It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
(female)

lambchop789 HB Userlambchop789 HB User
Almost 4 months post op PTTD and Having Big Toe Pain... you?!

Hello....so i'm almost 4 months post op having had a posterior tibial tendon reconstruction w/ a calcaneal osteotomy of my left foot. my healing process seems normal...in fact according to my surgeon i'm ahead of the curve. i have good days and bad days...bad days mostly just frustration of how slow the recovery process is w/ aches and pains around the foot..walking slow, etc. good days consist of feeling real progress and minimal pain...walking without a limp (in a gym shoe of course). my biggest issue is pain in my big toe. it's hard to explain the pain as i'm not even sure where it's coming from. my pt and i have been working on bending my toe...and it definitely doesn't bend as good as my other foot. in the very begining i couldn't even bend my toe without screaming in pain. now i can bend my toe and feel no pain, however if my pt bends my toe and (slightly) pulls it to the side i scream. i also have extreme pain when my foot is in the position of wanting to do a heal raise (which i can't do yet unless using my other foot). so if i were to try on a high heal i'd scream in pain...not because of the weight being put on the balls of my feet, but rather just the position my big toe would have to go in to put it in a shoe with that kind of bend. the pain seems to be in the middle to top of the toe and i can't figure out what it is...not sure if it's b/c that's the tendon that was used to help reconstruct my tibial tendon? even my doctor, who has done this surgery for over 20 years and has worked on dancers, athletes and boston marathoners hasn't heard of this pain. at this point he has my pt doing ultra sound and some massage techniques. i will say after she works on me i feel great and have zero pain, but once i start to walk at a somewhat fast speed on the treadmill or try to do heal raises (with both feet as i can't even begin to lift myself on my surgery foot) the pain starts up again. have any of you that have had this surgery have this pain? if so do you know what's causing it and has it gotten better? i'm ok with the pain if i know it's something that will ultimately go away....just nervous since i don't know what the cause is. if i took away this toe pain i'd be really happy with my progress so far, but the pain in my toe is no fun any input, ideas, etc are greatly appreciated! on the plus side i did wear a very small heal with a rounded toe to a party this past weekend...it was an ugly shoe, but for a few hours i felt like a normal person since i didn't have to wear a gym shoe with my cute outfit !

The following user gives a hug of support to lambchop789:
lightstepper (11-17-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
(male)

mvb HB User
Re: Almost 4 months post op PTTD and Having Big Toe Pain...you?!

it sounds like your foot is still pronating (rolling in) causing the joint in your big toe to hurt. the only reason i say this is because you have a history of flat feet. even though you had surgery maybe it didnt completely correct it and surgeons are sometimes to proud to admit it. you may need a little help from some orthotics.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
(male)

mvb HB User

also did they find any arthritis in the joint of your big toe?

Old 11-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
(female)

lightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB Userlightstepper HB User

I HAD THAT!!!!! Could only limp because I couldn't flex that toe! Felt like it was "caught" and wanted to snap, pop, or give in some way. VERY painful!! Finally got transferred to a physical therapist who had me stand on that foot (my left one just like yours) and she put her fingertips under my arch and told me to roll forward like I was going to take a step with that foot while she pressed on some tendons that popped out (gently). We did that slowly for about 10 reps and it was vastly better. Once she got it moving again without pain, it hasn't been that bad since. If I start to feel it getting tight, sore and like it wants to pop/shift, (mostly in the mornings) I bend my toe back gently and push on the tendons that pop out under that lower big toe joint in the arch of my foot and hold it. Then I bend the toe forward to stretch out the top tendons (gently and for maybe 30 seconds or more) to loosen that up. Then pull it out gently to give the joint some room. It usually snaps and pops and voila...no more problem. It was only a stroke of good fortune that I found this physical therapist. She is truely gifted!

Good luck to you!!!! It certainly hurts! I'm now about 8 months post op and doing MUCH better since she mobilized all my joints. There is hope! Hang in there!

Closed Thread