It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2011, 06:19 AM   #1
(female)

polly54 HB User
Smile minimally invasive keyhole bunion surgery on both feet

Hi I had minimally invasive bunion surgery on both feet 4 days ago and would love to share my experience with others who are perhaps due to have the same procedure or learn from others who have had this new type of foot surgery at some time in the past. In particular i am concerned about rates of recovery to full mobility especially after reading some of the messages here on related threads with people still suffering pain and swellings a year+ on.
If there is any interest i will write further as i feel that so far (touch wood) my experience has been remarkably straightforward. I hope to have dressings off in 5 days and move to soft shoes but I suppose all of this will depend on what we find when my new feet are revealed.
Anyway do get back to me with your situation and experiences as I would love to talk with you.

The Following User Says Thank You to polly54 For This Useful Post:
irena (09-07-2011)
Old 06-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
(female)

kkh HB User
Re: minimally invasive keyhole bunion surgery on both feet

Hi Polly,

Who did your surgery? I live in the US and wonder if I can get that done here. How are you doing now?

Thanks!

Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
(female)

polly54 HB User

Hi Karen, Good to hear from you.
My surgeon was Mr Adam Budgen, York Foot and Ankle Clinic, Bluebeck Drive, Shipton Road, York, UK YO30 5RA tel; 01904 464550.
I had both feet done at the same time and now at 11 weeks post op I feel that I am almost fully recovered. I am without pain and the swelling towards the end of the day is barely noticeable now. I am walking good distances, driving and riding again -no problems or persistant pain as before. Summertime used to be a nightmare.
I can feel the pins and screws under the skin but they don't hurt at all. I suppose there is still slight incline with my big toe, but have gone from an EEE width fitting shoe to a D. I am still choosing to wear roomy shoes tho'- probably out of habit and a sense of not wanting to abuse my lovely new feet.
So all in all I can thoroughly recommend this method of surgery. The recovery rate is much quicker whilst the risk of infection and DVT is much lower. I am sure that it must be available in the States but as far as I am aware it is very new here and is being pioneered at only a few clinics in the UK. I have agreed to keep in touch with Mr Budgen as he is hoping to track progress over time and as yet there has only been around 600? cases in UK- I think.
I hope you will be able to track down the procedure in the US and feel sure that if you do manage to get it you will do fine and have no regrets. I am still revelling being able to walk for miles and not to have to consider my feet every day. Simple pleasures.

Good luck and let me know how you do. x

Old 09-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
(female)

drakey1 HB User

Good to hear.

I have elected to do this keyhole surgery on both feet.

I have the option of Toronto or Vancouver in Canada. I am in Calgary, does anyone have any info on upcoming podiatrists doing this surgery in Calgary, Canada?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Old 09-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #5
(female)

irena HB User

Hello polly54, what a coincidence, we are six thousand miles away, and both Yorkshire lasses, and I was on the sight looking for information on minimally invasive surgery, and up you came. I am in the process of making arrangements for surgery on a bunion/hammertoe. Frightening the whole blooming business, after reading some peoples experiances after surgery, I am ready to back out, so I would love to hear of your outcome from your surgery before I go further. Trust to hear from you, before i make a decision.

TTFN ;o)

Old 09-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
(female)

irena HB User

Hi,
I live in Seattle and dont know of anyone so far that is doing this surgery, so could you please send the info of where in Vancouver this is being used, and being only 2 1/2 hrs away would be closer than the lovely City of York, UK where Polly had her surgery. Any info would be much appreciated, as I am on calendar for the 30th September for the operation. But after reading all of the pain and misery connected with it, I am ready to cancel, and all of that I could cope with, if the end result was what i expected, which doesn't seem to be in all cases, and in some, was worse after, than it was before.
Thank-you for any help.
Sincerely Ena.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #7
(female)

polly54 HB User

Hi Irena, good to hear from you and pleased to help.
I am now nearly 6 months post surgery and everything is well healed and working well. I do have some stiffness and occasional pain in the right fore foot, especially if I do too much in other than roomy trainers but as this was my worst foot and I couldnt bear to put any weight on it a year ago, i am well pleased with the result.
My feet are still broad but barely bent and for the first time ever I feel confident to do a pilates class in bare feet and I can now go on tiptoes for the first time in years.
I can honestly say that the entire procedure and after-care has been amazing. The surgery was under general anaesthetic and was like a very brief but refreshing sleep. I came out of surgery after about an hour, feet bandaged but with next to no blood and absolutely no pain. I took pain killers for a day or so as i was expecting something to kick in but it never did. I rested for an hour or so post- surgery then soon tottering about in non-weght bearing velcro sandals. I was discharged later the same day then as instructed kept my feet up for 10 days or so, before dressings came off and wounds, about 6 x 1cm cuts on each foot, had fully healed. I could then shower and start to do a bit more in soft shoes. I have steadily progressed over the last few months and only experience minimal pain in worst foot, occasional stiffness/pins and needls and swelling if i really push it. Generally i am fine.
I am due to return to the York clinic early next year and am likely to be discharged after this appointment.
I have absolutely no regrets about getting my feet fixed-I only wish i had got on with it sooner. I think i had been put off by my mother's experience of conventional surgery and legs in pots for months. I hadn't heard of minimally invasive techniques for bunions and hammertoes until i went to York. There does seem to be quite a bit of info online nowadays.
I suppose you need to weigh up how much pain and limitation your feet cause as i really was becoming quite disabled and could barely find shoes that didn't hurt. My feet are far from perfect, but to me they are fantastic and I love not having to think about them all the time.

