It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
(female)

deborahrgoldman HB User
cam walking boot

Hi,

I just got a Cam Walking boot today after 8 weeks of nwb. Got a fractured calcaneus of my left foot had surgery and got the plates and screws. Starting physical therepy next week.

Does anyone have any sugestions or advice about walking with a cam walking boot?

Thank you!

Old 03-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: cam walking boot

I'm not sure what you mean by how to walk with it... You just sort of do. The bottom is rounded so that you can achieve a fairly normal gait.

Since you have been NWB for 8 weeks, you'll want to start out slowly. Start off partial weight bearing with the crutches. Your foot will probably feel really weird and tingly when you start, and it might hurt a lot. Just put as much weight as you feel comfortable with on the foot. You'll be able to slowly increase that. You can go down to just one crutch (on the opposite side from your bad foot) when you feel ready, and then down to no crutches.

The Following User Says Thank You to kehorner For This Useful Post:
deborahrgoldman (03-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

I strongly recommend a product called even ups. It is kind of an extra sole that attaches to your shoe by elastic straps. I found that the camwalker made enough of a difference between the two legs to cause hip and back pain. The even ups really helped with the pain.

The Following User Says Thank You to roxygirl1 For This Useful Post:
deborahrgoldman (03-03-2011)
Old 03-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
(female)

ketaylor1980 HB Userketaylor1980 HB User

I have been in a walking boot for over a month waiting on my surgery. So I don't know what it would feel like from coming off of NWB. But make sure you either have long socks or tuck you pant leg into the boot. The metal support can cause sores on your legs. That can be a pain in the leg. Pardon the pun. Make sure you keep it tight enough to keep you supported but not tight enough it causes pain. Your first couple of steps you will think you will have to pick your foot straight up and put it straight down. Remember that the sole is curved so you can walk with a heel toe pattern without bending your ankle. Try to make youself use this pattern becuase it will lessen the possiblitiy of tripping on the toe of the boot. These are all things that I have learned on my own and I have done all of the above. I don't have long socks and don't like tucking my pant leg into the boot so I take a ace bandage and wrap my leg LOOSELY to protect my leg. I hope this helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to ketaylor1980 For This Useful Post:
deborahrgoldman (03-03-2011)
Old 03-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
(female)

deborahrgoldman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketaylor1980 View Post
I have been in a walking boot for over a month waiting on my surgery. So I don't know what it would feel like from coming off of NWB. But make sure you either have long socks or tuck you pant leg into the boot. The metal support can cause sores on your legs. That can be a pain in the leg. Pardon the pun. Make sure you keep it tight enough to keep you supported but not tight enough it causes pain. Your first couple of steps you will think you will have to pick your foot straight up and put it straight down. Remember that the sole is curved so you can walk with a heel toe pattern without bending your ankle. Try to make youself use this pattern becuase it will lessen the possiblitiy of tripping on the toe of the boot. These are all things that I have learned on my own and I have done all of the above. I don't have long socks and don't like tucking my pant leg into the boot so I take a ace bandage and wrap my leg LOOSELY to protect my leg. I hope this helps.
The doctor gave me a compression bandage so I am using that. Thanks for the tips.

Closed Thread