HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Foot & Ankle Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/)
-   -   Final X-Ray -- cast on or off? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/826714-final-x-ray-cast-off.html)

michlei 12-07-2010 01:57 PM

Final X-Ray -- cast on or off?

Is there a standard practice for the 6-week (and hopefully final) x-ray before I am cast free? When I called to make an appt. the nurse asked if I was having the x-ray before or after the cast was removed. I've never had a broken bone, so told her I had no idea. I'd assumed it would be before the cast was removed... but I know they get a better picture with the cast off.

What's everyone else's experience been? (As you can gather, I have a fiberglass cast, not the boot).

Also, should I expect to be able to put my foot in a shoe of some sort once the cast is taken off? Just want to know what to bring with me and the nurses don't always know.

A bit concerned as well as my doctor is fully booked up and I have to have another doctor in the practice take the cast off etc. unless I want to wait to the 7 week mark to see my own doctor (NOT!).

Do you have suggestions about what I should ask re: after the cast is removed? I am going to ask about weight bearing and whether to expect swelling, etc. but what are some other good questions to ask my doctor?

michlei 12-07-2010 05:06 PM

Re: Final X-Ray -- cast on or off?

Just to let you know that I did hear back from the doctor's office and they will be taking the x-ray with the cast still on. Hopefully they can see it well enough to know if it's healed enough to take the cast off, but I guess if they can't, they will have me do another with the cast off.

This healing process sure calls for patience -- just 2 or 3 days ago, I was really worried about getting the cast off as it was getting sore sore at the fracture site when I put any weight on it, but today all of a sudden it seems much better. The hard part is not to go and overdo because it feels so good so being careful. Now looking forward to the end of this whole process in a couple weeks when I can hopefully ditch the crutches totally after having the cast off in a week.

dexatech 12-08-2010 07:19 AM

"Hopefully they can see it well enough to know if it's healed enough to take the cast off, but I guess if they can't, they will have me do another with the cast off."

Although a dr. can tell if it's healed with the cast on, they will do another without the cast to be sure.

michlei 12-08-2010 09:07 AM

I wouldn't count on that. My take is that this will be it unless I have issues after.

Titchou 12-09-2010 04:32 AM

Keep in mind also that you may still have the cast past that time frame. It's not a hard and fast time frame as everyone heels differently.

michlei 12-09-2010 08:59 AM

[QUOTE=Titchou;4638511]Keep in mind also that you may still have the cast past that time frame. It's not a hard and fast time frame as everyone heels differently.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know.... but I'm trying not to think about that possibility! :o)