It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
(female)

mags51 HB User
Pain when walking after bunion surgery.

i had my operation sept 16th and i too still have pain when walking. I can walk for a few minutes and then the pain starts underneath my big toe joint so badly that i have to limp, its as if the bunion pain has moved to underneath and is no longer on the side of my foot. I can bend my toe back and forth without the pain using my hands but like you as soon as i try doing the same standing and putting weight on it the pain returns.My consultant said i should wait until January 17th before i see him again and is not concerned . i tried to wear a 'nice' shoe on friday as had a christmas party but that was a big mistake as my foot swelled and was agony....i will let you know if things change and hope you soon get back to normal. it helps to know that i am not the only one with these symptoms and am sorry you are suffering the same

Old 12-06-2010, 07:40 AM   #2
(female)

Geria HB User
Re: Pain when walking after 11 weeks post bunion surg

Hi. Sorry you are still having pain now. I would tell you to be patient because the swelling can last for up to a year and if affects everything! I am 14 MONTHS post op and still have really bad pain when I don't wear my shoes or Merrill sandals...I can't walk barefoot EVER without having severe pain. I've been back to the doctor so many times and had cortisone shots and had several rounds of PT...he said the surgery looks perfect - text book perfect, however, I still have the really tight band feeling over my big toe and where the 2nd metarsil was shortened feels tight and hurts alot. If I wear the wrong shoe I can hardly walk on my foot. Still swells at times. I traded one pain for the other... The entire problem began with a problem under my 2nd toe - so inorder to fix that problem I had to have the bunionectomy as well. The bunionectomy has healed nicely. Not sure if I will ever be out of pain. Let me know how you are healing as time goes on. I'm sure you will see a dramatic difference in a few months. Most people heal just fine. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
(female)

kailuagal HB User

Greetings,

I had my Austin bunionectomy with screw fix almost a year ago. Although the bone has healed, the ligament has contracted pulling my big toe back over to the second toe. I have seen the doctor, who admitted that the ligament "contracted." I asked for physical therapy, but have not been diligent about doing the exercises on my own.

Apparently the toe needs considerable stretching and exercise, as does the arch, and the pt worked for about 30 min of the hour and then it was"up to me." Others have had regular pt with guidance to insure that adequate stretching is done.

My toe looks worse than it did prior to surgery and now my toes are pushed toward the outside of the foot. I have a great shoe: Finn Comfort prevention sandal. They are homely, but the only shoe that works. I wore them all over china for 18 days of walking (limping).

I returned to the doctor who have me a velcro contraption that is supposed to pull the toe over, but it does not work. I am thinking of getting the "toe straigtener" sold in Foot Smart catalogue that Dr. Oz mentioned.

Yes, apparently many people are fine, but it may be my (gasp) advancing age and sedentary nature that contributed to my lasting problem.

I am sorry that you have had such pain. Are you walking on the outside of your foot?

Take care,
kailua gal

Old 12-07-2010, 07:51 AM   #4
(female)

Geria HB User

Oh my goodness ~ you must really be hurting. I had no idea all of this could happen. I did have 3 pins put in but had to have 2 taken out because they were so uncomfortable.

My life is sedentary as well - my foot hurts to much to exercise in a tennis shoe - can't really exercise in my Naot shoes or Merrill sandals. I try to walk by parking farther away or walking the mall, but can't take Zumba or anything like that. Each time I told the dr. I was going to PT he told me to stop and just walk. He thought the PT might be making it worse. Last time I went he said he thought it could be arthritis... don't walk on the side of my foot - able to walk correctly WITH SHOES. I have started to wear my orthotics again - seems to help a bit. Good luck to you too! (All of this has made me very shy to surgery). Geria

Old 12-08-2010, 03:13 AM   #5
(female)

eyelure HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geria View Post
Oh my goodness ~ you must really be hurting. I had no idea all of this could happen. I did have 3 pins put in but had to have 2 taken out because they were so uncomfortable.