I hope you make the decision that is right for you but if you do need surgery i can thoroughly recommend minimally-invasive.

Best of luck x

The following user gives a hug of support to polly54:
irena (09-28-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to polly54 For This Useful Post:
irena (09-09-2011)
Old 09-28-2011, 08:42 PM   #8
(female)

irena HB User

Hello Drakey1,
i have been thinking about you and your surgery , did you have it yet, and if so, how are you doing? I am interested to hear if you had the non invasive surgery you were looking for.You did say in your post that you knew someone in Vancouver, could you please tell me his name, as I live in Seattle and that is the closest I can find to anyone doing this type surgery, unless someone out there knows of someone here. Please let us know how you are doing. Take care for now...........Irena.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #9
(female)

irena HB User

Hi Polly,
Thank-you for your reply and hope you are still doing well with your recovery, I am still trying to find someone here in Seattle that does the procedure you had, but so far no luck, and the surgeons I have been to for a consultations differ in their advice, one I had a surgery appt' for the Sept 30th, who was going to shave the bunion down and take care of the hammertoe at the same time. The other advice I received was to live with it, and not have surgery at all on account of age. I have cancelled my surgery date in hopes of finding someone that does the non invasive....Trust that things are going wonderfuly well for you after reading how many are still in misery from this surgery. Keep well and all the best.
Cheers.

Ena )

The following user gives a hug of support to irena:
polly54 (09-30-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to irena For This Useful Post:
polly54 (09-30-2011)
Old 09-29-2011, 10:31 AM   #10
(male)

j9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB User

I hope everyone is doing well with this procedure. To give you some background, it is not a new procedure. There are hundreds of physicians in the United States that perform this procedure. Some people may find it hard to find a physician that does this surger, but it is not because it is an advanced, specialized procedure.

The reason many physicians do not perform the procedure is because it has a much higher failure rate than the typical bunion surgery. Many times, quick fixes are not the best fixes. I know many physicians at top hospitals across the country that used to perform this surgery, but stopped because of increased incidence of stress fracture and return of bunion deformity.

Ask your physician about it, their answer may not be "I am not trained in doing that procedure" but most likely will be "I used that procedure and stopped because I wasn't getting good results". My goal of this post isn't to scare people away from having it done, but to inform you that it isn't necessarily a miracle procedure.

The Following User Says Thank You to j9879 For This Useful Post:
irena (10-03-2011)
Old 10-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #11
(female)

irena HB User

Thank-you for the information, doesn't look too promising does it, is there a name for this procedure so that I can call around,maybe they are having better success as no one replied to my post to say they knew of anyone here. i was hoping that Drakey 1 would reply to the chap she knew in Vancouver, and if she ad her surgery, but haven't heard......Irena )

Old 10-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #12
(female)

Nicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB UserNicole K HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by irena View Post
Thank-you for the information, doesn't look too promising does it, is there a name for this procedure so that I can call around,maybe they are having better success as no one replied to my post to say they knew of anyone here. i was hoping that Drakey 1 would reply to the chap she knew in Vancouver, and if she ad her surgery, but haven't heard......Irena )
As far as I know the procedure is called 'Minimal Incision Bunion Surgery'. That's what they called it when I had it done 21 yrs ago in Toronto.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #13
(male)

j9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB Userj9879 HB User

The "button hole procedure" you are referring to is also called a "tight rope procedure". The most common technique is using the tight rope by Arthrex. It involves tightening the 1st metatarsal to the 2nd metatarsal and thus decreasing the bunion deformity.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #14
(female)

polly54 HB User

Hi Irena,
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00140

I had arthodesis- information in the above link.
Not sure how helpful this will be but good luck.

polly

Old 11-20-2011, 08:56 PM   #15
(female)

drakey1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly54 View Post
Hi I had minimally invasive bunion surgery on both feet 4 days ago and would love to share my experience with others who are perhaps due to have the same procedure or learn from others who have had this new type of foot surgery at some time in the past. In particular i am concerned about rates of recovery to full mobility especially after reading some of the messages here on related threads with people still suffering pain and swellings a year+ on.
If there is any interest i will write further as i feel that so far (touch wood) my experience has been remarkably straightforward. I hope to have dressings off in 5 days and move to soft shoes but I suppose all of this will depend on what we find when my new feet are revealed.
Anyway do get back to me with your situation and experiences as I would love to talk with you.
yes please, keep writing. I am in Calgary, Alberta Canada and they dont do the minimally invasive surgery here, they do do it in TOronto, Ontario but i would have to get a hotel. The podiatrist here says i should go with the older surygery and would thereofore need two separate surgeries and separate recoveries! which is what i would like to avoid. the surgeon in Toronto does the first foot and then the second foot a week later....and recovery is 7 to 8 weeks.

any advice would be welcome

take care

Closed Thread