It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
(male)

Lowry HB User
Lateral Ligament Ankle Reconstruction

So I go in on Thursday (Feb. 17th) to have an Ankle Reconstruction. I thought I would post on here and say hello because reading some of the past threads on here has really helped me and given me a lot of information

The point of this thread is that I know there are a few people on here who are going in for the same thing in the next few months, so I will try my best to update you all over the next few weeks as I progress on what to expect and try to give you the first hand information that has helped me

So, hello to everyone and good luck!

Old 02-16-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
(female)

supermama520 HB User
Re: Lateral Ligament Ankle Reconstruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowry View Post
So I go in on Thursday (Feb. 17th) to have an Ankle Reconstruction. I thought I would post on here and say hello because reading some of the past threads on here has really helped me and given me a lot of information

The point of this thread is that I know there are a few people on here who are going in for the same thing in the next few months, so I will try my best to update you all over the next few weeks as I progress on what to expect and try to give you the first hand information that has helped me

So, hello to everyone and good luck!

Good luck!I am having this done March 3rd and I am scared to death.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2011, 05:41 AM   #3
(male)

Lowry HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermama520 View Post
Good luck!I am having this done March 3rd and I am scared to death.
Good luck!

I was in overnight, got back home today. I have to say, the day and night right after the surgery are very misleading. I was fine yesterday, not too much pain, it was great. Then the general anaesthetic wore off today and I've been hit with a lot of pain, don't want to scare you but I want you to be prepared for the day after when it all wears off.

The surgeon said it went well. The only trouble I had was when the nurse was inserting the IV into the back of my hand, she missed twice and was stabbing at my hand for a few minutes, I almost passed out lol.

So far it hasn't been too bad, getting around on the crutches is a bit of a hassle as I've noticed that any kind of knock or slight tap to the cast causes a jolt of pain. Also, everyone says that keeping it elevated above heart level reduces swelling and pain, but I've found it hurts more when I have it up that high. I have it elevated on 2 pillows but I'm kind of sitting up, not laying flat, and that's where I have had less pain.

Don't be too scared of it though, of course you know it's gonna be a bit painful after the surgery, but as long as you keep up with the painkillers you should be fine

Any questions feel free to ask

Old 02-18-2011, 05:56 AM   #4
(female)

supermama520 HB User

Are you in a regular cast niw,or will you get that so many days post op.Does everyone stay overnight in the hossy.I go monday for my pre op do u have any questions that i recommend asking?

Old 02-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermama520 View Post
Are you in a regular cast niw,or will you get that so many days post op.Does everyone stay overnight in the hossy.I go monday for my pre op do u have any questions that i recommend asking?
I recommend that you ask any questions that you want to know the answers to.

Depending on your surgeon's preference, you will either be in a large surgical bandage (keeps you from moving like a cast, but it's soft), or a cast when you wake up. I think most people go home the day of the surgery. My surgery was scheduled for 8 am, and I was home in the early afternoon.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:19 AM   #6
(male)

Lowry HB User

Well, I'm now 2 weeks post op. I have to say, it hasn't been as bad as I expected so far, but, I'm not weight bearing yet so I'll see how that is when it comes.

I had pretty bad pain for the first 3-4 days after the surgery, but after that the pain pretty much disappeared! For just over a week I was pain free with no painkillers, it was still very tender if I moved it quickly and the cast touched it but that was it.

Unfortunately, my no pain streak ended last night. I lost my balance on the crutches and fell into a wall and then crash landed in a plastic chair. In all of the panic of losing my balance I instinctively put my foot down, it didn't hurt when I put it down, but about 30 seconds later I got quite a bit of pain and have been suffering for the last 24 hours

The cast comes off on Tuesday (8th March) thank God!! The cast has been so annoying!! I'm not sure what actually happens on Tuesday, whether I start weight bearing or not, my surgeon seems to do things differently to everyone else so I have to wait and see.

Supermama, sorry I didn't reply quick enough but I hope you found out everything you needed to. The strange thing is I didn't even have a pre op appointment so I don't know what to ask! My main advice for after the surgery is to keep up on your meds, mainly for the first few days, and make sure you and your family keep the floors in your house clear so there's nothing that will trip you over.

Best of luck!!

Closed Thread