some other anti-histamine will help whether it's an allergy or not.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:23 AM   #7
(female)

Firelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB User

I used the blunt end of a chopstick. It's kind of squared off so nothing too sharpe to scratch and injure the skin. It worked wonderfully!! When you get the cast off you will see why so itchy. The dry peeling skin is really quite gross.

Closed Thread