It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
(male)

Fitterfiddle HB User
Partial weight bearing walking aid?

Is there a walking aid that transfers most of the weight to the lower leg bypassing the foot?

After surgery, my doc say I can walk with partial weight on the foot. I prefer not to use crutches if possible. It is impossible to do many daily tasks with crutches (e.g. grocery shopping, driving a stick shift car)

I see devices like iwalkfree that doen't quite fit what I need. The idea of partial weight is to ease the foot back into service.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: Partial weight bearing walking aid?

Sorry, but the only way to do partial weight bearing is with crutches (or a walker). The rollers that you put your knee on are great for getting around non weight bearing, but there is no way to partial weight bear with those.

If you are creative, you will find that not much is impossible with crutches, just more difficult. For grocery shopping, you might find that using one crutch and the support of the crutch is adequate. Or you can use the electric cart. As for driving, you're sitting down, so your mobility aid makes no difference, you either can or you can't (check with your doctor). Depending on how much weight you are allowed to bear, you might be able to get by with a single crutch instead of two, which frees up one hand.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2011, 11:22 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User
Re: Partial weight bearing walking aid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitterfiddle View Post
Is there a walking aid that transfers most of the weight to the lower leg bypassing the foot?

After surgery, my doc say I can walk with partial weight on the foot. I prefer not to use crutches if possible. It is impossible to do many daily tasks with crutches (e.g. grocery shopping, driving a stick shift car)

I see devices like iwalkfree that doen't quite fit what I need. The idea of partial weight is to ease the foot back into service.
I found that once I was partial weightbearing that crutches were much easier to negotiate. The hard part of NWB was all your weight on the crutches (and the balancing), but once you can put even a bit of weight on your foot, you're more balance and can do things with your hands with the crutches tucked under your arms.

Grocery shopping would be difficult unless you use a motorized cart, and the stick shift is out until you can press a clutch with your left foot (with might take too much effort at this point.)

Closed Thread