It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
(female)

nicelady HB Usernicelady HB User
Cronic Foot Pain

A year or so ago my feet started aching. Shooting, burning pains. I had seen an internet post about a child asking a grandma about what it is like to be old and one of the items was put pebbles in your shoes. So I just chalked it up to being old.

My daughter finally talked me into going to a podiatrist. He prescribed Neurontin which seemed to have no effect. He also stated that low B-12 could cause the problem so I have been on B-12 injections for about 9 months.

I have tried all kinds of lotions and orthotics but the only thing that gives temporary relief is a short cold water soak which I do almost every night to help me sleep.

They hurt all day but the worst is at night - it is difficult to sleep because of the pain. Eventually I go to sleep and the pain is less in the morning which has caused me to over sleep.

The only other person I know of with this kind of pain is my daughter-in-law's mother who has passed. She described it exactly. It is like you have no pads on your feet and you are walking on the bones.

I will probably go back to the podiatrist but have no hope that I am going to get relief.

Last edited by nicelady; 02-16-2011 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Misspelled.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User
Re: Cronic Foot Pain

No one on here can diagnose the cause of your pain, but have you asked about fat pad atrophy? There are treatments for it, though I understand the surgical ones don't always have good outcomes, but an orthotic should help. Do a search on this group for "fat pad atrophy" and you'll find lots of others who have experience with this and can steer you in the right direction. Read below to see if this fits somewhat:

Symptoms
•Experiencing pain in the ball of the foot is only one of the symptoms of fat pad atrophy. Other symptoms include pain that gets worse when standing and improves once seated. Toes may feel numb or tingle. A common symptom for patients with fat pad atrophy is the feeling of having a small rock in their shoe. The pain will get worse if walking barefoot, and calluses will appear and become very thick on the ball of the foot.

Nonsurgical Treatments
•Fat pad atrophy can be treated without surgery if treatment is started soon enough. Custom orthotics inserted into the shoes is the common type of treatment. A mold is taken of the foot and the orthotic is molded to fit the foot. The result is the lifting of the metatarsal so that it is aligned with the others and no longer carries more of the body weight than the other metatarsals.
Surgical Treatment
•If nonsurgical treatments fail to relieve the pain, surgery may be necessary. The surgery is designed to restore balance to the metatarsals and alleviate the excess pressure. This is done by cutting the offending metatarsal and raising it into the correct position within the foot. The bone is secured in this new position with a pin. After recovering from the surgery the patient should no longer feel any pain when walking.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
(female)

I saw and read some of that on "fat pad atrophy" and maybe that is it but I have seen a podiatrist and he did not mention that. I have tried orthotics - not custom fit but that may be my next try. My pain is cronic - not just when walking. I am sitting right now and my feet ache. I get shooting pains from bottom to top and top to bottom. You say toes tingle. To me it feels like a shock in my toes so much sometimes it literally make me jump and gasp. Guess what I was hoping to find on the site is someone who has experienced the same thing and found a solution. I am currently on B-12 as podiatrist said if low that can also cause these kind of problems - have been for about nine months now - no improvement. I am also considering acupuncture.

Last edited by nicelady; 02-17-2011 at 12:13 PM. Reason: add

Old 02-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User

He may not have mentioned it, but why not ask? And custom orthotics may indeed help you.

Other than that, I'm sure there will be others who respond to you who have had the same thing for sure.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User

Hi Niceluckylady

I too have both feet with stabbing pains, when i sit,stand or even lay down.
4 years ago i did have the custom orthodic made and for me it was no more better..paid $500 for them and they now just sit not being used, too painful.

The podiatrist i seen had ultrasound of both of my feet, which results are plantar fasciitis of both feet. Before the ultrasound i had xrays as i described my feet felt as if bones were broke. That's just how they felt.
xrays showed nothing wrong although the ultrasound showed a diagnosis of the plantar fasciits.

I have the pain all throughout feet pads, ball of feet even my toes hurt so bad. I do get burning pain also.

