It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
(female)

deborahrgoldman HB User
walking after a calcaneus fracture

Hi everyone,

I am a little frustrated with everything.

I fractured my left calcaneus on Dec 23rd of 2010, had surgery on Jan 4th. I had screws and plates but in my heel. Got the walking cast on March 2nd and started physical therepy on March 7th. So in total I was none weight bearing for about 10 weeks.

Physical therepy has been going ok. Going to therepy 3x a week excet for the first week which was only 2x. I have been doing my excercies 2x a day.

Well anyway.... I am still having problems walking. Was able to walk with one crutch for a couple of days but had to stop because my foot was hurting to much. Unfortunately, I have the habit and stil do when walkin with one crutch to lean on my right, which is starting to mess up that leg. I am getting frusterated because I want to be able to walk already and go back to work. It also feel like it is taking longer fo me to be able to walk again then it is for others.

How long does it usually take for people to be able to walk after this type of surgery? What has been people's experience with this?

Thank you for any insight.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
(male)

flint1951 HB User
Re: walking after a calcaneus fracture

hi Deborah ! I had a comminuted fracture on my left calcaneous in 1984 but I dont remember my recovery anymore.I think something is not ok with your recovery.You should not have pains now.Maybe you are walking too much, or putting weight on your feet.Ask your doctor. I hope you will get better soon.Bye

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

It is a long recovery for this injury. 12-18 months, but you will be doing stuff before that. This injury varies alot from the extent of the injury, your recovery and how the surgery went.

Instead of crutches, try a walker it is more stable.

For there was overlap. I still used wheel chair for a couple weeks, after using walker. Then just walker, then walker and cane.

Pain is one of those things its hard to gauge. You shouldn't be pushing if it is to bad, but some people just can't handle pain, and for this you have to, if you want to progress. For me, I just knew when it was time to sit for the day and have drink.

I would not say pain is unusual at your point. I still have pain, when I do alot. Another thing that varies is what you consider active.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zerk For This Useful Post:
deborahrgoldman (04-12-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
(female)

suga1013 HB User

Hi everyone..feels better knowing this is more common than I thought. I got in a car accident Dec 17th.. a lady hit me coming out of no where and I lost control and hit a tree. I found out I had fractured my calcaneus pretty bad. I had to wait a while for the swelling to go down and had surgery on Jan 20th. They put a metal plate in with some screws. Haven't put weight on since the accident. I am going to the doctor the 19th of April this month to see how it's healed and hopefully going to start to put weight on it. I'm anxious as to what it will feel like, since it has been so long since I have walked. I just hate not knowing what it's going to be like...it's been so long since I have been able to walk Ready to leave the crutches behind! Also I was working as a hairstylist and I am afraid I will not be able to stand for long periods of time again. Good luck to you all.

The following user gives a hug of support to suga1013:
flint1951 (04-12-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
(female)

deborahrgoldman HB User

Feel better soon!

The Following User Says Thank You to deborahrgoldman For This Useful Post:
suga1013 (04-12-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Suga, standing for long times is hard. Try a rubber mat. They use them in garages and other places with concrete floors. Also good socks. I wear wool hiking socks.

This accident happens mostly from falling off ladders and car accidents. Occasional rock climber, but hey they brought it on the them self.

I was hit dead on in my car, when a girl crossed the center line.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:46 AM   #7
(female)

newcalcgal HB Usernewcalcgal HB User

Hi Deborah (and Suga)

Sorry to hear of your accidents!! I am one of those that "brought it on them self"...10 foot fall off a ropes course while camping with my girlscouts (certainly didn't think THAT would happen!!). I hate that this happened (shattered my right heel with severe displacement), but if my fall helped the scouts review the safety of their course, it was worth it....I'm just glad it was me and not one of the kids! But how this happened doesnt lesson how difficutly this recovery can be or how hard I am working to have a meaningful recovery.

