It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
(female)

jd20 HB User
Bunion surgery wasn't so bad

I found these messages really helpful as I was getting ready for my bunion surgery and I thought I'd share my experience as well.

I had a 1st metatarsal proximal osteology and distal chevron procedure about 2 and a half weeks ago. I had my surgeon's assistant write the name of the surgery down so I could google it!

If I had known how easy the surgery was really going to be I could have saved myself SO much anxiety in advance. I was really afraid as I'd never had surgery and knowing I was going to be awake during the procedure freaked me right out. The pre-surgery anxiety and fear was WAY worse than the actual surgery. No one likes getting needles, so the needles to freeze my foot weren't fun, but in all honesty I really haven't experienced any pain at all.

The surgery took about 45 minutes, during which time I listened to my mp3 player and hid my head under the blanket - I'm way too squeamish to actually watch the surgery. The drugs they gave me were great and I really didn't experience anything that I'd describe as actual pain. I'm not at all afraid to get my other foot done.

I was a bit out of it for the first couple of days - slept a lot and was a bit sick from the drugs too. Luckily my mom and dad came and took care of me for the first 5 days. Then I was on my own. I had bought a cast cover and a little stool so I was able to shower fairly easily while sitting down and keeping my foot dry. I used a bag to carry food/drinks from room to room in my apartment and slept on the couch so that I wouldn't have to go upstairs to my bedroom. I've got crutches, but my doctor told me to "baby" my foot, so I've been trying to just take it easy. My apartment has two flights of stairs in it, which is pretty inconvenient. I just crawled up and down when necessary.

Mostly I just watched tv and read and kept my foot elevated as I'd been instructed. Two weeks after the surgery I went in to get the stitches taken out - again, nothing to be afraid of. In another 2 weeks I'll go back to see my surgeon to have the pin taken out of my foot and from what I've read on this site that isn't anything to be afraid of either.

I feel like I read a lot of horror stories on this site, maybe b/c people who've had a difficult time are more likely to post. But, for those of you considering or approaching surgery I can tell you that my experience has been not bad at all. The surgery didn't hurt, I haven't had any pain b/c I was on painkillers for the first 10 days and then by the 10th day there wasn't any pain. Now my foot feels fine - if I bang it or something it hurts, but honestly not much. It's swollen quite a bit, but I gather that's to be expected for the first few weeks.

I'm going back to work tomorrow, and I'm a bit apprehensive about getting around on crutches and I expect my foot will swell as I won't be able to have it elevated all day. Luckily I have an office job, so it shouldn't require much standing/walking.

It's still early in the recovery process for me, but I hope that my story will help calm others' nerves if they are anxious in advance of surgery!

The Following User Says Thank You to jd20 For This Useful Post:
cloud1959 (01-04-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread