It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
(female)

Former_Dancer HB User
Smile Decompression Osteotomy and Chilectomy - timeline

I just wanted to post the healing process for my own surgery. I had a decompression Osteotomy and chilectomy done one week ago today. In my case, the incision has disposable sutures, but my post-op appointment is 2 weeks from the surgery date. I was advised to keep bandages clean and not to change them.

I walked out of the operating room in a boot and immediately iced my foot. My foot remained numb from 1pm to 9am the next morning. At that point I phoned the doctor because while I presumed the operated toe should remain numb, I didn't have feeling in many of the other toes. The Dr advised me to loosen the bandage but warned me when I did the foot would swell more. He was right, but the feeling returned to the end toes faster that way. Those are still mobile. The big toe and second toe remained numb for about 2 days, the big toe was the last to have the numbness wear off. I think i'm lucky bc had it worn off sooner i would have been in more pain, I guess.

I kept it elevated and on ice 20 min per hour. I did not weight bear although he said I could have. Even the pull of gravity when using crutches would increase swelling, (and thus pain), so I avoided that.

The swelling was the worst the first 72 hours and esp after loosening the bandage (there's a reason they had it tighter!). It decreased after that, down to almost no swelling on the 5th day after surgery. I did not need any pain medication by then, I just kept the foot up and on ice. I took pain meds the first 3 days and then only maybe once during the day on day 4. I was surprised -- I expected to be in far more pain and need many more pills. I was also only taking half of the usual dose for adults (but i'm a lightweight). By day 5: no meds necessary for me. But i have them if i need them.

Today is the one week mark and I can put weight on it and stand or walk. Afterwards I feel a light throbbing in the joint and bottom of the foot. If i elevate ice again, that goes away.

Today, at end of week 1, there is no pain in my foot anywhere except under the metatarsal -- and its not pain, it feels more like pressure, and only when I walk on it. If there's no weight on it it feels totally fine, no pain at all. I feel weird tingles and nerves going off after standing on it bc the bones are getting used to that again.

One week *from today* will be the 2 week mark and my post-op. I will post back at that point and let people know how it goes. I just wanted to post this in case it's helpful for anyone going to do this surgery.

[Oh -- the doctor in my case found a 4mm diameter hole in the cartilage. He said removing the bone spur would solve that problem as it would no longer be "digging" into it. The surgery is said to have gone successfully but as with such things, I will only know the full outcome after I'm fully rehabilitated. I'm hopeful.]

Last edited by Former_Dancer; 02-02-2011 at 05:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
(female)

FlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB User
Re: Decompression Osteotomy and Chilectomy - timeline

Sounds like all is well. Did you have the surgery in SF? And how are you doing now? I'm struggling with walking in a shoe now for about 4 weeks. I over did it this weekend and the foot is sore. (I had flatfoot reconstruction with tendon repair and fusion in one ankle joint.). When it gets sore like that I need one crutch and a lot of icing. And patience!

Cheers to a speedy recovery.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #3
(female)

Former_Dancer HB User

I had the surgery in Petaluma, which is about an hour drive (no traffic) north of SF. The doctor is very good and I like and trust him a lot. Which i think is key.

Yes things are going well. I still have to ice and elevate alot. I can stand and limp but i'm far away from a normal walk (but it has only been 10 days, I presumed from the getgo i would be 1 month out of commission). And of course i'm still in the surgical boot, and i expect i will be for another 2 weeks even after the bandage is removed. I am not pushing it bc i have invested too much time and i want to heal properly. I managed to do stairs for 15 minutes today. Stairs hurt me less than stepping forward, i think bc there is no distribution of weight, you put it down in one position and remove it in the same position. Walking shifts weight so that it is, at one moment, only on a specific part of the foot -- greater load.

Bones require a full 6 to 8 weeks to fully heal, so keep that in mind. If you are walking on a bone that was broken (or fused back together or pinned together, as in my case), it takes a long time. Tendons are the same thing (I have torn them in the past and 6 weeks was the cast time, but without a lot of walking on it, until healed. THEN physical therapy to regain ROM).

For me, now yes, doing fine. However lately the actual incision site has started hurting. The skin is pulling on the bandage and that hurts until I elevate. The more you walk, the more blood circulates which causes swelling and thus..pain. Just Fyi.

