It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
(female)

colombiana14 HB User
t minus 6 days!! getting the jitters!!

sooo...went to my preop appt yesterday and im good to go..the countdown has begun and im nervous!!! well doc said she also gonna do a bunionectomy..so in total it will be ankle arthoscopy, evans osteotomy, brostrom procedure, excision of fragment of navicular bone and a bunionectomy. My poor foot, but glad to be getting everything done at once!

Surgery...3 1/2 hrs long..question..how long does it take to wake up from surgery and what happens after you wake up? had knee surgery about 10 years ago..and dont remember...do they make you get up immediately or what?

well any advise or info would be great!!

Old 03-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
(female)

eann65 HB Usereann65 HB Usereann65 HB User
Re: t minus 6 days!! getting the jitters!!

I just had surgery friday..evans osteotomy, posterior tendon repair and metatarsal fusion with screws..are you staying the night? The first few days are pretty brutal..make sure you take your pain medicine around the clock, have someone with you so you are safe to get to the bathroom. I pretty much slept for 3 days and only got up to the bathroom but now it's day 5 and i'm doing much better..down to one pain pill every six hours and getting up much safer with my crutches and wheelchair...do you have a knee walker, shower seat and high rise toilet seat? These prior posts on this site helped me be prepared and it really helped. I know I've got a long road ahead but just taking it one day at a time..good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to eann65 For This Useful Post:
colombiana14 (03-09-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2011, 01:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

Be sure to read the thread "tactics for coping while non-weight bearing". It gives many great ideas of what to have prepared prior to surgery and things to do. The first couple of weeks are the toughest and you will need plenty of help. I am 7 mths post op and things will get so much better for you down the road. Stay ahead of the pain by taking the pain meds - don't wait for the pain to get bad before taking the meds and keep your foot elevated. Good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to Missyluke For This Useful Post:
colombiana14 (03-09-2011)
Old 03-09-2011, 05:57 AM   #4
(female)

colombiana14 HB User

@missyluke....i have read the "tactics" and they are very helpful..actually printed and posted it on my wall at home!! Im glad you are feeling better.... not looking forward to the post op pain..but meds will be my best friend for awhile. as for help..well..kinda gonna be on my on..fiance works full time and travels... i got this! (i hope).

@eann65...ummm..i dont have any of the itesm u mentioned..i guess i should invest in a wheelchair asap since surgery is monday! Im sure i will be out of it..but like i said above painkillers will be a good friend....

thanks to both for the advice! good luck to you guys too in your recovery!!

Old 03-10-2011, 03:06 PM   #5
(female)

ketaylor1980 HB Userketaylor1980 HB User

I just wanted to let you know that I am right behind you with my surgery. I will have a tibial osteotmy to fix a osteochandral lesion. After my pre-op today I am nervous for the pain that I know will come. My doctor gave me my scrips today for my pain medicine. Knowing that she gave me oxycoytins and percacets on top of anti nausua and antibiotics didn't make me feel any better. I have never taken oxycoytins and am a little scared of those.
I am unable to use a knee walker or wheelchair due to my home's set up. I plan on crawling around with my one year old more than useing my crutches at home. At work I can use a rolling chair as a knee walker. But from what I have heard if you can use it or a wheel chair use them! Best of luck to you!

Old 03-10-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
(female)

colombiana14 HB User

hey ke taylor 1980....wow good luck with your surgery...when is it??? well as for the pain meds, juz make sure u take them as prescribed and not on an empty stomach, they will make you quesy and thirsty and def sleepy!! ive had surgery before, but everytime i get nervous for the pain afterwards. crawling might not be the best idea because you might put unwanted weight on your foot, but be careful...whelchair around my apt is not ideal either, but will be using crutches. i feel for ya and keep me posted on how you are doing!! good luck!!!

Old 03-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

velvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB User

I just had flat foot reconstruction surgery 10 days ago so I can understand your anxiety and fears. It was my first ever surgery at 35. The general anesthesia kicked my rear. Was so nauseas I vomited upon arriving home. I think it took me much longer to fully wake up. I felt like someone drugged me heavily. I would try to come to and end up just falling asleep again. Spent four hours in recovery. Was too weak to get up 4 flight of stairs so I had to struggle getting up on my rear and scooting. I was so out of it I would have paid someone to carry me lol. Hope your experience is better than mine. Just have enough help and someone to stay with you for at least the first 24 hours. It's a huge adjustment.