My life is sedentary as well - my foot hurts to much to exercise in a tennis shoe - can't really exercise in my Naot shoes or Merrill sandals. I try to walk by parking farther away or walking the mall, but can't take Zumba or anything like that. Each time I told the dr. I was going to PT he told me to stop and just walk. He thought the PT might be making it worse. Last time I went he said he thought it could be arthritis... don't walk on the side of my foot - able to walk correctly WITH SHOES. I have started to wear my orthotics again - seems to help a bit. Good luck to you too! (All of this has made me very shy to surgery). Geria

Oh my gosh...im around 12 weeks post op and boy does it still hurt at the joint when walkng. I am doing to exercises now and again ...not sure if they are doing much. I can only wal really eally short distances. Im very flat footed so i suppose that doesnt work. But i am having real struggle tring to find a pair of trainers. What exactly are tennis shoes and who makes them and wheres the best place to buy them?? thanks xx

Old 12-08-2010, 08:01 AM   #6
(female)

kailuagal HB User

Hi,

I have been meaning to go to see my general practitioner and not my my podiatrist. Is your podiatrist or your physician telling you to stop seeing the pt and to use your shoes? My fear is that the foot problem is spreading. I have a tendency to walk on the outside of my foot and it is affecting my knee, which in turn will affect my hip and back. Although I keep trying to "live with it," I have heard stories of people who "graduate" to knee surgery, weight gain, and more. Yikes!

Hence, since podiatrists are not physicians, I am thinking that they do not always understand the repercussions of incorrect walking. The pt did try to encourage me to do strengthening exercises, but I fear that I need someone who works with me weekly, running me through the exercises, rather than showing me and then telling me to go home to do them. Terrible, I know, but it is what has been happening. I finally stopped going to the pt since I was there for only about 15 minutes!

Shoes. I went to buy the wide toe box NB, but because of the problems on the outside little toe now, they hurt my feet. So, as I mentioned earlier, the only sandals which work were the Finn Comfort pervention sandals. They are expensive, but are fully lined and are actually meant for people with diabetes.

Good luck to you and let me know how you progress.

kailuagal

Old 12-23-2010, 07:45 AM   #7
(female)

indifferent to HB User

I had a bunion on each side of my right foot and also my toes were crossed over. I had surgery on 10/27 /2010.
It has been almost 2 months They took off the bunions and straightened my toes and put pins in 4 of them and a screw in the big toe. I had the pins removed on 12/9, didn't hurt a bit but after leaving the Dr's I went and got a pair of ECCO sandals. by the time I got home I was in severe pain from the shoes. Called the Dr and was told to put the boot back on for 2 more weeks. I then went to buy more shoes and decided on the Etnies skate shoe. So far they have been wonderful. they are very stiff soled and cushiony inside. Just wanted to let everyone know your first shoes out of the boot try a pair of the Etnie skate shoes, they are perfect for us that have had bunion surgery.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:23 AM   #8
(female)

kailuagal HB User

I wish you well on your recovery. Be aware that that foot may be weak for a while, and that it helps to strengthen that foot. I learned a few exercises from my physical therapist. I have learned that it is important to follow up on them.

Because my foot is weakened, I sprained my ankle several months back, and it is a slow healing process.

I appreciate your info on the Etnies shoes. Could you specify what about them make them good for bunions?

Happy holidays!

Old 12-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
(female)

indifferent to HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailuagal View Post
I wish you well on your recovery. Be aware that that foot may be weak for a while, and that it helps to strengthen that foot. I learned a few exercises from my physical therapist. I have learned that it is important to follow up on them.

Because my foot is weakened, I sprained my ankle several months back, and it is a slow healing process.

I appreciate your info on the Etnies shoes. Could you specify what about them make them good for bunions?

Happy holidays!
thanks for replying to me. My surgeon never sent me to a PT, So I have had to deal with it on my own. It has been hell all the way around.
The shoes are obviously are for skate boarders but for us they are great because they have a very stiff sole which the dr. told me to get because I would not be able to bend my foot right now. Plus they are soft on the inside. they have worked out good for me. I can walk but since the shoe is stiff on the bottom it will not allow me to bend the foot. Plus there is no pressure on the areas that the bunions were removed. I had one below the big toe and a tailors below the little toe.
What was the excercises they gave you? they might help me.
I truly did not know what to get. I have been on a journey I never dreamed of when I decided to get this done. It is debiliatating to say the least.
No big Christmas dinners at our house this year.
Have a great christmas

Closed Thread