It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)
 
Dancinboots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 451
Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User
Red face Loss of Fat Pad



Does anyone has any suggestions for something that may help with loss of fat pad in ball of foot? I'm not looking for implants. Perhaps some good foot padding or shoes that may have helped you. My pod tells me I have very little fat pad in my foot, and to not go barefoot. I think it's an aging thing, but it seems weird that the thinning of fat pad is only in the foot where I had neuroma surgery as well as multiple injections. I believe the injections may have contributed to it but the pod doesn't seem to think so.

Thanks

 
Old 03-22-2011, 08:04 AM   #2
Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: VA, USA
Posts: 61
killneuroma HB User
Re: Loss of Fat Pad

Hi,
I am sorry to hear that. I have feet problem also starting with heel pain and neuroma. I am wearing asics with spenco soft arch support. I had one cortisone and two alcohol injections between second and third toe for neuroma and two alcohol injections between third and fourth toe, I belive the podiatrist made mistakes. Well, I belive I have fat pad atrophy because I can not walk with barefoot at all. No orth doctors nor podiatrists say I have fat pad atrophy but say I have thin pad. Do you feel the bones when you walk or stand barefoot? Do you have fat pad between toes where you have done neuroma surgery?
Try spenco soft arch support. Good luck..

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 03-22-2011, 08:19 AM   #3
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 245
anotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB User
Re: Loss of Fat Pad

Hi,
I have zero fat pad - also from the injections and neuroma surgeries (from top of foot 2x in two spaces). One podiatrist I saw said he thinks the cortisone shots did it - and that they also caused the scar tissue. Anyways...he told me there is actually zero fat pad left. This is what I have done:

The problem for me is I need an orthotic - so by the time I have that in the shoe - and the padding I pick out, the shoe then often feels too tight which is not good. I'm thinking you probably have orthotics since you have had a neuroma. My physical therapist gets me an orthotic from Langer Lab that is rather soft - you can add various size layers of what they call PPT material. I get either 1/4 inch and use no padding on top OR 1/8 inch and then over that orthotic I stick some paddiing I bought on it. I prefer the 1/8" and to add my padding on the top. So, for the padding what I do is go to a local place that actually makes prosthetics (false limbs) for people - because they happen to have access to various materials that few others do. The material I usually get is blue and happens to be PPT material. I order the 1/16" size if they have it and also the 1/8" - they never seem to come in exactly how you order - but then I cut it out to go over my orthotic. There is also some white material that I have no idea what they call I ordered years ago. Then I got some red material - actually at a craft store! That is actually really great as padding - I have no idea what it is! If you do not wear orthotics you are in a better situation as there are tons of great pads out there online - Artic Comfort (white with a silver lining at bottom - woollike) - home health stores have great gel like pads and so forth. Hope this helps some. I hope your neuroma situation is okay- mine is the pits - they have to get it out again but from under the foot - I'm too afraid to have it done!

 
Old 03-22-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: VA, USA
Posts: 61
killneuroma HB User
Re: Loss of Fat Pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherpatty View Post
Hi,
I have zero fat pad - also from the injections and neuroma surgeries (from top of foot 2x in two spaces). One podiatrist I saw said he thinks the cortisone shots did it - and that they also caused the scar tissue. Anyways...he told me there is actually zero fat pad left. This is what I have done:

The problem for me is I need an orthotic - so by the time I have that in the shoe - and the padding I pick out, the shoe then often feels too tight which is not good. I'm thinking you probably have orthotics since you have had a neuroma. My physical therapist gets me an orthotic from Langer Lab that is rather soft - you can add various size layers of what they call PPT material. I get either 1/4 inch and use no padding on top OR 1/8 inch and then over that orthotic I stick some paddiing I bought on it. I prefer the 1/8" and to add my padding on the top. So, for the padding what I do is go to a local place that actually makes prosthetics (false limbs) for people - because they happen to have access to various materials that few others do. The material I usually get is blue and happens to be PPT material. I order the 1/16" size if they have it and also the 1/8" - they never seem to come in exactly how you order - but then I cut it out to go over my orthotic. There is also some white material that I have no idea what they call I ordered years ago. Then I got some red material - actually at a craft store! That is actually really great as padding - I have no idea what it is! If you do not wear orthotics you are in a better situation as there are tons of great pads out there online - Artic Comfort (white with a silver lining at bottom - woollike) - home health stores have great gel like pads and so forth. Hope this helps some. I hope your neuroma situation is okay- mine is the pits - they have to get it out again but from under the foot - I'm too afraid to have it done!
HI,
You said you have zero fat pad. Can you walk or stand with barefoot? Do you feel the bones (metatarsal heads) and have pain when you stand or walk barefoot? What is the pain like? How did you find out you have many scar tissue? Did you do MRI? So sorry for many question, I feel like I have fat pad atrophy but no doctors are saying I have fat pad atrophy. Thank you.

