It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User
Final X-Ray -- cast on or off?

Is there a standard practice for the 6-week (and hopefully final) x-ray before I am cast free? When I called to make an appt. the nurse asked if I was having the x-ray before or after the cast was removed. I've never had a broken bone, so told her I had no idea. I'd assumed it would be before the cast was removed... but I know they get a better picture with the cast off.

What's everyone else's experience been? (As you can gather, I have a fiberglass cast, not the boot).

Also, should I expect to be able to put my foot in a shoe of some sort once the cast is taken off? Just want to know what to bring with me and the nurses don't always know.

A bit concerned as well as my doctor is fully booked up and I have to have another doctor in the practice take the cast off etc. unless I want to wait to the 7 week mark to see my own doctor (NOT!).

Do you have suggestions about what I should ask re: after the cast is removed? I am going to ask about weight bearing and whether to expect swelling, etc. but what are some other good questions to ask my doctor?

Last edited by michlei; 12-07-2010 at 02:10 PM.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User
Re: Final X-Ray -- cast on or off?

Just to let you know that I did hear back from the doctor's office and they will be taking the x-ray with the cast still on. Hopefully they can see it well enough to know if it's healed enough to take the cast off, but I guess if they can't, they will have me do another with the cast off.

This healing process sure calls for patience -- just 2 or 3 days ago, I was really worried about getting the cast off as it was getting sore sore at the fracture site when I put any weight on it, but today all of a sudden it seems much better. The hard part is not to go and overdo because it feels so good so being careful. Now looking forward to the end of this whole process in a couple weeks when I can hopefully ditch the crutches totally after having the cast off in a week.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2010, 07:19 AM   #3
(male)

dexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB User

"Hopefully they can see it well enough to know if it's healed enough to take the cast off, but I guess if they can't, they will have me do another with the cast off."

Although a dr. can tell if it's healed with the cast on, they will do another without the cast to be sure.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

I wouldn't count on that. My take is that this will be it unless I have issues after.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:32 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Keep in mind also that you may still have the cast past that time frame. It's not a hard and fast time frame as everyone heels differently.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:59 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Keep in mind also that you may still have the cast past that time frame. It's not a hard and fast time frame as everyone heels differently.
Yeah, I know.... but I'm trying not to think about that possibility! )

Closed Thread