It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
(female)

lubOliver HB User
Unhappy 2 Weeks Since Bunion Surgery and Foot is on FIRE!!

Hello,

Two weeks ago I had bunion and bunionette surgery on right foot. My foot is constantly on fire and I keep getting cramping near the incision of the bunionette. My Doctor said to keep my foot elevated and it should go away over time. I was also told that most of his patients were walking "comfortably" in their boot after 6 days. I cannot walk on my foot. The pain is too much!!

How long did it take for the burning, fire, cramping to stop?

Oh yes, and when will I be able to feel my foot again? it is soooo numb. Feels like my foot fell asleep.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
(female)

jpsumner HB User
Re: 2 Weeks Since Bunion Surgery and Foot is on FIRE!!

Icing around your ankle and keeping your foot elevated is VERY IMPORTANT within the first 4 weeks after surgery. I was not able to feel completely comfortable on my foot until several weeks out once the surgery site started to heal. You're body has been through a traumatic event and it is going to take some time to recover. Please do as your doctor says and keep your foot elevated. Try to walk on it minimally and you can ice it while it's elevated.

My foot was numb for a while after surgery - maybe 6-8 weeks and the toe joint was pretty numb until about 12 weeks post op.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2011, 12:34 PM   #3
(female)

lubOliver HB User

Jpsumner...

Thank you for your response. I have been doing a great job with the elevation and ice and noticed that the swelling has gone down considerably. I have finally been able to put a little bit of weight on it the last two days too. Like you said, I still don't feel comfortable with my foot, but I am hoping soon I will. Also, how long until you went back to work?

Old 04-05-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
(female)

dp246 HB User

Hi Lub -

I also had bunion and bunionette surgery on my right foot, as well as a hammertoe fixed and tendons loosened on the other 2 toes to straighten them. In short, I had all 5 toes worked on. Surgery was on 3/17. I have to say, I have only had pain for 3 days, numbness for about 5 days afterwards, was walking a bit in a boot 10 days later, and now, about 2.5 weeks later, back at work and walking pretty comfy in the boot (w/o any adverse effects when I get back home, like swelling or pain). I think it all depends on age, health, severity of the deformities and most of all, the surgical technique (I had the Chevron osteotomy on the bunions). My issues were mild, so I'm sure that helped me get back on my feet quicker. I am not 100% though, foot still swollen a tad.

Also, during the first 2 weeks, I did very little walking and lots of icing, which I think helped.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Old 04-10-2011, 09:40 PM   #5
(female)

lubOliver HB User

dp246-

wow, you have complete feeling in your foot? I'm 27, healthy, very active and going stir crazy because I am still limping around. It's been 4 weeks and a few days since the surgery and I am just now starting to feel comfortable walking around in normal shoes. I did develop some major nerve damage that was taken care of by applying nerve blocking cream. I have my left foot to do on May 20th so I am hoping that I can use everything I learned this time around for a fast and speedy recovery on my next foot.

Good luck on your recovery, sounds like everything is going just wonderful for you and I think more people need to spread their success stories because so many of this boards are all negative and not a lot of positive reviews/stories. This is another reason why I waited so long because I was scared to death I was going to have a horrible experience.

Last edited by lubOliver; 04-10-2011 at 09:42 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
bunion, foot, numbness, swelling