Four weeks is not very long. I would not push it or worry yet..!
Cheers to you, it sounds like it is all normal so far in fact. And yes, wishing you patience as well! I have found work to be a lifesaver these days, and social time too :-). hugs!

Last edited by Former_Dancer; 02-06-2011 at 11:31 PM.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
(female)

Former_Dancer HB User

Apologies, I'm late on the post-op report. So I will add that and then some.

At the 2-week mark I was still not able to walk without limping, but that's to be expected. When the Dr removed bandages he said I had very little swelling and prescribed immediate physical therapy 2x per week for 6 weeks. I got the first PT appointment just 4 days after bandage removal bc i wanted to get going. At that point there was still swelling and the incision was sore to the touch.

I go 2x per week presently I have only about 30 degrees dorsiflexion. The surgery for some reason retained full plantar flexion, much of which is bc i have very strong under-foot muscles which are not even near the site of the incision or surgery (according to the PT, which explains why plantarflexion has not diminished for me). The dorsiflexion is not worse than just before the surgery but it is far (still) from the 85 degrees i have in my non-surgery foot.

After hot water and a lot of motion I can get up to about 50 degrees but it feels strange. The other four toes are also --after two years now-- not used to that position. I have tightness UNDER the big toe, and that supposedly will go away as I do more stretching. I am told I cannot hurt it, so the issue is to work thru the pain> BUT..>BUT BUT BUT until the 6 week mark i cannot over do it. The bones are not fully healed yet from the pin and realignment.

Today, which is exactly 4 weeks post-op, I was able to put on a pair of 1 1/2-2 inch heeled sandals. I had to rearrange my toes once they were in the shoe (open toe) and bc the entire leg is weak, I was wobbling around on that one shoe like a clumsy 12 year old trying on her mom's high heels. However bc of swelling I can't get into the pair of pumps that i wore just 18 months ago to my brother's wedding. (as of 3 mos ago the dorsal spur was so much bigger that i couldnt get them on anyway). I am told swelling will continue for some time, and the only way to get rid of it is exercise, not ice.

The other thing is scar tissue only disappears with movement and massage and exercise. If you ice the foot at this point, it helps with pain but not with swelling internally per se (of course any cold will shrink tissues but it doesnt help chronic swelling). As my PT explained, scar tissue is like a spider web: It does not sit flat on top of bone like muscle does, in a one or multi layer sheet. Instead it gets all tangled and interwoven in, around and behind and under everything. Thats' why you dont want to wait too long for movement bc it gets harder to get rid of the scar tissue if it is allowed to build up for too long.

I go to the second post-op on March 10 and will try to post back again. That is just 2 weeks from today but it will be 6 weeks from my surgery date. Supposedly at that point the bones are fully regrown (well, in theory).

I will keep you all posted. Feel free to ask questions too :-)

The following user gives a hug of support to Former_Dancer:
FlatfootDiva (02-26-2011)
Old 02-26-2011, 10:10 PM   #5
(female)

FlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB User

Good to know you're doing well and have a sense of humor about it too!

I think swelling is normal for any type of foot surgery. I had my nearly 5 month exam this week. I had flat foot reconstruction with a single joint fusion. I have mild swelling in the entire foot and outside area of the ankle. it causes numbness on the bottom and inflexibility. The doc said to be patient for another month maybe two. I am now walking without a crutch, sometimes I use a cane for balance, but around the house or office I'm wondrously free and mobile again after 22 weeks. Feeling pretty good about it in spite of how long it's been. I still have pain from the surgery but the pain that was the reason for the surgery is cured.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
(female)

Former_Dancer HB User

Just an update 10 months later :-). I now have about 60 degrees ROM in the operated foot. I had a bit of a setback in May -- I went from only about 30 min of walking per day to a solid 3-4 hrs of walking 7 days per week (I had to travel for research & it could not be avoided). I wasn't doing the exercises at that point because my days were packed with too much walking and no free time (all of April). By the way -- during hte month of April with the increased walking I had a lot of hot/swelling feeling in the foot, which I had kept elevated for the first 2 months after the operation. I would say for anyone planning to do cheilectomy AND osteotomy (with pins) that you need to allow a FULL three months of elevation time and limited walking. Just for the record.

