It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
(male)

waceyhunt HB User
Foot Drop

I've read quite a bit tonight about Foot Drop so I wanted to share my story for anyone in the same situation as me. On April 24, 2010 I suffered a ruptured ACL torn PCL and LCL and a broken fibula which crushed my peroneal nerve resulting in full foot drop (left leg and foot) . I had surgery 4 days later to reconstruct the ACL and repair the PCL and LCL. The Surgeon also had a look at my nerve during the 4 hour surgery and he said it was beaten up really bad but still intact. He told me it should grow back in time. I had an emg 6 months after the accident and the emg tech told me the nerve was dead completely and suggested a tendon transfer. All I could get when I tried lifting my foot was a few toes to move up slightly. I have all of the numbness and tingly sensations that so many have talked about on this board. In December (8 months after the accident) all of the sudden I started getting a little bit of movement back in my foot. It happened really fast over the next month and all of the sudden I can actually start to lift my foot and move it pretty well outward which I had no movement before. When I lift my foot it actually goes far enough to stretch my Achilles Tendon where as before I had nothing. It seems like it's getting better every week, and my foot is starting to feel lighter and not drop as much. Since June I have been walking with an $80 plastic afo in my shoe which I found to be just fine and got used to it. I sleep in a soft brace called an x-strap and it's quite comforatable after a few modifications. I have some hope so am obviously waiting to see the plastic surgeon as I surely don't want to get a tendon transfer if it's coming back on it's own. I will continue to post the progress as long as it's helpful to anyone. Hoping this helps someone as reading this board has helped me know I'm also not alone in this. Feel free to ask any questions, I'm sure I've left some stuff out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
(female)

Gimp123 HB UserGimp123 HB User
Re: Foot Drop

I just got back from an EMG and it wasn't good news. My drop foot is here to stay..LOL. I do have an appt with my neurologist in 2 wks to discuss the rpt. I am open to a tendon transfer. I'm anxious and a bit concerned. I've read about all the weeks one needs to be in a cast for recovery, but that really shouldn't affect me if the end results is that I can walk "normally" for the rest of my life! (My foot drop occurred immediately after waking up for total hip replacement in may 2010.) Is anybody else in a similar situation and want to share?? Thanks!

Old 03-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
(female)

Gimp123 HB UserGimp123 HB User
Re: Foot Drop

I'm pleased to hear about your healing, but I'm a bit anxious. I would love to have this heal on it's own, but how long does one wait? Maybe I should think about getting a better AFO than this plastic custom made one. I'm just impatient.

Closed Thread