It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2010, 05:09 AM   #1
(female)

eyelure HB User
Gym exercises following bunion surgery

Hi guys, I am about 12 weeks post op bilateral bunionectomy (osteotomy). My surgeon has said I am able to go back to the gym but I'm kind of unsure what kind of things I should be doing. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Many thanks

Old 12-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Gym exercises following bunion surgery

Other than asking your surgeon, what did you want to do that concerns you? Other than calf raises and lunges, I can't think of any standard gym stuff that you might need to watch out for. I'm talking free weights and machine work outs. Now, Zumba, yoga, aerobics classes, etc may be a problem but you should ask for specifics.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User

I had my bunion surgeries last year, but from what I recall, my surgeon said I could swim and walk on the treadmill or elliptical. I'm 55 and am now able to run a little over a mile!

Old 12-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
(female)

jpsumner HB User

At 12 weeks post op, I was cleared to do anything. Is this the case? You should ask your doctor. I started off by riding the stationary bike and swimming and then gradually working my way to using the eliptical and back to running. The eliptical and running took a long time to get back to where I was before surgery. I could also only do small increments of time - 10 minutes here and then the next week I would increase from 10 to 15, etc.

You should always check with your doctor before you begin to exercise to make sure your bone had healed enough to support the exercise.

The Following User Says Thank You to jpsumner For This Useful Post:
eyelure (12-08-2010)
Old 12-08-2010, 03:21 AM   #5
(female)

eyelure HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsumner View Post
At 12 weeks post op, I was cleared to do anything. Is this the case? You should ask your doctor. I started off by riding the stationary bike and swimming and then gradually working my way to using the eliptical and back to running. The eliptical and running took a long time to get back to where I was before surgery. I could also only do small increments of time - 10 minutes here and then the next week I would increase from 10 to 15, etc.

You should always check with your doctor before you begin to exercise to make sure your bone had healed enough to support the exercise.

yep surgeon said i was okay to go back to the gym. But im not sure what to start off doing. im still finding it pretty difficult to walk, as having lots of pain in the toe joint. I wanted to get back to Bikram yoga...but not sure if the 37 deg heet will cause my foot to swell?

Old 12-08-2010, 04:11 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

"go back to the gym" can mean different thinks. Did he know what all you do at the gym? Does he think you just walk on a treadmill? Or do yoga? Or jog? or do calf raises? All sorts of options under "gym." Just call and ask.

What kind of exercises are you doing as rehab?

Old 12-08-2010, 06:34 AM   #7
(female)

jpsumner HB User

Just because you're healed enough to do any type of exercise DOES NOT mean you should rush back into your old activities. Especially if you are still sore or are in any discomfort. I'd start off with something easy like extending your walking time or riding a stationary bike and gradually ease back into a work out routine. Heat and sweating will definitely cause your foot to swell. The good news is the more you exercise, the swelling will decrease faster.

Closed Thread