So, on May 1, having not done exercises for about a month, I decided to do them. I did a releve (dancer's term for lifting the heel off the floor while toes are flat on the ground) and i felt a searing pain on the top of the foot, near the second metatarsal. I thougth I had pulled the tendon, or torn it partially, so emailed my doctor from the other hemisphere. He said to take Xrays to rule out a stress fracture. I did & sent him the xrays, but nothing was visible. I bought a boot however as weightbearing was excruciating at that point, and walking impossible.

Early July I was able to see my doctor for the foot six month post op appiontment: and (drumroll) the *stress fracture had already healed*! So yes, it turned out there was one. I was able to break the bone just by moving my foot (!) He said i did the right thing by buying a boot and not putting weight on it for 6 weeks. It is healed now and that bone is stronger/bigger.

I have recently read in medical reports that there is an increased risk for stress fractures with osteotomy+chielectomies, which makes sense, bc you're rearranging the way the foot bears your entire body weight -- other bones will take more stress as you "unload" the big toe, which was taking most of the impact (hence the ruined cartilage!)

ANYWAY my foot, the operated one, is now much better than pre-surgery. I do not have 85 degrees ROM which is my dream goal :-) but i can lift the heel a good 2 inches off the floor. Could NOT do that a year ago.

Now, within the past month, my "good foot" is acting up. I was hoping to have leeway and wait a few years (or a decade!) for another operation but I may have to do one next month.

Anyway in short, I am glad I did the left foot and although there are so many risks involved with surgery (infection, thrombosis, increased pain etc) in my case it was successful and worth it.

Last edited by Former_Dancer; 10-16-2011 at 04:00 PM.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:27 AM   #7
(male)

Barryc987 HB User

Glad you are doing so well after your procedure.
I had the same surgery (I think it was the exact surgery) done on 11-11-11. The doctor put a cast wrap around the foot, i would say about 4 inches wide to 'protect' the area. I will be going back to him on the 21st and am not sure if he will remove the cast. The stitches are the type that dissolve. He did give me a walking shoe but told me to keep it elevated whenever I can and to limit non weight baring walking with the use of crutches. I plan on going back to work on the 21st.
The pain is more throbbing then anything else. I used the 15 minute ice once an hour for the first 3 days and have been using Advil 2 pills 2 x a day. Is Aleve a better medicine to use then Advil?

I think my MD said that I can expect to start PT 4 weeks after surgery....not sure if that is correct and will know more on the 21st.
One question I did not ask him and I am not sure if you or anyone else knows the answer, in the USA, if you have a velcro boot, the kind that has a stiff bottom, can you legally drive with it (on the right foot)?

Old 11-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
(female)

Former_Dancer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryc987 View Post
Glad you are doing so well after your procedure.
I had the same surgery (I think it was the exact surgery) done on 11-11-11. The doctor put a cast wrap around the foot, i would say about 4 inches wide to 'protect' the area. I will be going back to him on the 21st and am not sure if he will remove the cast. The stitches are the type that dissolve. He did give me a walking shoe but told me to keep it elevated whenever I can and to limit non weight baring walking with the use of crutches. I plan on going back to work on the 21st.
The pain is more throbbing then anything else. I used the 15 minute ice once an hour for the first 3 days and have been using Advil 2 pills 2 x a day. Is Aleve a better medicine to use then Advil?

I think my MD said that I can expect to start PT 4 weeks after surgery....not sure if that is correct and will know more on the 21st.
One question I did not ask him and I am not sure if you or anyone else knows the answer, in the USA, if you have a velcro boot, the kind that has a stiff bottom, can you legally drive with it (on the right foot)?
HI Barry,
By "cast" I presume you meant a tight elastic stretch ace bandage over gauze? In any case, typically at the post op appointment yes, they remove all the bandages and at that point you can shower normally. They want to be sure the incision is 100% closed so that it wont tear open on its own - keeping bandages on and dry is key for that reason.

You will find it will throb less if you keep it elevated all the time and ice the ankle area as much as possible (to cool the blood going into the toe part of foot). I know they say you can walk on it immediatley but to me the pain is not worth it. First 3 days I use crutches and put no weight on it, and I had very little pain or swelling. The more you use it, the more the tissues will swell and the tight bandage around swollen tissues makes it throb -- ie there is more fluid in there.