I am now a little over five months post-op. (Fell Oct 16, surgical repair Nov 3, cleared for WB Jan 27). I've been in PT three x's a week since February, plus doing the exercises twice a day at home. Hard work in PT is definitely necessary. Just last week I was able to move from one crutch to a cane. You will get there....just keep working! Your PT person should be able to answer any questions you may have about your progress. Ask him to check your gait with the one crutch.....anything that throws your gait off has a negative affect on other parts of your body, I was having new back and knee problems until I was able to walk properly with the one crutch. Until I had a good gait with one crutch, the PT guy insisted I stick with two, and he was right! I have found myself very frustrated at times at my perceived lack of progress, then I will suddenly make several pretty big gains. Just hang in there and keep doing everything you're supposed to.

Don't forget to search these boards...they are full of great information and nice people! I have been so thankful to have found this place!

Jen

The following user gives a hug of support to newcalcgal:
suga1013 (04-13-2011)
Old 04-13-2011, 07:29 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcalcgal View Post
Hi Deborah (and Suga)

I am one of those that "brought it on them self
but if my fall helped the scouts review the safety of their course, it was worth it......anything that throws your gait off has a negative affect on other parts of your body, Jen
Was just kidding about bringing it on yourself. You do have to find something positive about this. Which is why I stay on here. Plus I had a seatbelt on and lived, and teeange girl did not. So I tell people that. I know someone I work with told his 16 year old daughter that. So who knows, maybe someone will get saved.

My pt did worry about throwing othet things off, like knees and hips. The docs just look at the big picture, your up and walking.

Its the PT that really spends the time with you, going over the details.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:30 AM   #9
(female)

deborahrgoldman HB User

Thanks Newcalgal for the info.

I just tried using the cane today and it is easier then using the one crutch for me. Just tried it for the first time a few minutes ago so let's see how I do with it.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:34 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

The cane is funny at first, but once you get your rhythm it is easy. You should have your PT help you with the height.

Cane goes on good side, but follows the bad foot. Being that when you put the bad foot forward, you put weight on the good side.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:40 AM   #11
(female)

deborahrgoldman HB User

Zerk,

Thanks for the tips. Yeah getting the right height is tricky, I keep on chaging it back and forth btween two different heights hopefully I got it riht this time. The PT will help me with the cane on Friday. I am just trying it out today.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:41 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

If I rememebr right you want your hand almost extend down. If its to high you will bend your elbow, putting stress on it. I think.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:28 PM   #13
(female)

suga1013 HB User

Sorry about your accident newcalcgal Sounds like you are progressing a lot though. Good luck! It seems like forever sometimes during the healing process! I should start putting weight on when I go to the docs on Tuesday after no weight bearing for almost 4 months..getting nervous..but trying to stay positive!

The Following User Says Thank You to suga1013 For This Useful Post:
newcalcgal (04-13-2011)
Old 04-13-2011, 06:32 PM   #14
(female)

newcalcgal HB Usernewcalcgal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
Was just kidding about bringing it on yourself. You do have to find something positive about this. Which is why I stay on here. Plus I had a seatbelt on and lived, and teeange girl did not. So I tell people that. I know someone I work with told his 16 year old daughter that. So who knows, maybe someone will get saved.

My pt did worry about throwing othet things off, like knees and hips. The docs just look at the big picture, your up and walking.

Its the PT that really spends the time with you, going over the details.
Hi Zerk.....I knew you were kidding and took no offense! :-) I like your dry sense of humor. I was just making light of this situation. I'm with you, I've got to find the positive in this and keep going. People seem amazed that I'm so upbeat about this, even while struggling in pt...that bugs me....I mean, what else am I gonna do? Give up, lay around,and let my family fall apart?? I don't think so. Just got to keep moving forward.

I am very glad you stick around these boards....yours is a story of true courage and inspiration, for much more than just your fractured heel! I was a lurker here long before I felt like posting, and your advice, along with many others on these boards, has kept me sane and positive when everything else I was hearing was so very negative or unrealistically positive. So thanks for sticking around!

Deborah....glad to hear that the cane is working a bit easier for you! Now that I'm using the cane, my gait has improved dramatically. I hope that you find it does the same! Keep us posted.

Jen

The Following User Says Thank You to newcalcgal For This Useful Post:
deborahrgoldman (04-13-2011)
Old 04-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

You got to be positive. My thoughts are, what else are you going to do. The damage is done. I am not saying I don't think about it, its hard not to, when it consumes so much of your life. But you really don't have a choice.

Closed Thread