It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Started physical therapy after Brostrom

I'm 3 weeks out from surgery and had my first PT visit today. My doctor is apparently very liberal. I was weight bearing as tolerated from day one, full weight bearing after one week, in a boot at two weeks.

My poor ankle doesn't move much at all. I'm surprised at how bad it is after so little time. I had only 12 degrees of plantarflexion/dorsiflexion (moving the foot up and down) out of a normal range of about 65 degrees. I'm also surprised at where the pain is. The lateral side of the ankle where he did the repair isn't really bothering me at all. The real pain is right up in the middle of the front of my ankle. He did do a scope too, with the hole for that over on the medial side. But this pain is right in between the two incisions.

After she took all the measurements and tested my strength, she did some heat and then spent probably 10 minutes just moving my ankle around doing passive range of motion. She did get some improvement, but not a huge amount. So now I've got to work on range of motion and strength on my own 3 times a day. I see her again next Tuesday. My doctor wrote the prescription for 3-5x per week, but with a $20 copay per visit, that's not going to happen!

I hate this part of the process. Right now I'm a ton worse than I was to begin with, so I begin to question how I could have been stupid enough to do this to myself. But it all worked out with my other ankle, so I just try to remind myself of the final outcome.

The Following User Says Thank You to kehorner For This Useful Post:
Webbie13 (01-11-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #2
(female)

poppyg1 HB Userpoppyg1 HB Userpoppyg1 HB Userpoppyg1 HB User
Re: Started physical therapy after Brostrom

Hi, I will be interested to keep in touch and hear how your PT goes, and what types of things you are working on.

I am a little over 7 weeks post brostrom now. I have been in therapy since week 4. I have been going 3 times a week, and have found it to be very helpful. I also was surprised by how poor my ROM, strength and balance had become. I have been in a gym shoe with a brace since week 4 when I started therapy. I usually leave therapy really sore, but feeling like my ankle is moving better. Every night I really start to feel my ankle and thats when I hook up my ice machine and elevate. I still feel like I have a ways to go, but have made big improvement with therapy in the last couple weeks.

Keep in touch on how your therapy goes!

Old 01-14-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Things are going better now. I've gotten some range of motion back, and the pain is a lot better. I saw the doctor today and got some clarification about physical therapy goals and limitations.

So far we've mostly been working on range of motion, stretching, and some light strengthening. The doctor is happy with my range of motion now (it's not perfect, but he'd rather it start out too tight and loosen up naturally than stretch it out too much). So now we're going to stop the stretching and move on to strengthening with no further limititations (we're free to do weight bearing exercises, etc.).

The best news is that I'm free from the boot and into the simple aircast now.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Things are going great. I'm 5 weeks post-op. The only pain I'm having is soreness after I do my PT exercises. I saw her yesterday and she set up a strengthening plan for me to follow at home. I go back in 2.5 weeks for a recheck and hopefully to progress to more balance exercises. The strength is coming back fast now that I'm not in the boot.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
(female)

poppyg1 HB Userpoppyg1 HB Userpoppyg1 HB Userpoppyg1 HB User

Wow, that sounds like you are doing great!! How is your range of motion coming along? How often are you attending physical therapy sessions? I have really been struggling since I returned to work. Being on my feet all day has not really helped me to progress as quickly as I would like. I felt like I was doing well the first 2-3 weeks of therapy and then hit a plateau and have started developing other pains and problems which has become very frustrating. I am sure in time everything will hopefully sort itself out.

Glad to hear things are going well for you!!

Old 01-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

My range of motion is pretty good now. My dorsiflexion is normal, and my plantarflexion is probably just 10 degrees short of normal, which is fine.

I went to PT twice a week for 5 visits. My next visit is now in 2.5 weeks, then we'll add on more exercises and probably go another 2-3 weeks for a check-in.

I'm lucky that I have a job where I don't need to be on my feet much. Since I've gone back to my usual routine I've noticed some swelling in my foot around my little toes, but it's not anything that you can see, I can just feel it.

Mostly I can't wait to start running again. Which is funny, because I really don't like to run. But it's nice to get out and do some exercise, and I miss that. But I don't think that I'm cleared to run yet. Maybe I'll ask my PT at the next visit if it would be okay for short distances (like half a block at a time when I'm walking the dog).

Old 07-30-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
(female)

greenspeed1 HB User

I am 7 weeks post Bostrom--still in the Cam Boot 24/7 and on crutches. My doctor has not mentioned therapy at all. I am allowed weight bearing as tolerated but due to the pain I can not consider not using the crutches. The doctor did not seem concerned at all. Next appt with the doctor is in 4 weeks so nothing will change before then as regard to my instructions. I tried to go shopping with a friend today but due to the pain, I ended up sitting in the car. I am allergic to every pain medication that they have tried, so that may have something to do with my slow recovery as I can not take anything at all for pain. Any suggestions?

Closed Thread