If I can suggest, when you go back to work on the 21st, try to still keep the foot elevated -- even if you can keep it at hip level under your desk (prop it up on a box or something) it will really really help with swelling and pain and faster healing.

My parents are both in medecine and to quote my mother "Advil and Tylenol are like water". I personally take Ibuprofren for both pain/swelling at nighttime -- it also helps me sleep. During the day (first three days) I have Percocet -- but your Dr should have given you some sort of strong Rx painkiller (vicodin, codeine, percocet?) I am *not* a fan of the narcotics, would almost rather have the pain than that "hit by a train" feeling that comes after Percocet, but temporarily it distracts your neuro system from teh fact that you are, in fact, in pain. So I dont know about Aleve but the amount of Advil i would need for pain would shred my stomach to pieces... if you have a stronger Rx i would take it...although I note that your post op is on Monday so you should be in not as much pain by now?

Oh as for physical therapy, the Dr wanted me to start immediately after the post-op. (so at 2 weeks rather tahn 4) however the PT herself thought that was too soon since there is still going to be swelling on the foot at that point (in fact all swelling took a good 4 mos to disappear) The faster (in theory) you start moving it, the better your post op range of motion wll be and the faster you will be back to normal ambulation. Also the more you move it, the more the scar tissue dissolves and that also helps decrease the swelling so it is kind of a chicken-egg situation...

I hope some of this helps? I was about to post a report on my right foot, which just received a chilectomy only (yesterday). I will post this and then add another post.

p.s. I had not thought about the driving boot as illegal but you have a very good question there. I have no idea. I know if you're on narcotics you should not be driving. In theory if you dont have full use of your leg you also shouldnt be driving, but i have no idea what the actual laws on such things are. (?) Maybe it's on the DMV site for your state (??)

Hugs,
formerDancer

Last edited by Former_Dancer; 11-19-2011 at 11:09 AM.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #9
(female)

Former_Dancer HB User

I wanted to post another report on the "Cheilectomy Only" that I had on my right foot yesterday, November 18th. In this case the doctor shaved off the bone spurs but did not bisect the first metatarsal bone -- therefore no pins, no carving this time. The pain in that toe began only this August -- he said I could have waited a year or more, and it was up to me. However the loss of ROM in my left foot by the time I had surgery was so severe, I did not want to put this off for another 12 months and risk ending up with even less ROM. So I chose to do the surgery now.

After the surgery the Dr told me the cartilage was cracked -- which is why my toe kept "catching". (I would have to dislodge it manually in order to get it to move at all. When it happens that is very frightening!) So he said he drilled some holes in the cracked areas to encourage scar tissue. This scares the heck out of me bc an orthoped surgeon who treats dancers had advised me against it before, saying its not the same as regular cartilage. The question though is, is it better than cracked cartilage or bone on bone. I am hoping he did the right thing but i wont know for a while now. We unfortunately didnt discuss him drilling (Or not drilling). I trust him and believe he wouldnt have done it if it wasnt necessary but i am scared what the results may be.

Anyhow today I am 21 hours post-op and the recovery has been different from the last time. Last time my toe remained numb much much longer, to the point I called the Dr, concerned that I still felt nothing. At presnet time I feel all four toes. Only the big toe is numb. At 12 hrs post op (which was 2am for me!) I started feeling the first pain, under my arch in my foot. The pain woke me up. I took an ibuprofren and iced it and went back to sleep for another 3 hrs, when pain woke me again. Rinse repeat. I'm icing it now, it's elevated (it falls off the pillows when i fall asleep and the lack of elevation causes pain that wakes me up). Anyway, baby steps, proverbally speaking.

I"ll post more as the recovery goes forward. But since one foot had both cheilectomy and osteotomy, and this foot has only the former, I thought it would be good to have a record online of the difference in healnig between the two.

Hugs to all,
FormerDancer

Old 11-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #10
(male)

Barryc987 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Dancer View Post
HI Barry,
By "cast" I presume you meant a tight elastic stretch ace bandage over gauze? In any case, typically at the post op appointment yes, they remove all the bandages and at that point you can shower normally. They want to be sure the incision is 100% closed so that it wont tear open on its own - keeping bandages on and dry is key for that reason.

