It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2010, 12:21 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Peroneal Tendonitis vs Peroneal Tears?

Can anyone who has had either (or both) of these injuries tell me what your symptoms were? I've had a modified brostrom for a torn ATFL and CFL. I've also popped the retinaculum, torn cartilage, broke 3 toes (at the same time on one foot), and had a Jones fracture, as well as 2 significant sprains. All these happened a few years after the Brostrom. I was told at the time of the cartilage tear, sprain, and Jones fracture (all happened at once) that I would need surgery again to remove scar tissue and floating cartilage (but I did not mess up the Brostrom thankfully). I have put off this surgery. I have been having pain in the area where the peroneal tendons are. Behind the lateral malleolus and near the achilles. At first it was off and on and it has become more frequent. I read that peroneal tears and tendonitis are very common after a Jones fracture because of the mechanism of injury. My peroneal muscles are also knotted up and I've tried to massage them out myself and tried professional massage. Is this also pointing to a peroneal tendon problem? Anyone with any insight?

Old 12-09-2010, 12:44 AM   #2
(female)

mejanie HB User
Re: Peroneal Tendonitis vs Peroneal Tears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood48 View Post
Can anyone who has had either (or both) of these injuries tell me what your symptoms were? I've had a modified brostrom for a torn ATFL and CFL. I've also popped the retinaculum, torn cartilage, broke 3 toes (at the same time on one foot), and had a Jones fracture, as well as 2 significant sprains. All these happened a few years after the Brostrom. I was told at the time of the cartilage tear, sprain, and Jones fracture (all happened at once) that I would need surgery again to remove scar tissue and floating cartilage (but I did not mess up the Brostrom thankfully). I have put off this surgery. I have been having pain in the area where the peroneal tendons are. Behind the lateral malleolus and near the achilles. At first it was off and on and it has become more frequent. I read that peroneal tears and tendonitis are very common after a Jones fracture because of the mechanism of injury. My peroneal muscles are also knotted up and I've tried to massage them out myself and tried professional massage. Is this also pointing to a peroneal tendon problem? Anyone with any insight?
I just had surgery for lateral tears in both peroneal tendons as well as a severly torn retinaculum (the tendon that holds the peroneals in place) 5 days ago. This is the third surgery and hopfully the last in a year and a half after falling off a very high ladder and shattering my calcaneous (heel). I have been in chronic pain since. In may they found that my subtaylor joint had degenerated and needed to be fused. Hoping that would end the pain but it continued. Since the initial fall, I have had horrible pain under my ankle bone and up the out side of my leg. I have tried everything, PT, massage, rest to no avail. I finally told my surgeon I am convinced I damaged some soft tissue. He agreed to do an MRI. Now I had complained of this over a year ago and was given an MRI and was told it was just inflamation. I insisted on having another one about a year later. It did show some minor damage which he thought might go away if I wear an insert in my shoe or he could do an exploratory surgery. I instinctively knew I had damage and know one would take me seriously. I opted for another surgery as I have been suffering long enough. He was astounded on what he found. Both peroneal tendons had very long tears (shredding) in them which he stitched all back together and as I stated earlier, i had a torn retinaculum as well that was beyond repair. He ended up making a deeper groove where the peroneals were supposed to sit but were always popping out (very painful). and then he drilled to little holes on the top part of the ankle bone where he ran sutures through to hold the tendons in place. My point is, trust your instinct. It sounds like you have some damage. At the very least, get an MRI and know that the MRI's don't always show what the real damage is. When my Dr saw the amount of damage I had, he was convinced that is what was causing all my pain since all my bones are healed. Our instincts are there for a reason. We must trust them and be proactive sometimes having to insist on treatment even when the Dr.s say nothing is really wrong. Please let me know what you find out. I hope your suffering will end soon...

Last edited by mejanie; 12-09-2010 at 12:49 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Re: Peroneal Tendonitis vs Peroneal Tears?

Wow, you went through a lot! I agree that instincts are there for a reason! I also agree that MRIs don't always show everything. When I had my MRI to diagnose the torn ligaments, it showed that my ATFL was torn, but my CFL was "poorly visualized". The initial procedure was supposed to be arthroscopic, but when he discovered the ATFL was torn (and it wasn't just instability) and b/c my exam alerted him to a torn CFL, he decided to do an open surgery. Glad he did b/c he found a lot in there too and did the modified brostrom. I've been told I "popped" the retinaculum. Not sure what that means. I guess I'm headed for another doctor's visit which is what I'm really trying to avoid. I hate going. Thank you for your reply! Hope you're feeling better soon!

Closed Thread