It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2010, 09:04 PM   #1
(female)

kat6745 HB User
Just had surgery...hope I didn't ruin it. :(

I had lateral ankle stabilization (Brostrom)/ankle scope surgery 10 days ago on 12/15 and think I may have really screwed up earlier today.

I'm halfway through the 3 week NWB phase as of today and accidentally stepped down really hard on my bad ankle/foot earlier. I was rolling along on my knee walker and I guess the seat height adjustment peg wasn't fully engaged when the seat slammed down to the lowest setting. I completely lost my balance and just instinctively stumbled and put my full weight (I'm what you'd call "fluffy") down on my surgery foot.

I iced and elevated and took a couple of Extra Strength Tylenol right away, but am having quite a bit of pain (this happened several hours ago...long enough for the Tylenol to wear off). I can't take anything except Acetominophen because I'm also on Lovenox to prevent blood clots.

Anyway, how can I tell if I "undid" the surgery or damaged something? I have an appointment to have my stitches removed in 2 days...I guess I'll just wait until then, because there's not really anything that anyone besides my foot doc that can do anything.

Has this happened to anyone else and was damage done or did it just hurt because of the recent surgery?

I'm probably (hopefully) worrying for nothing...but just wanting some feedback from anyone who might have had a similar experience.

Thanks,
Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2010, 05:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Re: Just had surgery...hope I didn't ruin it. :(

It sounds like you are very concerned!!!! I would strongly suggest that you call your surgeon's emergency number and explain what is going on.

Good luck and keep us posted

Old 12-26-2010, 06:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I would call the doctor's service. I came down on my foot when I was 6 wks post op and the doctor wanted me to come in right away and have x-rays. Everything is probably okay but I would let them know and let them decide whether to see you sooner or not.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
(female)

kat6745 HB User

Thanks Roxy & Missy

I just now got on the msg. board and saw your replies. My appointment is in the morning, so I think I'm going to call the office first thing since it's so late tonight. I've kept my splint on all day today and have iced & elevated most of the day and am not hurting quite so much.

I wish I'd gotten on her earlier today, doggone it. :/

Thanks again for your input! I'll post after my appointment tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed!

Kathy

Old 12-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

Good luck tomorrow

Old 12-26-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
(female)

FlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB User

I stepped on my surgery foot twice during no weight bearing, once in the first two weeks and then later. Both times it hurt and tingled and felt sore the next day but then it stopped hurting after that. No ill effects. Hope your doctor visit goes well, good luck.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

It's probably not a problem. I had a more serious surgery several years ago and tripped on my way home. When you're in the cast/splint, it's hard to really do any damage.

I just had the brostrom on my other ankle 12/16. My surgeon had no mandatory NWB period, so I've been doing some weight bearing since day one, and have been fully weight bearing since Wednesday.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:44 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

Good luck with your dr. appt/call. Let us know what he says.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:09 PM   #9
(female)

kat6745 HB User

Hi everybody! Thanks for all the well-wishes & replies!

You guys were right - my doc said that most likely there's nothing to worry about, but he will test it later on after more healing to make sure. He said that just putting weight on the foot/ankle, while painful, is not as likely to do actual damage as a twisting motion would have been. I told him I was wearing my splint, so he was pretty optimistic.

I got most of my stitches out today...there were a few that were not ready. Ew. It hurt pretty bad, but I may have just been a wimp. I also had my first physical therapy session today (minus the whirlpool) and am going twice more this week. That felt good.

Again, thanks for the input everybody! I really appreciate it.
Kathy

Old 12-27-2010, 07:49 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thats great news. I suspect that just about everyone accidently came down on their foot at one time or another

Old 12-27-2010, 08:21 PM   #11
(female)

kat6745 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehorner View Post
I just had the brostrom on my other ankle 12/16. My surgeon had no mandatory NWB period, so I've been doing some weight bearing since day one, and have been fully weight bearing since Wednesday.
Wow, kehorner, I am impressed. I couldn't walk right now if you paid me! Maybe one step, but that's about it! Are you on crutches or just the boot?

Kathy

Old 12-27-2010, 08:30 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

I'm in a standard fiberglass cast. I woke up from surgery in plaster, but that one was actually too loose, so I had to go in the next day to get it changed. It definitely hurt when I first started walking, but it will hurt when you first start walking no matter when you do it. The other ankle, I was NWB for 8 weeks, and it still hurt when I started walking. In both cases, it took about two days to be able to ditch the crutches. It did hurt, but it's definitely been worth it to get my arms back! Of course, now that I'm off the crutches, I've lost my being waited on hand and foot privileges.

The Following User Says Thank You to kehorner For This Useful Post:
kat6745 (12-28-2010)
Old 12-28-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
(female)

kat6745 HB User

Oh!!! You're in a cast...that makes sense. I'm not in a cast - my "naked" bandaged ankle is in the surgical splint (on the back side of my leg and foot...if that makes any sense) - which I am able to remove as needed, now. I kind of thought I'd be in a cast, but I guess every doc is different.

Glad to hear you're doing so well! Gives me inspiration

Kathy

Closed Thread