It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
(male)

carpenter33 HB User
calcaneus 16 screw and plate

hi, I was a capenter i fell 13ft on oct 9th and shattered my calcaneus was sent to local hospital they done cat scans and xrays found out i had broke rib and shattered calcaneus. didn't really know what a calcaneus was but once you fracture your foot it dont take long to figure out what a calcaneus is. i was sent from there to see an orthopedic surgeon, due to swelling had to wait untill oct 19th for surgery surgeon went in surgery took about 6 hours. surgeon said a large piece of my calcaneus was jammed in my talas bone he pulled it out i ended up with 16 screws and a plate in my foot. from there i stayed in the hospital three days and was sent home. went back to surgeon two weeks wound wasn't healing well he said it looked dusky didn't really know what that meant at the time. went back to surgeon week later skin had died around insion due to a blood clot where drain tube was. using a knee scooter to get around would reccommend to al heelies. started wound care nov 8th 35 treatments of hypobarric oxygen 5 days a week 2 hours per treatment, debrited skin every friday treatments hard to do but care was excellent almost healed now. weight bound jan 12th doc said start out with 25 percent weight heel got so sore couldn't hardly step on it. walk pretty good with walker or crutches cant seem to hold my weight without help ankle real stiff and been through lots of pain in heel and ankle. seems to be getting better the more i walk on it. today i got aggreviated with walker pushed it over to the side couldn't really walk but Praise The Lord i could hobble and that was a big thing after what i've been through. started some with a cane this evening. hope this helps someone!!

The Following User Says Thank You to carpenter33 For This Useful Post:
paremo (03-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2011, 03:11 AM   #2
(male)

Assurgam HB User
Re: calcaneus 16 screw and plate

Finally, someone with one more screw than me! 15 and a plate here.

Ironic how things work...I was in a car accident on October 15, and shattered my left foot. I had to wait over 3 weeks because the soft tissue damage and swelling was so severe. I'm still waiting for my incision to fully heal (98%) but just recently started weight bearing.

Careful with your walking. The walker/crutches can be frustrating but its important to keep using something that distributes weight on both arms. Your lower leg has no muscle left and will need to build up strength before you can start pushing off the injured foot. Its annoying but you run the risk of injuring your back and developing hip pain as well, its also easy to put too much pressure on the calcaneus as you'll exceed full weight bearing by pushing down more when you go to lift off. I found using an air cast boot helped considerably with the pain. Keep working on the range of motion of the foot and the ankle will loosen up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenter33 View Post
hi, I was a capenter i fell 13ft on oct 9th and shattered my calcaneus was sent to local hospital they done cat scans and xrays found out i had broke rib and shattered calcaneus. didn't really know what a calcaneus was but once you fracture your foot it dont take long to figure out what a calcaneus is. i was sent from there to see an orthopedic surgeon, due to swelling had to wait untill oct 19th for surgery surgeon went in surgery took about 6 hours. surgeon said a large piece of my calcaneus was jammed in my talas bone he pulled it out i ended up with 16 screws and a plate in my foot. from there i stayed in the hospital three days and was sent home. went back to surgeon two weeks wound wasn't healing well he said it looked dusky didn't really know what that meant at the time. went back to surgeon week later skin had died around insion due to a blood clot where drain tube was. using a knee scooter to get around would reccommend to al heelies. started wound care nov 8th 35 treatments of hypobarric oxygen 5 days a week 2 hours per treatment, debrited skin every friday treatments hard to do but care was excellent almost healed now. weight bound jan 12th doc said start out with 25 percent weight heel got so sore couldn't hardly step on it. walk pretty good with walker or crutches cant seem to hold my weight without help ankle real stiff and been through lots of pain in heel and ankle. seems to be getting better the more i walk on it. today i got aggreviated with walker pushed it over to the side couldn't really walk but Praise The Lord i could hobble and that was a big thing after what i've been through. started some with a cane this evening. hope this helps someone!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Assurgam For This Useful Post:
carpenter33 (01-28-2011)
Closed Thread