It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
(male)

schlage HB User
bilateral calcaneus fracture

Hi,all

i am 12 weeks post op and just got the go ahead to start pwb and pt. i had an 18 foot fall on thanksgiving day. and, to quote my doctor, " powdered " my heels. both required surgery, left foot may need it again as there was too much tissue damage at the incision site to do a proper repair.

it's been a long road and i know there is a long way to go as i have been reading these boards a while. i have avoided becoming too depressed knowing that there a lot of people out there who have it worse than i, and that my injuries could have been much worse. a whole new world opened up when i discovered that ,with knee pads, i can get around quite well on my hands and knees even up and down the stairs. also, if you rub castor oil on your scars daily, they will disappear much sooner.

my concern is being able to continue as a heavy equipment mechanic. much of the day is spent on concrete floors and climbing up and down machinery. does any body run after this injury?

Old 03-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
Re: bilateral calcaneus fracture

If you can at work stand on rubber mats. Also use a stool or chair when you can. They make lots of mechanics chairs, with wheels, that go up and down.

Also good heavy socks. I wear light wool hikers in the summer and heavy in the winter.

For me standing is good, but its the quick back and forth running around that does it.

Try to plan things out better, take your tools with you or on a stand so your not running back and forth to your tool box.

Think of ways to make your life easier.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

A walker will help, more stable then crutches until your ready for a cane. I used a wheel chair when I was NWB.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

I started out wearing tennis shoes, when I didn't have to wear boots. I think my foot was to weak for boots. Plus the tennis shoes may have allowed more ROM. When my foot got stronger I went to 8" lace up boots, and thats all I pretty much wear, even when I am not at work.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
(male)

schlage HB User

thanks for your replies zerk, i'm hoping to go back to wearing 8" heeled work boots eventually, how soon into pt did you start wearing regular shoes?

Old 03-12-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Heeled boots might not work, depends on your ROM. I started wearing tennis shoes at 12 weeks. At month 9 I went back to work in the field, I started with 6" boots. Though I had trouble driving with them on and would wear my tennis shoes when ever I could.

Loosen up the laces of the boots may have allowed me to drive with them.

Around 14 months I was able to drive fine with the 6". I went got the 8" around months, but could have probably used them a little sooner.

8" provide more support, but I wasn't strong enough for them. Plus I think it was could to work my foot harder with the tennis shoes.

Now I wear 8" boots all the time, though I did before too. I like the tactical type, sorta cross between like lace up tennis shoe and boots, tend to be light.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
(male)

bacon1k HB User

Hey

I had both calcaneus fractures as well in nov 15/10. It gets easier but its a lifetime injury. I've been using sesame oil as it helps with the repair of the muscles and tendons underneath the skin. Also, I would recommend reflexology as this has been a god send for me. A good tigerbalm to use with the sesame oil is excellent for pain and aids in my stretching. I dont use any drugs except for the natural ones either! Cannabis is a great pain reliever.
For excercise I ride bike, play barefoot frisbee, lightly swing a golf club...anything for movement and strengthening (anything barefoot is an awesome workout)Hope this helps.

Cheers
Mark
QUOTE=schlage;4704916]Hi,all

i am 12 weeks post op and just got the go ahead to start pwb and pt. i had an 18 foot fall on thanksgiving day. and, to quote my doctor, " powdered " my heels. both required surgery, left foot may need it again as there was too much tissue damage at the incision site to do a proper repair.

it's been a long road and i know there is a long way to go as i have been reading these boards a while. i have avoided becoming too depressed knowing that there a lot of people out there who have it worse than i, and that my injuries could have been much worse. a whole new world opened up when i discovered that ,with knee pads, i can get around quite well on my hands and knees even up and down the stairs. also, if you rub castor oil on your scars daily, they will disappear much sooner.

my concern is being able to continue as a heavy equipment mechanic. much of the day is spent on concrete floors and climbing up and down machinery. does any body run after this injury?[/QUOTE]

Old 06-05-2011, 07:40 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon1k View Post
(anything barefoot is an awesome workout)Hope this helps.

Ch]
I miss going barefoot. Doesn't work well for me. Do it to much plantar pascitii seems to kick in. Not saying you can't but if you get it that may be why. Who knows may you will strengthen it.

I go barefoot to the bathroom and limited around the house. But I usually have something on in the house.

Closed Thread