It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
(male)

GoBrowns HB User
Unhappy Modified Brostrom-More pain after cast removed

I had a Modified Brostrom 1/18 with arthroscopic debridement. I was in a cast for 2 1/2 week NWB. Pain wasn't awful, but still decent. I had the cast removed on 2/4 and put in a boot with very light WB. My pain after the cast and since I have been in the boot has been at times almost unbearable (especially in the morning), to the point of almost tears. My calf and knee are also hurting (this could be from the boot limiting range of motion)....... Is this normal for others who have gone through this? (And of course, the doctor won't refill Percocet, only Vicodin.) Outside of the PWB, my routine has been exactly as before (meaning, sitting in a recliner with my leg propped up).
Any insight would be great. I go back to my OS on 2/25

Old 02-09-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User
Re: Modified Brostrom-More pain after cast removed

I would phone the ortho's office. Perhaps the boot is putting pressure somewhere different than the cast did? I found the boot heavier than my cast when I broke my foot, so perhaps it's a bit of that too. I wouldn't wait until the 25th if I was you. That's a long time to have that much pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

The boot allows more movement, so maybe that's what is causing the pain. Also, I found that sleeping in the boot was more uncomfortable than sleeping in a cast. You might need to loosen up the straps on the boot at night. It could also be the shift from NWB to PWB.

Definitely worth a call to the doctor, though, as even if those things were causing pain, you'd think it should be getting better after 5 days. Also, it's a long shot, but increased pain in your calf after immobilization could be a sign of a blood clot.

The Following User Says Thank You to kehorner For This Useful Post:
GoBrowns (02-09-2011)
Old 02-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User

Definitely you have to loosen the boot at night -- I found especially at the toes I couldn't handle it tight at night. I also took out the front plastic piece at nice, and left the boot fairly loose -- enough to protect the foot, and not so tight that it bound anywhere.

The Following User Says Thank You to michlei For This Useful Post:
GoBrowns (02-09-2011)
Old 02-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
(male)

GoBrowns HB User

Thanks for responses so far....took front plastic off and I will see what loosening the straps do.

Closed Thread