It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
(female)

shyshell HB User
Exclamation went to Doctor this morning and...

I asked him about people having their procedures done and walking out with a boot on and he said "you need at least 4 weeks to heal" and other stuff I will not post,,,,,lol but he did not like hearing that at all saying it was bad to do that.

He told me that my foot looks good and I can walk , to get a bigger shoe...
my foot feels so weird,numb,crumbly..whatever I'm scared to..lol
oh and to move my big toe,which is so stiff.
advice please to make this easier.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: went to Doctor this morning and...

Did he give you exercises to do or permission to do them? I would ask for specifics since he seems to be so literal minded. You could just call his office and ask if they have something they can give you on exercises that are approved. Glad you can walk on it now!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
(female)

shyshell HB User

he just said bigger shoe and flex them toes :/

is it normal for foot to feel so strange?

Old 01-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Start off partial weight bearing. You can't just drop the crutches and start walking after weeks of non weight bearing. Start with both crutches, and put just as much weight as feels comfortable on your foot. When you feel like you're doing okay with that, go down to one crutch (use it on the side opposite your bad foot). Then eventually you can lose that crutch too. It might take a few days to get totally off the crutches.

The Following User Says Thank You to kehorner For This Useful Post:
shyshell (01-07-2011)
Old 01-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
(female)

shyshell HB User

Thank you I'll do that

Old 01-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Ok, then. Do these. Try picking up a washcloth with your toes. Also, manually move your toe up and down. It will help with that if you "warm" it up first by soaking in warm water - can do in the bath, shower. I found that easier to move the toe when the muscles were warmed up like that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
shyshell (01-07-2011), sjb (01-07-2011)
Old 01-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
(female)

shyshell HB User

oh thank you! I think the stiffness comes from our cold weather....but I tried walking on it and I couldn't..it just plain weird and odd...I can't find my crutches...I hope my boy didn't fling them in the basement before he went to school.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #8
(female)

shyshell HB User

omg!...........I use the computer chair to help guide me as I tried to walk and the light pain that radiates from the heel and arch..plus now my other foot hurts.. sympathy pains?lol

Last edited by shyshell; 01-07-2011 at 03:05 PM. Reason: added pains

Old 01-07-2011, 04:46 PM   #9
(female)

cloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB User

I had surgery on Oct. 12th 2010 and my foot is only just beginning to feel like it's mine.

The following user gives a hug of support to cloud1959:
shyshell (01-07-2011)
Old 01-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #10
(female)

shyshell HB User

I am moving around the house without help!! Slowly but hey I'm walking on my own when my heel starts hurting on other foot,I sit down. big toe is stiff and when I walk I take time and flexing is well a hope.....but I went through so much and acccomplished much since 12 noon. Once this foot heals my left foot is next...although...heal and arch hurts now so may need more work I did get a walker with two wheels if I need it. Thank you all so much! Truly you all are Blessings!

Old 01-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Try a foot massage...omit the toe area as it's probably pretty sore but just massage the rest of the foot. It hasn't been on the ground in a while nor has it been moving/flexing/etc so it's no wonder it's siff and not working right. Take a nice hot bubbble bath, massage the foot, manipulate the toe and enjoy!

The following user gives a hug of support to Titchou:
shyshell (01-07-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
shyshell (01-07-2011)
Old 01-07-2011, 07:59 PM   #12
(female)

shyshell HB User

I can soak it? oh wow I can finally take a normal bathe? darn doctor told me nothing but you can get it wet. yes the big toe area is tender and sore and it felt as if a needle went through my toe. the screws won't slip will they? lol what a question but I get more from yall then my doctor!

Old 01-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Well, I just assumed that at this point since the stitches are out. Perhaps you should call and ask what "get it wet" means?

Old 01-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #14
(female)

shyshell HB User

ok big toe ......ugh how can I move my toe when it stiff as a board.......manually move it but what does that do really? I can walk but not move my big toe much on my own without my sandal on, with it on,I can move my big toe half way up then it hurts.

I will call when I can get ahold of the office...either busy,busy,busy or closed..lol

Old 01-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

It's going to hurt to move it - believe me! But if your don't move it,scar tissue can develop and you won't ever be able to move it. Try warming it with a heating pad and manually moving it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
shyshell (01-08-2011)
Closed Thread