It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
(male)

Adam Bennett HB User
Help! Foot surgery!

Hi, last week I had an operation on my right foot because my toes weren't aligned properly. I am home now and have an aircast boot. I have to sleep with the boot and keep it on all the time. I'm in a lot of pain and I can't do anything with my kids at the moment. The doctor said that I should rest my foot and not start walking yet with the crutches. I don't know what to do. All I can think of is sitting in the living room in a lot of pain. HELP!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Help! Foot surgery!

Did he not give you any pain medication? That's pretty standard for foot surgery.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
Adam Bennett (01-30-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
(female)

jd20 HB User
Re: Help! Foot surgery!

I agree with the previous poster that it's odd that your surgeon didn't prescribe any pain medication. You should ask which over the counter pain meds are recommended.

Being non-weight bearing is pretty boring. There are some useful threads on here on how to survive the NWB period following foot surgery. I spent almost 3 weeks living (and sleeping!) on my couch after foot surgery.

I tried to make the most of it - when else will you have such a great excuse to be a complete and total couch potato? Catch up on your reading, ******** some tv shows that friends have recommended, watch movies.

You can't do anything active with your kids, but depending on their ages you can certainly read with/to them, play board games, video games, do puzzles etc.

I used the time to do really unsavory tasks that I generally put off - my taxes, FINALLY organizing and uploading all of my photos etc.

Bottom line - in sucks. But, that said, it will go by much faster if you are as busy, entertained, productive and social as you can be without risking the healing process. Focusing on something other than the pain and the things you CAN'T do is important.

Closed Thread