It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
(female)

DDLewis HB User
Thumbs up Bilateral Bunionectomy & Hammertoe Correction

Hi everyone, I underwent a bilateral bunionectomy and correction of the my 4th toe on both feet for hammertoe correction on November 25, 2010 (Thursday). My surgery was done around 1pm and I was home in my own bed by 6pm. I was quite uncomfortable and tired on thursday and slept right thru until the next morning taking Percocet every 4 hours. The following 2 days I kept up with the Percocet every 4 hours and sat or layed with my feet up all day. Sunday I was able to make it out to the car for a drive (as a passenger of course) to help cure my complete boredom. Today, Monday, I have gone the entire day with no pain meds and am quite comfortable. I am able to get around with no crutches simply walking on my heels. If I'm up for over 10 mins I feel my feet starting to swell and ensure I get myself back to the couch and put my feel up. I had heard horror stories and read several things that had scared me before I went...but I must say I have been pleasantly surprised. I'm anxious to see how my feet will be after I am healed. I'm sure I will have ups and downs during my recovery but I wanted to give some hope to others whom are considering undergoing the same procedure. I would be interested to hear feedback from others

The following user gives a hug of support to DDLewis:
busy27bee (02-07-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to DDLewis For This Useful Post:
AlliG1 (03-01-2011)
Old 12-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
(female)

ASinclair HB User
Smile Re: Bilateral Bunionectomy & Hammertoe Correction

Hi there!

I had the same operation as you, on exactly the same day, last Thursday at 2.30pm here in London. Although, I didn't have hammertoe correction. It sounds like you are doing really well. I'm also doing well with my feet. Although I'm limiting my movement entirely and not even putting my feet down but sitting on my bottom and sort of pulling myself along just to get to the bathroom etc. I do look really silly!

I was told by my physio that it was best to limit time on my feet to the absolute minimum as any swelling whatsoever slows down the healing process and can lead to prolonged swelling much later down the line. I know there will always be conflicting ideas about things but I was just a bit worried when you said you were on your heels for a while, maybe it would be safer to stop standing before you notice the swelling? [FONT="Arial"][/FONT] I know it's so boring though!

My whole experience has been complicated by the fact that the skin at the back of my throat was ripped up with the intubation tube and I've been suffering with an infection. Apart from that, I'd be feeling good!

Good luck with your recovery, it would be great to compare notes and see how we both get on since we had the op on the very same day

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
(female)

DDLewis HB User
Re: Bilateral Bunionectomy & Hammertoe Correction

Hi there...good to hear some more positive feedback. I am still doing well although I think I may have overdone it yesterday on my feet so today I spent all day on the couch with my feet up. Even having "overdone" it, I still can't complain. I had some discomfort when going to bed last night my feet felt swollen and were tinging some with pain. I took a Percocet and Celebrax which they gave me for swelling. I find the most discomfort now is that my feet are hot & itchy. The bandages they have on my feet feel like I have really heavy socks on that are falling off. I'm anxious to go see my Dr on the 7th of Dec. I'm not positive but I think he will be removing my stitches and rebandaging my feet at that point. Another thing I have noticed is I seem to get extra itchy after taking Percocet. At least I believe itching can be a sign of healing!

I don't know about you but I have discovered daytime television to be totally boring! lol

Old 12-02-2010, 08:12 AM   #4
(female)

ASinclair HB User

I'm the same with the heat and the itching, and with the bandages feeling heavy. There's another strange symptom that I'm having - my right big toe jumps now and again, it sort of moves of its own accord and it's quite sore when it does. Have you had anything like that?

I'd love to know how you get on at your appointment. Mine is on the 10th, I'm anxious to go back too!

Old 12-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #5
(female)

DDLewis HB User

Well last night wasn't the best again...I woke up in the night and my left foot was tingling quite badly. It felt really swollen. I got up to use the washroom and noticed 2 veins in the front of my left leg were really protruding too. When I got back in bed I noticed it felt better to have my legs down rather than propped up on pillows. This surprised me as I thought I was supposed to keep them elevated. I'm not too bad today, but my ankles and feet are swollen and really hot. My feet are so hot my toes are read. I figure its most likely due to all the bandages and stuffing they have on my feet. I'm sure the swelling produces heat too. Having another day sitting on my hind end!

I noticed last night when I was itchy and scratched that my nerves in my foot were tingling. I think it must be the nerves also healing from the surgery. I also notice my toes twitch sometimes. Feels like you don't have control over your own body lol.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
(female)

ASinclair HB User

Oh no, that sounds really uncomfortable. Keep those feet up DD

I've had times when the veins on the front of my legs are protruding a lot and I've put it down to the blood rushing to my feet to help the wounds. I've also felt at times that it was too uncomfortable to put my feet up. I know, I agree that doesn't seem to make sense does it? I just kept changing over, laying them down then putting them up on cushions again. Although, I didn't get much sleep doing that.

I'm having a terrible time with my throat. It was so badly bruised and infected by the endotracheal tube during surgery that I've been in agony. Because of that I'm on really strong antibiotics and large doses of co-codamol, tramadol and diclofenac. So I'm sleeping for most of the day which helps in a strange way as I'm not bored at all and not tempted, and actually am too weak, to walk.

