It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User
What to expect from a CT scan on the foot?

I have pain and tenderness under the cuboid bone (feels like I'm walking on a sharp rock), and pain and tenderness on the lateral ankle. Been doing anti-inflammatories, physio (ultrasound, interferential, ice, massage, etc.), but this issue under the cuboid bone is still there. I think it could be painful OS peroneum syndrome, but won't find out until I see the ortho on Apr 6. I did also have some tendinitis on the inner ankle, and burning up the outer leg, but that's pretty much subsided unless I'm on my feet too much (which isn't very much ...)

My LTD plan is fast-tracking me for a CT scan in the next few days. I am hoping the scan shows what it needs to.

My question: I know a CT scan shows bone, but does it also show enough soft tissue damage to be able to tell if I have a tear in the peroneal longus tendon (or peroneus brevis)? Or does it just show swelling and thickening, which may indicate a tear, rather than the tear itself? The LTD person said it showed everything, but if so, what's the difference between what the CT shows and what an MRI shows? more detail?

If the CT doesn't show what's wrong, I may not get LTD, so I'm hoping it will show something.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:55 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User
Re: What to expect from a CT scan on the foot?

[BUMP]

No one here knows what a CT scan will show me? Does it show only the bones? Or does it show some soft tissue as well? If so, what types?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2011, 04:35 AM   #3
(female)

anotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB User

Unfortunately, I don't know what a cat scan shows although I have had many. I'm thinking it probably does not show soft tissue because I've had soft tissue problems for 20 years and have been told such issues won't show up in the type of tests I have had which are MRI's, CAT scans, regular x-rays. (I have a vague memory of someone saying perhaps a radiograph shows soft tissue - but I'm not certain). (I'm not a dr. nor a medical professional). Yet, perhaps in the foot it's different. I hope someone can help you in this regard. Good luck with everything - wish the best for you.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:54 PM   #4
(female)

Cmj806 HB User

CT scans show bone, soft tissue, blood vessels. like a more indepth mri in a way. it shows lots of views of your foot in slices. im studying to be a surgical tech and am currently taking an imaging class.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:25 AM   #5
(female)

anotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmj806 View Post
CT scans show bone, soft tissue, blood vessels. like a more indepth mri in a way. it shows lots of views of your foot in slices. im studying to be a surgical tech and am currently taking an imaging class.
Okay - thanks - what shows nerves? Radiographs??? Thanks

Old 03-07-2011, 09:29 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

So will it show tendons? I know it doesn't show enough detail to see a tear, and even an MRI can miss a tear, but I have heavy duty tendon soreness as well as a suspected fracture.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
(female)

wants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB User

Why don't you just call your doctor who ordered this test and ask? Or the Ct scan unit at the hospital?

Old 03-07-2011, 09:39 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

I did ask the doctor and she said it would show everything but everyone else seems to get MRI's. I think they may be doing a CT with contrast so it will show more. I'm wondering b/c I want them to show the bones as the doctor is wondering about a stress or hairline fracture, but also want the tendons to show as I am having tendon issues...

Oh well, it's on Tuesday, so shall find out one way or the other in a few days when I get the results!

Old 03-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #9
(female)

wants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB User

My sports medicine Dr started with a bone scan and a MRI and said depending if anything showed on the MRI, she may consider a Ct scan-so it does show more than a MRI. In my case, the injury had a significiant enough tear to show on the MRI as well as problems on my bone scan so I didn't have a Ct scan. My surgeon did do a 2nd MRI closer to my surgery date for an updated image.

The Following User Says Thank You to wants to walk For This Useful Post:
anotherpatty (03-08-2011)
Old 03-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

I asked the technologist with the CT, and she said it shows bones and cartilage. It can show tendons where they insert into the bone, but that's it. So if this isn't a bone/cartilage issue, and a tendon issue, I'm no further ahead...

Old 03-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User

Hope it showed what it needed to show you have already waited so long. Let us know the results. Good luck.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:23 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Yes, I hope so too. I probably won't get them until early next week, most likely when I see the ortho next Thurs. (the 17th) unless my GP phones me before then.

Closed Thread