The Following User Says Thank You to velvetrain For This Useful Post:
colombiana14 (03-10-2011)
Old 03-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
(female)

colombiana14 HB User

velvetrain!! hi...how are you feeling now?? I am a very independent person but i have to break down and be grateful for my fiance who wants to stay with me after my surgery!!
Thanks for the info!! good luck with your recovery

Old 03-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

velvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by colombiana14 View Post
velvetrain!! hi...how are you feeling now?? I am a very independent person but i have to break down and be grateful for my fiance who wants to stay with me after my surgery!!
Thanks for the info!! good luck with your recovery
I am managing okay despite still being in moderate pain. Thanks for asking. I miss my independence and being up walking around like a normal person. I am non weightbearing on my bad foot so I roll to the bathroom on a 4 wheel walker I took from my job. I work in physical therapy in a nursing home so all the toys most folks have to pay for I ended up borrowing from there. Be grateful you have your fiancée to assist you. Stock up on easy foods to prepare during the day and quick stuff because you will have zero energy to be trying to stand for more than a few minutes. Try to get your rest to help you on your way to a quick recovery. If you are still nervous and anxious the day if your surgerey be sure to tell your nurse as they can give you something to relax you. I asked because I was very nervous and anxious about being put to sleep. Kept having irrational fears I wouldn't wake up after the procedure. Was I ever glad to finally wake ip and realize I was still alive

Old 03-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #10
(female)

eann65 HB Usereann65 HB Usereann65 HB User

velvetrain, you sound like you have a job where you are on your feet all day..(so do I) how long do you think it will be before you can work? My doc told me three months but from a lot of posts i've read here that might be pushing it.
thanks and keep us posted on how you are doing, i'm 6 days post op and it's great to hear how everyone is doing.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:39 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eann65 View Post
velvetrain, you sound like you have a job where you are on your feet all day..(so do I) how long do you think it will be before you can work? My doc told me three months but from a lot of posts i've read here that might be pushing it.
thanks and keep us posted on how you are doing, i'm 6 days post op and it's great to hear how everyone is doing.
The surgeon told me I would be nwb for 6 wks the day of my surgerey.My medical leave papers say 12 weeks nwb so I need to get clarification at my next appointment. I personally can't afford to be out of work longer than that at risk of losing my job. Personally if the bone graft has healed and I can progress from partial weightbearing to full with only minimal discomfort I will be pushing to get back to work. My timeline is 9 weeks to get back. I don't need any mishaps which is why I am a sitting duck through the day.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

About waking up from anesthesia: Don't worry too much about this. It's pretty much like waking up in the morning. You shouldn't be horribly disoriented or out of it, but you might feel sleepy. I've had general anesthesia 3 times, and sedation for procedures several more times. You wake up in the recovery room and a nurse will be right there with you. You might wake up with some oxygen, but most likely they will have removed that before you become aware of your surroundings. You might be a little confused or have some needs, so don't hesitate to ask for what you need (a blanket, pain meds, etc.). If you feel at all nauseated, tell them and they will give you medication for that. My first thoughts on emerging from anesthesia have been stuff like: Is it over? What time is it? I'm cold. I'm in pain. Where's my stuffed animal? (Yes, I'm a grown woman and I take my stuffed Eeyore with me every time I have surgery. He comes right into the OR with me, and I get to hold onto him until I'm out.)

Some of the procedures vary by hospital, but in general, you wake up, talk to the nurse, your family member comes back to stay with you, they make sure your pain is under control and that you're fully awake, they have you eat and drink (usually pop/juice and graham crackers), and then you get dressed and go home. Or, if you are staying overnight, you get wheeled to your room.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kehorner For This Useful Post:
colombiana14 (03-11-2011), velvetrain (03-12-2011)
Old 03-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

I swear it amazes me just how those drugs put you to sleep in so little time. I remember them giving me some anxiety and pain meds before they started my iv. A half hour had passed before they started administering stuff in my iv. I remember asking the nurse am I supposed to be feeling sleepy yet? The answer was no. All I remember next was feeling a warm gush of fluid flowing in the iv. I started a brief conversation with the nurse about the type of work I do as they wheeled me out of the pre op room and to the OR and that is all I remember. Those drugs put me out quickly. Never got a chance to stay awake before getting to the OR. It reminded me of a brief but deep nap. Time seemed like it either stood still or moved really fast because as soon as I feel asleep it seemed like I woke up.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:48 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User

I've had back surgery, knee surgery and major abdominal surgery, and all three had general anesthesia. The only part I didn't like was going into the OR awake -- don't like all the "tools"! But I try not to look. As far as the anesthesia, I remember them saying, "Count backwards from 10" or something similar, and I can get MAYBE three words out, and I'm out. Then it seems like 2 seconds later, and I'm awake again and it's over. I also had a endoscopy and remember them putting the block in my mouth, etc., and then taking it out and I was confused b/c I was wondering why they put it in and took it out right away (didn't even realize I'd been out!).

I had variscose veins stripped (10 years ago) and had an epidural for that, and it was nice too. No grogginess, but it's weird not to be able to feel anything from the waist down.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:04 AM   #15
(female)

ketaylor1980 HB Userketaylor1980 HB User

Columbiana,

I just wanted to wish you luck with your surgery tomorrow! I hope every thing goes well and you are on your way to a speedy recovery!

The Following User Says Thank You to ketaylor1980 For This Useful Post:
colombiana14 (03-13-2011)
Closed Thread