You will find it will throb less if you keep it elevated all the time and ice the ankle area as much as possible (to cool the blood going into the toe part of foot). I know they say you can walk on it immediatley but to me the pain is not worth it. First 3 days I use crutches and put no weight on it, and I had very little pain or swelling. The more you use it, the more the tissues will swell and the tight bandage around swollen tissues makes it throb -- ie there is more fluid in there.

If I can suggest, when you go back to work on the 21st, try to still keep the foot elevated -- even if you can keep it at hip level under your desk (prop it up on a box or something) it will really really help with swelling and pain and faster healing.

My parents are both in medecine and to quote my mother "Advil and Tylenol are like water". I personally take Ibuprofren for both pain/swelling at nighttime -- it also helps me sleep. During the day (first three days) I have Percocet -- but your Dr should have given you some sort of strong Rx painkiller (vicodin, codeine, percocet?) I am *not* a fan of the narcotics, would almost rather have the pain than that "hit by a train" feeling that comes after Percocet, but temporarily it distracts your neuro system from teh fact that you are, in fact, in pain. So I dont know about Aleve but the amount of Advil i would need for pain would shred my stomach to pieces... if you have a stronger Rx i would take it...although I note that your post op is on Monday so you should be in not as much pain by now?

Oh as for physical therapy, the Dr wanted me to start immediately after the post-op. (so at 2 weeks rather tahn 4) however the PT herself thought that was too soon since there is still going to be swelling on the foot at that point (in fact all swelling took a good 4 mos to disappear) The faster (in theory) you start moving it, the better your post op range of motion wll be and the faster you will be back to normal ambulation. Also the more you move it, the more the scar tissue dissolves and that also helps decrease the swelling so it is kind of a chicken-egg situation...

I hope some of this helps? I was about to post a report on my right foot, which just received a chilectomy only (yesterday). I will post this and then add another post.

p.s. I had not thought about the driving boot as illegal but you have a very good question there. I have no idea. I know if you're on narcotics you should not be driving. In theory if you dont have full use of your leg you also shouldnt be driving, but i have no idea what the actual laws on such things are. (?) Maybe it's on the DMV site for your state (??)

Hugs,
formerDancer
Hi Dancer, so we are sort of on the same recovery path now that you have had your other foot done! I wish you a speedy recovery.
My doc had prescribed a non-narcotic and I only needed it for the first 2 days - the Advil is working to keep the swelling down and it is really not too bad. One thing I did not mention was that I found out when the doc was talking to me after the surgery that my cartridge was torn - he removed the torn section and on all the good section which remained, he drilled tiny holes in it to stimulate growth - that sounds exactly what your MD did, so it seems a common practice.
The cast i was mentioning seems what you described, it is actual cast material like a wrap around the foot covering the place where the incision was made.....my stitches are the type that will dissolve and the 2 tiny titanium screws he put will be permanent. I hope he will take the cast off Monday. It's interesting, I can bare partial weight when I use the velcro shoe boot, and the only pain is the throbbing - again, you are soooo right, the more I elevate it the better it feels.
Ok, I wish the a safe full recovery on your new operation. Keep in touch.
Barry.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:54 PM   #11
(female)

Former_Dancer HB User

Thanks so much Barry. I wish you the continuation of a speedy recovery too! Patience and time and it will all be super :-)

I'm relieved to hear you had the same thing with the hole drilling. I know it's pretty widespread, I just wonder about the usefulness of doing so versus not doing so (10 years later i mean). I will be curious, as you heal (since you're 2 weeks ahead of me) how your joint feels when you start moving it more and walking more.

Your cast sounds different than mine -- mine is not cast-like material (Ie not plaster, and not that fiberglass-type modern cast substance either). It is a sticky stretchy gauze, that when you wind it around, on top of the base of sterile white gauze, it sticks in place and also acts like a minor tourniquet (stretchy). My bandages (both times) have been made from this and they go up to the ankle and cover all five metatarsals -- I can only see the tips of the toes, but I have the surgical sock over that foot now (its cold here!)

I would be pretty surprised if he doesnt take your cast off Monday. Can I ask where your screws are? In my left foot I had only 1 screw in and it was on the top of the foot, halfway between the peak of the arch bone and the end of the 1st metatarsalphalangal joint. I had that removed in October bc it was bothering me and was no longer necessary. But i'm curious where the location of a second screw would be.

