It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2011, 06:58 AM   #1
(female)

Specialkt007 HB User
Brostrom Procedure and toe nail polish

This is going to sould like a stupid question but I am having a Brostrom Procedure on January 17th on my Left ankle. I got my packet of info but no place is there any info about if you have to take your toe nail polish off. If I am going to be in a cast for 6 weeks cute toes would not be a bad thing.... but I am like 95% sure you need your toe nail polish off am I right? I just dont really want to call the Doc over something so stupid

Old 01-05-2011, 07:16 AM   #2
(female)

poppyg1 HB Userpoppyg1 HB Userpoppyg1 HB Userpoppyg1 HB User
Re: Brostrom Procedure and toe nail polish

I totally understand!! I get pedicures every 3 weeks, so the thought of having bare toes was not something I liked, especially when people would be looking at my feet more than normal! I had to take my polish off, but had my friend paint my toes a couple days after surgery. I went and had my nails polished at the salon as soon as I was able to get out of the house. They told me I couldn't have nail polish on so they would be able to see the color of my nailbed to make sure the circulation was ok.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB User

I had 4 ankle surgeries and my toes were perfectly pedicured for each, I didn't have to take my polish off. Ask at your pre surgical testing / pre op appt.

it's not silly ... this is important stuff!

Old 01-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
(female)

Specialkt007 HB User

found out todaymy toe nail polish has come off sad day but my mom said she would repaint them before i have to go back to work.... only a few days left before surgery

Old 01-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

I took mine off before the surgery. That afternoon, I had my mom clean off my foot (she used a wet paper towel to rinse off some of the iodine) and paint my toenails. Nobody really got to see them, though, since it's cold here! My mom had these really stretchy fuzzy socks that fit over my cast, so I was covered up with those almost all the time. Now that I'm in the boot, I'm wearing regular socks. My poor toenails are all dressed up with nowhere to go!

Old 01-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
(female)

Specialkt007 HB User

I live in WI so I know what you mean. my only problem is when I rolled my ankle and broke my leg my big tonial stoped growing (last Jan) it started growing around june but 1/2 my nail fell off last week from the old groth. with out nail polish it looks really scarry... like any one will know but me but still... did you have a brostrom procedure?

Old 01-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Yeah, I had the brostrom December 16. My doctor is being pretty progressive in his treatment, so I was weightbearing after the first week, in the boot at the two week mark, and started PT at 3 weeks. So far it's going really well, other than this massive allergic reaction I'm having to something from the surgery. But the surgery and pain wasn't too bad after the first week.

I also have a funky toenail, so I know what you mean. I had this crazy stomach problem where I could hardly eat for a month until they diagnosed and fixed it, so my nail growth got all messed up from the lack of nutrients. Fortunately, the surgeon doesn't really care about your toenails.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #8
(female)

Specialkt007 HB User

this is what my doc told me

first week 1/2 cast then stiches come out NWB
6 weeks in a fiberglass Cast NWB
6-8 more weeks in walking boot with PT

I like your time line better.

you dont have celiac disease do you?

Old 01-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

No, I had sphincter of oddi dysfunction. They went in and fixed it.

My surgery on my other ankle was more involved, and I think I ended up with a total of 8 weeks NWB. Not at all fun. I've been a little nervous about my doctor's protocol, since it seems so much more liberal than any others I've seen. But I can't say I'm sad to be off crutches and in a boot that I can take off. Originally he'd said that I'd have 4 weeks total in a cast, but at the two week mark he decided to go straight to the boot since I wasn't really having much pain at all.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:45 AM   #10
(female)

Specialkt007 HB User

I would be NWB for all 8 week if it means no Pain... we will see I am set to go back to work one week after stugery and I am really upset that my Knee walker is stuck in GA because of the snow been there all week. so I wont have it Monday for surgery. but will need it by the next monday or I would die at work.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I would say that by one week you should be feeling okay to go to work, as long as you have a job where you can sit. It took me about 3 weeks to really be pain free with having my leg down when I sit. The first week all you'll want to do is lay around with your foot up. The second week you'll be able to be up and around, but you'll want to keep your foot up as much as possible, and not up a ton. Even sitting down feels better than standing, but sitting with your foot up is better. Even now (4 weeks post-surgery), I put it up on a chair for 1/3-1/2 of the day at work because it's more comfortable.

After my last ankle surgery (much more involved than the brostrom), my pain and swelling was much worse, but I had to go back to classes the week after surgery. I couldn't drive, because I couldn't let my foot hang down long enough to get anywhere. I sat in my classes slouched down in my chair with my foot up on the desk, but I got through them.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:23 AM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I've had 3 surgeries in the past 8 years, 2 different hospitals, 2 different surgeons and I never removed my polish! And they didn't either.....

Old 01-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #13
(female)

Specialkt007 HB User

so day 2 and my nerve block has warn off.... man that was nice but only been able to sleep for about 2 hours after surgry i was hyper and could not sleep. the surgery did not go as well as planed and the doctor is not 100% sure that this repair is going to hold my liguments were in alot worst shape that the mri or he thought going in. so can only hope for the best...

Old 01-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #14
(female)

poppyg1 HB Userpoppyg1 HB Userpoppyg1 HB Userpoppyg1 HB User

I'm glad to hear the surgery is over and you are recovering. I'm sorry to hear that your doctor didn't think it went as well as was planned. Thats discouraging to hear I'm sure. Did he end up doing some type of tendon graft procedure instead of the brostrom? Not sure why he wouldn't take a different route if he doesn't think it is going to hold, or will stretch out. All you can do is work hard and hope for the best results. Goodluck and keep us updated on how the recovery goes!

Old 01-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #15
(female)

Specialkt007 HB User

i would have thought he would have done a tendon graft procedure instead of the brostrom but he did not. I will know more at my post opp next week as he talked to my mom after surgery.

Closed Thread