It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
(female)

shyshell HB User
Question..my sister got a scarf bunionectomy and she came out with a walking boot...

Question..my sister got a scarf bunionectomy and she came out with a walking boot...why?!?
I had a scarf bunionectomy(different dr) and I'm nwb.....not fair...she has screws in her toe like I did and she just had it done.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Question..my sister got a scarf bunionectomy and she came out with a walking boot

Just like you said - different doctors. Have you inquired of surgeon?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
(female)

shyshell HB User
Re: Question..my sister got a scarf bunionectomy and she came out with a walking boot

no..mine was done by mercy hosp and her was in Ft dodge. I'll ask my Dr. tomorrow at my appt. She has the exact same procedure as I did..what so different?

Old 01-06-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I can't tell you how many people ask this same thing. Why did my doctor tell me to walk from day one with my neuroma removal and later with my cheilectomy when people come on here and are NWB? Or at least sitting at home for 2 weeks, elevated and iced? As my doctor said, we each do it our own way. He wants you walking, others don't. Same reason there is chocolate and vanilla ice cream.

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
shyshell (01-06-2011)
Old 01-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
(female)

shyshell HB User

lol .. giving my Dr 20 questions tomorrow LOL

oh can you tell me,is it normal for when I step on foot or full pressure on heel it feels weird, not sure if it is a numb or crumbly feeling..just odd..lol

Old 01-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

if you've been off it for a while, it very well could be a touch of plantar faciitis that will get better once you are walking again. or any number of things from being NWB...

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
shyshell (01-06-2011)
Old 01-06-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
(female)

shyshell HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
if you've been off it for a while, it very well could be a touch of plantar faciitis that will get better once you are walking again. or any number of things from being NWB...
ok doing reading on plantar facitis

Old 01-06-2011, 05:30 PM   #8
(female)

shyshell HB User

not that...it is not my heel

Old 01-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

It's normal for your foot to feel weird when you start weight bearing if you've been off it for a while. Mine felt sort of tingly and weakish. Just weird. It should go away in a day or two.

Different doctors have different preferences in how they do things. I'm 3 weeks post-op and went for my first PT visit today (Brostom ankle ligament repair). I was full weight bearing at one week, in a walking boot at 2 weeks. Many surgeons require a 4-6 week NWB period with this surgery. My doctor just doesn't think that it's necessary. Some of it has to do with new research. Some docs adopt new procedures faster than others. Those that wait to adopt new procedures are just being cautious, wanting to see more studies and confirmation of long-term results before changing how they do things (if it ain't broke, don't fix it).

The Following User Says Thank You to kehorner For This Useful Post:
shyshell (01-06-2011)
Old 01-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #10
(female)

shyshell HB User

Thanks! that sums it up...I have an old fashion type doctor that prefers the older cautious way..lol
may I be promoted to a walking boot tomorrow...so tired of being non weight bearing..since Dec 1 so that meets the 6-8 week nwb period...right?

Closed Thread