I also had the dissolvable sutures/stitches which is so much nicer (to save you a trip to the Dr!)

Ok, I wish you too a full and safe recovery. Do post back Monday after the Dr and let us know how it went!

Hugs,
Elizaveta

Old 12-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #12
(male)

Barryc987 HB User

Hi Elizaveta. Sorry that i have not responded sooner.
You were right, the wrap cast stayed on for a few weeks. It has now been 25 days - i was on crutches for the first 21, now using a cane, and always walking with one of those flat velcro boots. I am scheduled to start some PT next week. I think he will no longer wrap the foot, just use some type of splint for the next week.
How are you doing with your ordeal? I hope you are not in too much pain? What is going on with you.
Regards, Barry.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:58 PM   #13
(female)

Former_Dancer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryc987 View Post
Hi Elizaveta. Sorry that i have not responded sooner.
You were right, the wrap cast stayed on for a few weeks. It has now been 25 days - i was on crutches for the first 21, now using a cane, and always walking with one of those flat velcro boots. I am scheduled to start some PT next week. I think he will no longer wrap the foot, just use some type of splint for the next week.
How are you doing with your ordeal? I hope you are not in too much pain? What is going on with you.
Regards, Barry.
Hi Barry,
Good to hear from you I was curious how things were going. Everything you say seems pretty standard. The osteotomy does take longer than just a plain cheilectomy to get going, so the fact that you're doing PT around week four sounds normal to me. I started on week 3 after the osteotomy, however bc the incision is still so tender at that point, the PT couldnt really do much so she ended up working on the other muscles in the leg. I found it still helpful bc everything is interrelated, ie its not just about the toe but the entire foot/leg. It also helps take your mind off of "the toe" when you are focused on getting strength back in, say, the calf or thigh muscle.
As it is with this chielectomy I'm now on day #20 also. I have no trouble limping walking in the surgical shoe but things are still so tender that I'm not wearing normal shoes yet. I can go up/down stairs and walk pretty much unlimited. It's Tuesday night here and on Sunday I did a LOT of work on my toe. I warmed it up and stretched it three times for about 10 min each. Well I cant say i was in pain but it was even more stiff and sore all day Monday/yesterday. So i took that off. Today I walked on it but haven't stretched. I will do more stretching tomororw. It feels like 5 steps forward, 3 steps back and my PT says that is normal.

Also for the record I wrote my Dr asking when i can expect normal ROM. I was so painfree (No ice and no meds) on Sunday, that is what prompted me to do so much stretching, trying to regain range of motion. ANd while I got much more, I was disappointed it was not 100%. (impatient is me!) He said you can not expect to have full ROM before month #3 and my PT separately confirmed that. She added that any amount of tissue stretch is able to be regained but MOST people give up at the 4 month mark with therapy. I had read another poster on here who made huge strides at the 4 month mark, she said she had about given up but then it all came through. So just something to keep in mind in case you, like me, get frustrated because things dont progress fast enough.

Well that is it for now. :-) Hang in there and good luck with the PT. Keep me posted on your progress please, us surgeried folk need to stick together ))

Old 12-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #14
(male)

Barryc987 HB User

Hi, really glad to hear u r progressing quickly. Yesterday and today as I walk more on it trying to gingerly flex forward I have experienced some new pains, so I will be limping a bit more...really looking forward to the first pt to hear what they say and see how much pain there will be. Anyhow, take care and take iit slow, talk to u soon. Barry

Old 12-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #15
(female)

Former_Dancer HB User

I dont know if this is related, but after I do more stretching or "use" it more, I tend to have more nerve pain (those sudden unexplained "zings" that happen in a millisecond and then are gone, the ones you get anywhere in the general toe area, long after you've stopped moving or weight bearing). Not sure if that's what you have or not. If so, that is a good sign though, as it means the nerves that were severed in the surgery are regenerating themselves. (Call me crazy but i'm one of those patients who wants to know why something hurts and if its reason to worry or not!) Anyhow, good luck with the PT appointment . Hang in there.

Last edited by Former_Dancer; 12-06-2011 at 06:14 PM.

Closed Thread