 
Old 03-22-2011, 09:11 AM   #5
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 245
anotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB User
Re: Loss of Fat Pad

I found out during my last neuroma surgery (from the top of the foot) - he actually has his instruments close to the bottom - after the surgery he said he almost went through the foot because it was like cellophane - so thin - and he said I literally had zero fat pad - he also saw all the scar tissue. I don't think they really know for sure - but I think that padding will really help you. If you do not have orthotics the artic comfort ones (wool like ) are fantastic - I just can't wear them for various reasons other than the fat pad. I do feel all the bones - but it's been like that for so long I sort of got used to it. I feel the metatarsals too. Another thing - if you dr. thinks it is ok - is sometimes "rocker shoes" help - thus shoes with rocker soles. Did they tuck the nerve of the neuroma into a muscle when they did the surgery? I wish they had done mine that way but they didn't and it came back.

 
The Following User Says Thank You to anotherpatty For This Useful Post:
killneuroma (03-22-2011)
Old 03-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #6
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 245
anotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB User
Re: Loss of Fat Pad

Oh I forgot to answer the barefoot part - yes I can walk barefoot - but I do feel it. Hardwood floors are awful and supermarket floors too.

 
The Following User Says Thank You to anotherpatty For This Useful Post:
killneuroma (03-22-2011)
Old 03-22-2011, 09:27 AM   #7
Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: VA, USA
Posts: 61
killneuroma HB User
Re: Loss of Fat Pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherpatty View Post
Oh I forgot to answer the barefoot part - yes I can walk barefoot - but I do feel it. Hardwood floors are awful and supermarket floors too.
I did not have surgery. I do not want. It could cause more trouble than now. I hope I could do better with barefoot than I don't think I need to have surgery. I can not even take shower without pain, like bone pain. First 2 - 3 seconds is fine, than the pain comes it is not neurve pain, but the bones hurts so much.

Sorry for asking question. What is the pain like if you walk with barefoot? Do you think it is bone pain or nerve pain? I am trying to find what's wrong with my feet other than neuroma. Thank you.

 
Old 03-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 245
anotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB User
Re: Loss of Fat Pad

HI - I realized after I wrote you probably did not have surgery prior to the shots etc - sorry about that. I don't mind you asking me at all - I know what it's like to wonder what is going on. I would ask your dr. about an MRI perhaps. When I walk barefoot it's like my bones are on the floor -but mine is really more of a feeling like a bunch of junk in my foot pulling and tugging at my feet and toes. I can't stand in the shower more than 10 seconds - but not due to what you describe. Yours sounds different to me...hmm.I'm surprised they didn't take an MRI. The feet MRI was not difficult as you do not go all the way into the machine - mostly just your leg.Did they check out if it's bursitis - or some inflammation at the joints? I'm not a dr. - just tossing ideas around.Could you have a stress fracture? In my opinion, I think you are very smart not to get the surgery. For myself - I learned if only the 1st surgeon - who does it from the top - tucked it into a muscle - I would probably have been okay. If they do not put it in the muscle it will regrow. Sometimes it will be fine for a long time for people - but others like myself it will grow a stump neuroma and become worse than the original problem. I was great for 4 years and then a neuroma came back and the scar tissue got worse. Now I am a mess. Anyways....I really hope someone can help you out with the bone pain. Have you checked with a rheumatologist - for gout, arthritis? Like I said, I am not a dr. so I'm just thinking of things I've heard others say when they had some type of bone pain. Feel free to ask anything else.