You're not alone with this, i hope you find comfort. In my home i do wear very soft cushion slippers, cannot wear any other as too painful.

Please keep posting as to updates you may find..
I completely understand your feet in pain.

Be Well
BeHappy2

Old 02-20-2011, 07:52 AM   #6
(female)

ouchmyfootlol HB User

my first thought was it could be nerve pain.
Hope you find an answer soon.

best of luck.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
(female)

That is what my PCP suggested and said they usually cannot find the exact cause. I do not have diabeties but I have tried all the stuff they put out for that nerve related pain "Neuragen PN" and "Zostrix" - I have taken Aleve and things like that to no use. Just ordered some Freezie Foot wraps since a cold water soak seems to help. Will advise if that helps.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:55 AM   #8
(female)

Someone has suggested it might be Morton's Neuroma - and after researching it that sounds like what I have. What I have read says Alcohol Sclerosing Injections are a usually successful solution. I will discuss with my podiatrist - when I go back.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:18 AM   #9
(female)

Freezie Ffoot Wraps did no goog. The cold part only goes up the bottom of the foot and it does not last very long. As I stated earlier the only relief I get is in a small foot bath of cold water.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:38 AM   #10
(female)

Went back to podiatrist yesterday. He says I have neuropathy. When I read about neuropathy it is something that is caused by Diabetes, which I do not have, and it states you lose feeling in your feet. My feet still hurt all the time. He had given me Neurontin (300 mg) last year and it seemed to do nothing. I had read from some other people probably here that the Neurontin has to reach a certain point for it to even work if it is going to work. This person was talking about going up to 3000 mg. Anyhow he gave me Nerrontin again but had me up the dose to 600mg (2 pills) at night. I have to admit that I did sleep thru the night, which I usually do not do waking up every couple of hours. He also did a nerve block only in my left foot because I was driving. He said for some people doing this 2 or 3 times a year stops the pain. He said it was like rebooting a computer. When the feeling comes back it is suppose to run right rather than have the pain. The deadning only lasted a few hours and even today I do not have the ache but I think I need to wait and see. I found the shot he did twice into my foot just below the ankle on the inside of my foot to be painful but if it does make the aching go away it will be worth it. Will keep posting to let you know how this turns out

Old 12-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #11
(female)

My podiatrist tried a nerve block that did not work. He upped the gabapentin to 600mg 3 times a day. It helps. I am going up to Emory Physical Therapy for a Tens Unit treatment. I have read where that helps. And oh, by the way I have been diagnosed with Diabetes. Go figure. I went from taking no medicine to taking a bunch of stuff. Will let you know how the tens does. Am told if it works I can buy my own and use it at home.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #12
(female)

Went for Ten's Treatment - didn't seem to do a thing. Therapist said it might take a couple of treatments. Also, she stated this would not last. This might help with me sleeping at night if I get my own unit and she stated insurance would help pay for it. She is checking into that now and will call me back for another treatment at Emory Physical Thearpy.

Last edited by nicelady; 12-19-2011 at 01:50 PM.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:53 AM   #13
(female)

In NOV 2011 I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes - the podiatrist said that diabetes damaged the nerves in the feet and he uped the Gabapentin (Neurontin) to 600mg 3 times a day. It helps some. I tried the low level light therapy - works like tens - while doing it eases the pain but nothing permanent. My last hope is Acupuncture. Check out the Mayo Clinic site - it goes thru all this and even lists a acupuncture. Anyone had any luck with acupuncture helping neuropathy in the feet?

Old 08-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #14
(female)

Gimp123 HB UserGimp123 HB User

Hi, I've had about 8 acupuncture treatments since the first of the year and feel that they do work. It takes like 3 or 4 times and then every 6 wks or so for maintenance. (I had drop foot with the nerve pain and just had tendon transfer surgery to help me walk without using an AFO or cane. ... only 10 wks post op, but feeling optomistic!)

Closed Thread