HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Foot & Ankle Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/)
-   -   question about bunion surgery recovery (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/843095-question-about-bunion-surgery-recovery.html)

cards5fan 04-03-2011 12:41 PM

question about bunion surgery recovery

I'm having bunion surgery on weds. Our washer and drier are downstairs in our basement. Since i will be on crutches for 6 weeks my sister or our friend cassie will be doing my laundry for me. My sister is having shoulder surgery on june 17th, i will be 10 weeks 2 days post-op when she has her surgery. How many weeks post-op were you when you felt comforable going up and down stairs?

jpsumner 04-04-2011 06:18 AM

Re: question about bunion surgery recovery

Wearing the walking boot, I felt comfortable doing a flight of stairs at 4 weeks post-op. I had an austin bunionectomy and was able to walk in my boot almost directly after the procedure. I only needed crutches for the first few days following surgery.

undecidedbunion 04-05-2011 08:56 AM

[QUOTE=cards5fan;4722217]I'm having bunion surgery on weds. Our washer and drier are downstairs in our basement. Since i will be on crutches for 6 weeks my sister or our friend cassie will be doing my laundry for me. My sister is having shoulder surgery on june 17th, i will be 10 weeks 2 days post-op when she has her surgery. How many weeks post-op were you when you felt comforable going up and down stairs?[/QUOTE]

Hi, I have stairs and went up and down on my butt until I was free to walk on my foot. So I guess I would say I started walking up and down at about 4 to 5 weeks after recovery. But I could have heel walked them after two weeks, I just found it easier and safer to wait. I would throw the clothes down the stairs and go down after them on my butt.

cards5fan 04-05-2011 01:06 PM

thank you both for the replys

dp246 04-05-2011 05:07 PM

I had a bunion (Chevron w/osteotomy), bunionette and hammertoe done, and I went downstairs to do laundry about 10 days later with no ill effects....I probably should have waited 2 weeks though. That's where I am now, the 2 week mark, and am walking in the boot to work, with stairs being no trouble.

cards5fan 04-05-2011 06:20 PM

my doctor didn't tell me what kind of bunion i have. the only toe involed is the big toe. he told me he is going to break the toe, straigten it, and put a screw in. I have to wear either a cam walker or he is putting me in a cast. he wasn't sure when i saw him for my pre-op. he told me i need to be competely non weight bearing (hopping along on the crutches only using my right foot) for at least 2 weeks and then if i need to i can put weight on my heel but he would like me to be as non weight bearing as much as possible for 6 weeks total. he hasn't said what happens after that. thanks again for the replys

dp246 04-05-2011 06:58 PM

Ok, sounds about like what I had done to the big toe bunion - I have 2 screws in there, plus another 2 on the pinky toe (where the bunionette was located). The bunionette area is actually more painful than the main bunion. I was also given a 6 week recovery, and have been in a boot thus far, and likely will for another 10 days or so, making 4 weeks. This stuff is all case by case though....everyone's experience is SOOO different!

I've upped my calcium and protein intake, as well as take a multivitamin, which I believe is helping me along the way.