It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
(male)

Go Gonzaga HB User
5 days out from flat foot surgery

Greetings fellow flat footer(s)

I had surgery for one of my flat feet last Wednesday, March 16th. I am sure it is the same as everyone else receives........wedging cadaver bone into 3 or 4 different parts of foot, slicing into achilles tendon to help lenthen it, cutting heal bone to reposition it, yada yada yada.

I am hurting, but pain meds have made it tolerable.

I am simply laying in bed with leg/foot propped up , watching March Madness on T.V. and chilling.

How soon is a realistic goal to be able to go back to work?

I work at a hospital as the heart transplant business manager........so it is a fairly sedentary job.

Just looking for estimates re. (timeframe to start feeling a bit better)......(timeframe to get back to work)

I am in no rush at all, as I have banked quite a few extended illness hours for such an event

Thanks!

Todd in cold (and still snowy) Spokane

Old 03-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

velvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB User
Re: 5 days out from flat foot surgery

I know someone here just went back to work after 2 weeks and they are a teacher. My job is all standing so that is out if the picture for me now. Best of luck and hope you feel better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

If your job is sedentary, you probably can go back after a couple of weeks. I work in a hospital as an RRT and due to the requirements of my job, I was out for four months. Good luck with the recovery.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
(male)

Go Gonzaga HB User

thanks guys! when is a realistic time frame that i will be able to wear "normal" shoes on my recently operated on foot? I know I go from soft cast, to hard cast to walking boot.

however, i have never heard a true timeframe of when my feet will get back to "ok" and i can wear shoes once again

thanks!

Old 03-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #5
(female)

rittie14 HB User

I had my flat foot reconsturctive surgery on March 1st and went back to work today (day 21) for 3 hours. I too have lots of leave time and sedentary job as a case manager. It was hard to keep my foot elevated there but was great to get back. After many years in the same great workplace, it is really hard to stay off work for 3 weeks. I am in pain this evening with swelling and burning in my foot. I am going to try again tomorrow as am hopeful that I will improve each day but may have to give in to more time at home if it gets worse. . I had to resort to the wheel chair to get in and out of the building but used my knee walker while there.
I am thankful to find this thread and compare comments from others. It really helps.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

I am 8 months post op. My job requires me to be on my feet a lot so I was out for 4 months. If I had a desk job, my doctor would have released me for work at about three months. I was able to start to wean into a shoe with an aso brace at about 14 weeks. When I returned to work, the doctor had me wear the boot for a few weeks just while at work to protect my foot. I am doing really well now. There is a light at the end of the tunnel

Old 03-22-2011, 12:39 AM   #7
(female)

FlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB UserFlatfootDiva HB User
Angry Re: 5 days out from flat foot surgery

I was unable to put my leg down for more than several minutes for about 4-5 weeks or sit with my leg at 90 degrees for more than a couple of hours after 5-7 weeks. Not until I got the cast off and into a boot was the foot very comfortable being down because when it swelled I could loosen the boot.

I have essentially a desk job. I worked from home after taking 3 weeks off, mostly lying down with a laptop until i was into a boot. I returned to the office when I was able to wear a sneaker. I was fully NWB for 9 weeks, in a boot PWB for another 5 nearly @ FWB when I put-on shoes at 14 weeks. I had a subtalar fusion not an osteotomy so my foot has not been very swollen and I was able to wear my pre-surgery sneakers as my first pair of shoes. Others on this board who had more swelling needed to wear a larger shoe at first.

Enjoy the games! I watched a lot of old movies and tv shows on the Ipad. Keep the foot elevated and ice a lot. It will feel better in the long run and is good for the healing of the incisions.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
(female)

foxy477 HB User

I had my surgery three weeks ago and a day (but who's counting!) I went back to work on Monday. Luckily, I work very part time so I wanted to give it a shot. I was beginning to feel antsy. Be careful, though. I fell off the knee-scooter on my first day back. Luckily, I was fine but it was a reminder that I have to be extra careful at work. I know now that I cannot move around at all. I come into the building and sit with my foot elevated almost the entire time that I am working (quite a challenge when you are a Middle School teacher!) My students have been sweet and helpful and I allow everyone and anyone to help me. I've learned very quickly not to be too proud! As soon as I get driven back home, I come straight back to the couch and elevate my foot high. I think I have found a good balance that works for me.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #9
(female)

rittie14 HB User

I also am back to work for 4 hours a day. I am a case manager and can also sit with my foot up but need to move to other spaces at times. Students and co-workers have been so helpful and supportive. The first 3 days my foot stung when I got home but today is much better. I had to take pain meds to sleep. The knee walker is tricky and I've almost fallen. I use a wheel chair to get in and out of the building as handicapped parking is far and I am on the 2nd floor. I hope tomorrow is better. I'm enjoying getting out and not being isolate. Good luck to the rest of you who are also trying to get back into work and life.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:48 PM   #10
(female)

lschulk HB User

This thread was really helpful. I have been using a wheel chair when I am out and about needing to go any distance. However, I hate using it so I haven't been out too much. I felt really ridiculous using the chair but I have plantar facitis in my "good" foot so walking on it for any lenght of time is really painful. I am only 37 and I feel like this must all be in my head. It seems like many of you have used a chair too. Is this common? P.S. I love the knee scooter but wiped out on it really bad 2 weeks post op. landed right on my surgical foot and moved the graft out of place a couple of milimeters.

The following user gives a hug of support to lschulk:
rittie14 (03-25-2011)
Old 03-24-2011, 06:24 PM   #11
(male)

Go Gonzaga HB User

I am 8 days post op.......all is going well. Pain is not really an issue.....I pop a pain med every 5-6 hours and all is well. Frankly, I thought it would hurt a lot more than it does.

The thing (by far!) that is most annoying is not being able to sit down and let my leg just hang there. You get about 10 seconds........then blood fills my toes and the pressure builds bad enough that I have to go back to recliner and put it up on pillows.....ughhh

Anyone want to chime in to let me know when I can start sitting down with my leg dangling ...........and it won't turn purple???

Thanks fellow flat footers,

Todd in Spokane, Washington

Old 03-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #12
(female)

foxy477 HB User

I'm over three weeks post-op and I still have to elevate my foot most of the day. When I am standing either on the crutches or knee-walker for more than five minutes, my daughter will look at my toes and exclaim, "Mommy, you have purple toes! Sit down!" It's very hard to not be able to put your leg down but I am getting used to my new reality.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:07 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

At 8 days post op, your foot should still be elevated all the time. It is way to soon to have your foot down. It takes quite a while before it stops turning color. It probably took a good month before my foot stopped turning purple. At 8 days having it down will contribute to more swelling

Old 03-25-2011, 12:49 PM   #14
(female)

rittie14 HB User

I have the same feeling, going to a store in a wheel chair is a different experience. It makes me have compassion for those who have to use a W/C full time. Sorry to hear about your "wipe out". I fell once to but had no damage, Its still better that hopping on the walker. I also fell off the crutches. I am not very coordinated but am getting better in pivoting on one foot. Take Care,

The Following User Says Thank You to rittie14 For This Useful Post:
lschulk (03-25-2011)
Closed Thread