 
Old 03-23-2011, 05:31 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)
 
Dancinboots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 451
Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User
Re: Loss of Fat Pad

Hi

I ended up getting a pair of Brooks Adrenaline gts11 running shoes My pod had recommended either Brooks or Asics. I chose the Brooks because they are considered running stability. They are very comfortable. They offer the most support and cushioning which is what I need. (NO I do not run) I also wear custom orthotics that the pod put a felt metatarsal pad right on the top of the orthotics behind the ball of my foot. It seems to take the pressure off a bit.

He also gave me a prescription for volatren gel to rub on bothersome area 4 times a day. I'll see if that helps. It's supposed to relieve pain and discomfort. Do a search and you will find out alot about it. Also do a search for volatren gel reviews. Unfortunaley I think my loss of fat pad and other complications from surgery is what it is so I am trying to mask the feeling the best I can. I know for sure I would not suggest foot surgery to anyone, even though some have came through with flying colors. I can only respond to my own personal experience and it has not been good.

Sharon

Last edited by Dancinboots; 03-23-2011 at 05:38 AM.

 
Old 03-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #10
Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: VA, USA
Posts: 61
killneuroma HB User
Re: Loss of Fat Pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherpatty View Post
HI - I realized after I wrote you probably did not have surgery prior to the shots etc - sorry about that. I don't mind you asking me at all - I know what it's like to wonder what is going on. I would ask your dr. about an MRI perhaps. When I walk barefoot it's like my bones are on the floor -but mine is really more of a feeling like a bunch of junk in my foot pulling and tugging at my feet and toes. I can't stand in the shower more than 10 seconds - but not due to what you describe. Yours sounds different to me...hmm.I'm surprised they didn't take an MRI. The feet MRI was not difficult as you do not go all the way into the machine - mostly just your leg.Did they check out if it's bursitis - or some inflammation at the joints? I'm not a dr. - just tossing ideas around.Could you have a stress fracture? In my opinion, I think you are very smart not to get the surgery. For myself - I learned if only the 1st surgeon - who does it from the top - tucked it into a muscle - I would probably have been okay. If they do not put it in the muscle it will regrow. Sometimes it will be fine for a long time for people - but others like myself it will grow a stump neuroma and become worse than the original problem. I was great for 4 years and then a neuroma came back and the scar tissue got worse. Now I am a mess. Anyways....I really hope someone can help you out with the bone pain. Have you checked with a rheumatologist - for gout, arthritis? Like I said, I am not a dr. so I'm just thinking of things I've heard others say when they had some type of bone pain. Feel free to ask anything else.

Hi,
I am so frustrated, if I knew what is wrong with my feet, I would try to adjust my life. I took MRI October 1, 2010. It was fine except neuroma. Even the size of neuroma is small that should not causing lot of pain but I am a lot of pain, can not walk or stand barefoot at all. Recent X-ray, no problem, I ask new MRI for last couple of podiatrist, they all say last MRI looks fine, do not need new MRI. Only thing I can think of my pain (symptoms) is from fat pad atrophy from those injections second and third interspaced, but no doctors or podiatrists say it is fat pad atrophy because one contisone or multiple alcohol injections would not cause fat pad atrophy.

How many cortisone and alcohol injections did you have? would mine if I ask?
Are you going to have Radiofrequency ablation? or cryosurgery?
I will ask my podiatrist more about it again and new MRI.
Thank you for listening and answering question.

 
Old 03-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #11
Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: VA, USA
Posts: 61
killneuroma HB User
Re: Loss of Fat Pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancinboots View Post
Hi

I ended up getting a pair of Brooks Adrenaline gts11 running shoes My pod had recommended either Brooks or Asics. I chose the Brooks because they are considered running stability. They are very comfortable. They offer the most support and cushioning which is what I need. (NO I do not run) I also wear custom orthotics that the pod put a felt metatarsal pad right on the top of the orthotics behind the ball of my foot. It seems to take the pressure off a bit.

