It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
(male)

Sergio82 HB User
Foot is crooked. Plz help I have no idea why.

Please help me. Yrs ago I was about 300 pounds and started a diet plan. Would run and walk in a Nike air force. (yeah dumb) I was new and had no experience. All of a sudden I had bad bad pain in my right ankle and arch. Now when I run I push off better and my left leg is stronger. I've tried different shoes and even have custom orthotics. Had them for about 4 months now. Still nothing. What can I do? Illnpost some pictures. Please any advice will help. I'm just not sure what path to take.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
(male)

Sergio82 HB User
Re: Foot is crooked. Plz help I have no idea why.

foot.jpg

foot2.jpg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
(male)

Sergio82 HB User

foot4.jpg

so thats the problem i have guys. umm, i run on it everyday. i wish i can be straight. the pain kills me. it also kills my knee and i cant walk barefoot with it killling pain. the other day i went to roadrunner sports, a shoe store and the made me run to record my stride on a treadmill barefoot, i seriously almost cried from the pain. please offer suggestions. im looking for any help

Old 02-27-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
(female)

FlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB User

The photo was very helpful. I can only tell you my experience with my right foot turning out in a similar way. On Oct. 1, I had surgery to repair the postier tibial tendon "PTT" and to rebuild my flatfoot. And to lenghten my calf muscle. Your foot sounds like the early stages of something possibly similar.

Here's what my doc told me: the foot turns out because the calf muscles are too short. The shortened (or tight) muscle prevents the foot from flexing a bit more than 90 degrees when the knee and leg is straight, so to compensate the foot turns out and the walking (running) movement goes onto to inside of the foot and arch. That pulls on the PTT, which goes from the arch of the foot up past the ankle bone, and strains it (or as in my case it eventually tore as my condition got worse). This tendon is supposed to support the foot, and when it can't, it hurts!

You may also get useful info from googling "posterior tibial tendon disorder" or PTTD.

I see you already have custom orthotics, go back to that doctor and let him/her know about the pain. Try using nike type pool shoes or birkenstock pool shoes to wear in the shower and as slippers, so you don't have to walk in bare feet. Try stretching your calves every morning and before exercise and use a foot roller to stretch the muscles on the bottom of the foot. And for now, walk instead of running. Use ice when the feet hurt and some type of analgesic.

Good luck!

Last edited by FlatfootDiva; 02-27-2011 at 02:03 PM.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
(male)

Sergio82 HB User

Thanks alot. I run on it alot. The pain isn't as bad as it once was just hate how I feel my left leg 100times stronger. As a result my left leg and calf is about 1 inch bigger. Yes I would prefer surgery to fix the problem. I hate it. I read that it appens also when ur overweight an I was 100 pounds heavier. So how long is recovery? How long will it take to be back to normal? Who do I see a ortho or podiatrist? Thanks diva. It's really helpful.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
(female)

wants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB User

I would certainly look at getting a referral and seeing a foot and ankle Dr. I agree, as someone who has had surgery to correct a tear in my PTT which caused me to over pronate and my arch in my foot to collapse. I imagine that if you were to stand and put weight into your right foot, your ankle rolls inward?
If you need surgery to correct the PTT and if that surgery includes a calcaneal osteotomy, then it is a very involved surgery that has a long recovery in casts and crutches for a couple of months. Many of us have been through it. Try to get a diagnosis and treatment plan and let us know what they say.

Last edited by wants to walk; 02-27-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:47 PM   #7
(female)

FlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio82 View Post
Thanks alot. I run on it alot. The pain isn't as bad as it once was just hate how I feel my left leg 100times stronger. As a result my left leg and calf is about 1 inch bigger. Yes I would prefer surgery to fix the problem. I hate it. I read that it appens also when ur overweight an I was 100 pounds heavier. So how long is recovery? How long will it take to be back to normal? Who do I see a ortho or podiatrist? Thanks diva. It's really helpful.
Take a look at my post on the thread called "Success" for my progress story. You may not need all the repairs I did so the healing time may be less. I am heavy and that did contribute to my foot problem, but I have had bad feet most of my life even when I was thin.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
(male)

Sergio82 HB User

Yes I roll inward with any show. Motion control and orthotics or stabilty. It doesn't matter. When I stand in looks like I have a bump poping out of my last shoe lace hole. I will definatly go to the doc. It just hurts me that all the progress I have made thus far with my exercise and diet will be put on hold for a while... Thank you diva.. Thank all of u. U guys have no idea what it means to have feedback, input some1 that understands me..

Old 03-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #9
(female)

indaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB Userindaslot HB User

I don't think you should run on it for the time being. I agree with the others that you should have clinical exam, MRI and probably X-ray performed by an othopedic surgeon who specializes in foot and ankle surgery.Maybe you can bike in the meantime to keep fit.

Closed Thread