Do you feel like you were given enough information on what to do with your feet after the operation? I don't feel like I was told about what to expect etc and it seems a lot of people are in the same boat. I wonder if the surgeons and other doctors just don't realise how tough it is to deal with once you're back at home.

I hope you're feeling a bit better!!

Old 12-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
(female)

DDLewis HB User

I agree...I wasn't given alot of information about aftercare other than to walk on my heels and keep my feet elated. That must really not be fun to have your throat all cut up...but as you say at least it relieves your boredom by sleeping so much. Hopefully your able to sleep at night!

My boyfriend took my bandages off and re-wrapped them tonight as they were really messed up and uncomfortable. Luckily he's a volunteer Fire fighter and has some training in that type of stuff. It's much more comfortable now! I am anxious to see how things look under the bandages now...few more days for that

Old 12-03-2010, 03:16 PM   #8
(female)

ASinclair HB User
Talking Re: Bilateral Bunionectomy & Hammertoe Correction

I had a sneaky look at mine on Sunday night. I thought I'd ripped my stitches so went to Accident and Emergency and the nurse unwrapped everything on my right foot, which had the more serious surgery on it. I was almost too nervous to look but when I did, I couldn't believe what I saw.

I'd expected my foot to be very, very swollen and bruised black and blue. But it looked almost perfect! It was this tiny wee perfect foot that just happened to have two lots of very neat stitches on it and was covered in yellow from the iodene. It looked like there had never, ever been a bunion there! Now, I don't know what's going on under those bandages now, and I have no idea what happened to the left foot - there were two surgeons working on each foot at once so I'm hoping the ones working on the left were as good as the right! I'm getting more and more nervous as the days go by.

I just wish I could control these feet in my sleep! How are you getting on now? I've had my mum with me for the past week and she's leaving London tomorrow so I'm really going to miss her and how helpful she's been Hope you're doing well xx

Old 12-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #9
(female)

DDLewis HB User

Hi there, I'm feeling better today...slept much better last night. My feet seem to swell easier than they did at first. They are sooooo itchy! Thats great that you were so happy with the looks of your foot...I'm sure your other will be just as good. I'm wondering if my shoe size will increase now that my toes are straight. I hope not as I was a size 10 before! I will be excited to go sandal shopping next summer...I should have many more options than before! Oh and I received my handicapped parking permit in the mail today....it doesn't expire until November 2015! lol

Old 12-04-2010, 06:21 AM   #10
(female)

ASinclair HB User

Yup, my feet are now driving me crazy! Hot and itchy all night. And I keep dancing about with them in my sleep! I wake up and there they are jigging about as if I'm actually dancing, and I'm moving my big toes about and everything. I wish I knew how to stop it. I just hope I'm not doing any damage to the toes.

I wonder if that's common, or if my feet are just particularly bonkers?!

Only a few days to go til your appointment. Hope all's well over there x

Old 12-04-2010, 07:42 AM   #11
(female)

DDLewis HB User

If I had a wire brush I would have to really stop myself from using it! lol My feet are so itchy today! I had a hard time sleeping last night as my feet were so hot - feels like I have wool socks on! I'm planning on attempting to have a tub bath today...I figure I should be able to manoveur into the tub and leave my feet sticking out. I'll let you know how that works out! lol

Last edited by moderator2; 12-05-2010 at 11:42 AM.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:00 AM   #12
(female)

eyelure HB User

hey there, I noticed you had your surgery in London. Where did you have it done? I also had mine done in london 12 weeks ago. It has been such a struggle....make sure you keep moving your toes and as soon as ur able to start exercising your toes..make sure you do! I had hardly any info following the op so i had to read lots and lots off the internet!

The Following User Says Thank You to eyelure For This Useful Post:
ASinclair (12-04-2010)
Old 12-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #13
(female)

ASinclair HB User
Smile Re: Bilateral Bunionectomy & Hammertoe Correction

I did a hair wash hanging over the side of the bath last night with my mum helping then did a sort of body wash with a hot soapy flannel, was heaven!!! lol. Funny how simple things make such a difference when you're laid up with two bandaged feet : )

Good luck with the tub, keep those bandages dry : ) x

Old 12-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #14
(female)

ASinclair HB User

[QUOTE=eyelure;4635451]the above message was meant for ASinclair[/QUOTE]

Hi Eyelure, I had mine at the Chelsea and Westminster. Where did you go? I'm so glad you said to keep my toes moving, did you see my post about me not being able to stop them from moving?

It's really tough isn't it? I feel very much out in the wilderness at the moment.

I'm still pulling myself along on my bottom as I'm to scared to walk after attempting it initially as directed by the physio.

How are you getting along now? xx

Last edited by ASinclair; 12-04-2010 at 11:31 AM.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #15
(female)

DDLewis HB User

The tub worked out great.....kinda dropped in from backwards and kept my feet up...then afterwards I was able to get myself back on the edge. I guess its good I'm still young and flexible enough to do that!

Closed Thread