It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
(female)

Leelee28 HB UserLeelee28 HB User
Exclamation Painful, ice cold feet

I've been having troubles with my feet for a number of years now, but recently it's gotten pretty bad. My feet are always cold, no matter what I wear or where I put them. I feel it the most in my toes, though it's pretty much consistent around the whole foot. Lately, even when they don't feel cold to my husband, my feet feel like ICE to me, and my toes "burn" touching each other because they feel so cold... it's actually quite painful. I live in Wisconsin and try very hard to keep them warm, but it's not going well. Lately, when I wear boots and am sitting in class, my toes start to get really cold and numb and painful and I try to take off my boot to kinda "rest" my feet. It's really getting uncomfortable!! I'm not sure what the deal is or what I can do to warm them up!! I have thermal socks that I wear with a regular pair of socks, but they don't seem to help much anymore.

Here's some other background about myself:
I have fibromyalgia and mildly elevated prolactin . My hands and feet are ALWAYS cold. I bought arthritis gloves to help my hands stay warm, which does actually help. A few months ago my fingernails started randomly turning blue. That was looked into but nothing was found and I was told to "keep my hands warm" When that started to happen, my hands also started doing something strange: They'd start off very cold with blue nails, and then my palms would become red-hot and very warm and sometimes itchy... for no apparent reason. After a few minutes they'd go back to normal. I can not sit in tall chairs for an extended period of time because my feet become very swollen and painful.... the same thing happens when I've been standing for a while (though that's not long... maybe 25-30 mins) Also, about 6 years ago I got mild frostbite on my feet from standing outside in Converse shoes for like 30-40 mins. I don't know if that has anything to do with my feet now, but it wouldn't explain my hands. Finally, I have very "pained" finger and toe joints. I'm often cracking them to relieve the "pressure". My husband often cracks my toes just to make the joints feel better. There's plenty of other things, but that seems to be the most relevant to the current situation.

Any suggestions on a) what the problem could be, b) what I can do to help my feet and/or c) who would be a good person to see to explore that further?? I have an internist for my fibro, but he doesn't seem to be terribly concerned. I'm a really random mix of odd symptoms with no cause whatsoever. I've had tons of blood tests (I've been tested for thyroid problems and rheumatoid factor more than 5 times), have no similar family history (as far as I know) and am actually a very healthy person.... with a ton of weird symptoms!

Thanks for taking the time to read this and (hopefully) respond I really would appreciate any help you could give!!

Last edited by Leelee28; 01-23-2011 at 07:11 PM. Reason: addition

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2011, 05:05 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Painful, ice cold feet

Could be Raynaud's which is a circulation disorder. Have you tried "toastie toes" and the handwarmers that match? You can buy them at sporting goods stores, WalMart, gun stores, etc. Hunters use them a lot. I jog with them in my shoes in the winter and they work very well. The ones for toes stick to the bottom of your socks so they don't move around in your shoes. Give them a try.

Closed Thread