It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011, 02:52 AM   #1
(female)

fluffybichon HB User
help ankle op pending

Hi everyone,

calcaneal osteotomy + Fdl transfer + spring ligarment repair.

I need to find some buddies who are about to or have gone through the same
op as I am soon going to face . to be honest it scares me witless.

So some reassurance would be gratfully accepted.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Re: help ankle op pending

I am 8 months post op ptt and spring ligament repair, tendon transfer, calcaneal and cotton osteotomy and achillese tendon lengthening. The recovery is a long and tough one. After about 10 days, the pain was not that much of an issue but being so relient on others and being NWB for 8 weeks was difficult. My surgery was the end of July and I returned to work the beginning of December. My job requires me to be very mobile which was why I was out that long. Now, I am feeling good and can absolutely say that having the surgery was a good thing. Be sure that you fully check out your surgeon. Make sure that he/she has done several of these proceedures with a good track record. If you haven't already, I would strongly suggest that you have more than one opinion

Good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to roxygirl1 For This Useful Post:
fluffybichon (03-28-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2011, 01:16 AM   #3
(female)

fluffybichon HB User

Hello again roxygirl1,

thanks for yor reply, just thought I would fill you in with the gory details, I am going to have my heel bone cut and realined then have the medial ligament repaired also my surgeon is going to transfer the tendon from my big toe to make a new one to lift the arch of my foot.

that will teach me to watch where I am going, it was all down to a dam kerb stone on a pavement ( sidewalk ) I went to step up and my foot slipped off causing a sprain, went to the ER for x-ray told it was just a sprain and sent home March 2009 got sent for physio X2 didn't help still in pain then given acupuncure x2 in more pain than before,sent for an MRI December 2010 told I had torn the postieror medial ligarment and that I should have a steroid injection in to the ankle under ultasound, doc said when doing it that it was like injecting in to a lump of concrete.
on my next visit I was offerd the same proceedure but I refused, I was then refered over to a consultant in trauma of lower limbs in March this year who quite frankly was not impressed with the two yrs of pain and messing about cuasing me the major problems that I am know facing.

So I am off to get my date next Monday and then the reality will really hit home.

It is good to be able to talk about it, I will keep you posted.

Thanks.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

There are many of us who have been through this op. and will be here to support you. I am 7 mths. post op calcaneal osteotomy, kidner procedure, achielles tendon lengthening, fdl tendon transfer, and ptt repair. Roxy is right. The recovery is long and at times difficult. I do not think I really understood this prior to having surgery. After a year of really awful pain prior to surgery, I agree the surgery is well worth it in the end. I really recommend reading the thread tips for coping while non-weight bearing. There is a wealth of information there on preparing for surgery and what to have before surgery. good luck

Old 04-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
(female)

fluffybichon HB User

Hi Missyluke,
thanks for the reply I have checked out the thread with all the hints and tips on, I found it very informative, it seems that I wil have a lot of prep to do before my surgery, better to be ready. I will keep you posted.

Closed Thread