He also gave me a prescription for volatren gel to rub on bothersome area 4 times a day. I'll see if that helps. It's supposed to relieve pain and discomfort. Do a search and you will find out alot about it. Also do a search for volatren gel reviews. Unfortunaley I think my loss of fat pad and other complications from surgery is what it is so I am trying to mask the feeling the best I can. I know for sure I would not suggest foot surgery to anyone, even though some have came through with flying colors. I can only respond to my own personal experience and it has not been good.

Sharon
Hi,
volatren gel would help some pain but side effects are so scary, well all the medicine have side effect and risks.
You believe that you have fat pad atrophy. Does any orth doctors or podiatrists diagnosed it? Do you feel the metatarsal heads when you stand and walk with barefoot? What is the pain like, nerve pain, bone pain? How many cortisone or alcohol injections did you have? I am trying to diagnose my self.
Sorry for asking many question.

 
Old 03-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 397
michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User
Re: Loss of Fat Pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by killneuroma View Post
Hi,
volatren gel would help some pain but side effects are so scary, well all the medicine have side effect and risks.
What are the side effects of Voltaren you're referring to? It's much less if any than taking anti-inflammatories by mouth. I've been using prescription (8%) diclofenac (Voltaren) for 2 months now, and no side effects. I can't take oral anti-inflammatories for very long b/c of stomach issues (even the coated ones like Arthrotec).

 
Old 03-23-2011, 10:37 AM   #13
Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: VA, USA
Posts: 61
killneuroma HB User
Re: Loss of Fat Pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by michlei View Post
What are the side effects of Voltaren you're referring to? It's much less if any than taking anti-inflammatories by mouth. I've been using prescription (8%) diclofenac (Voltaren) for 2 months now, and no side effects. I can't take oral anti-inflammatories for very long b/c of stomach issues (even the coated ones like Arthrotec).
Hi,
These are the side effects that I found online, but it doesn't mean these things would happen to everyone.

Voltaren Gel is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). As such, it can cause serious side effects that you should report to your healthcare provider. These include, but are not limited to:

•Heart attack symptoms, such as:

◦Chest pain
◦Shortness of breath or other breathing difficulties
◦Pain in the shoulder, arm, or jaw

•Worsening of asthma
•High blood pressure (hypertension)
•Stroke symptoms, such as:

◦Slurred speech
◦Weakness on one side of the face or body
◦Confusion

•Signs of bleeding of the digestive tract such as dark, tarry stools or bloody vomit
•Signs of liver problems, such as yellowing of the whites of the eyes or skin (jaundice)
•Rapid weight gain, water retention, or unusual swelling of the arms, legs, hands, or feet
•Signs of an allergic reaction, including:

◦An unexplained rash
◦Hives
◦Itching
◦Unexplained swelling of the mouth or throat
◦Wheezing or difficulty breathing or swallowing.

 
Old 03-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 397
michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User
Re: Loss of Fat Pad

According to my doctor, you'd have to be spreading it over most of your body to get those side effects.

 
Old 03-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #15
Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: VA, USA
Posts: 61
killneuroma HB User
Re: Loss of Fat Pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by michlei View Post
According to my doctor, you'd have to be spreading it over most of your body to get those side effects.

Hi,
I am saying these side effects would not happen to everyone. I am using gel now. As I said before, all medications have side effects. I am just saying those symptoms look like scary.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
I need help please, I am at a loss and so is my Dr woods5 Foot & Ankle Problems 17 01-15-2009 01:11 PM
real vs. fake orthotics for Hallux Limitus stage 2 and 3? Former_Dancer Foot & Ankle Problems 19 11-29-2008 11:07 AM
articular cartilage loss in the tibial talus joint holydiver Foot & Ankle Problems 1 05-06-2007 02:42 PM
permanant loss after subtalar fusion grumpyme Foot & Ankle Problems 6 04-12-2007 05:46 PM
Loss of sensation on left side of left foot joebloggs2 Foot & Ankle Problems 0 07-04-2006 01:02 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



roxygirl1 (187), Zerk (137), Titchou (135), Hollywood48 (121), Missyluke (121), ginger62 (100), LadyKanner (97), LisaBdot (83), AdkLizard46 (55), janewhite1 (52)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1013), Apollo123 (909), Titchou (856), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (763), ladybud (755), midwest1 (670), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:16 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.com™ All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!