It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
(female)

Buster531 HB User
Question Looking into pttd surgery

So I am looking into having pttd surgery, I've been having issues for a very very long time. I am 24years old and can't take the pain I have anymore. I've tired everything the drs have suggested including PT, about 4 times now, a cam walker boot, anything elsr you can think of I have tried it. I've read stuff on here talking about the recovery after these surgeries. I went to see a different DPM yesterday and he is recomending I have the cotton ostemotomy, evans ostemotomy, fdl tendon transfer and calf recession also removal of the accessory navicular bone... it was a lot to take in at one time. I had heard about the tendon transfer from other drs but I guess not all of those. I've made another appt to see another DPM in another 2 weeks. I am just not sure if I am making the right decision to go the surgery route, I don't know what else I could do. I also was diagniosed with fibromyalgia in october 2010 and have been taking cymbalta for that. I am afraid this will affect my recovery as well.

The following user gives a hug of support to Buster531:
velvetrain (04-16-2011)
Old 04-15-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

velvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB User
Re: Looking into pttd surgery

I know how you feel. I dealt with a failing and torn tendon a year before I made the decision that I had to have surgerey. The amount of pain was unbearable to the point where I just wanted the foot to be amputated. It was bad and I was always depressed. The recoverey sucks but I know I made the right decision. I am walking and it's a challenge but I pray and hope I make a full recoverey. You will too. Have your surgerey as a means to eventually getting you out of pain.

The Following User Says Thank You to velvetrain For This Useful Post:
Buster531 (04-15-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2011, 03:46 AM   #3
(male)

London Chap HB UserLondon Chap HB UserLondon Chap HB User

It sounds like you are doing the right thing by talking to more than one doctor and thinking through the implications of the surgery.

I had something similar to you 17 weeks ago and my foot is already better than it was beforehand. The recovery is difficult- I was mostly in a wheelchair for 10 weeks because of a troublesome wound. However, if you plan it right (there's a thread on here call tactics whilst non-weightbearing) and particularly if you get help from friends and family, I think it's manageable.

Good luck with making your decision.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

velvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB User

Keep us posted on what you decide to do. As for me that horrible burning pain I had in the tendon before surgerey is gone. The surgeon told me before they wheeled me into the OR that the act of removing the tendon would totally eliminate the pain I was having. My tendon was no good anyway. It had so many tears in it that it was dissected and discarded. The only pain I have now is recuperating from the post surgerey soreness in and around incisions and pain in my heel from the calcaneal osteotomy. My body is still healing from the surgerey. You will have some pain after this procedure but it will not be like what your having now. Just remember this condition is progressive and it probably will not get better for you at this point. Each month my foot got worse and got more and more flat because the tendon was unable to support my foot. Noone should have to suffer like that. You are a young person and deserve to have the best quality of life not being in pain with something voluntary as walking. This was my first surgerey ever at 35.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User

[QUOTE=London Chap;4731994]there's a thread on here call tactics whilst non-weightbearing.[/QUOTE]

That thread is now a "sticky" at the top of the discussions.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I am almost 8 months post op ptt surgery - medial sliding calcaneal osteotomy, repair of ptt tendon, fdl tendon transfer, kidner procedure (accessory navicular bone removal), achielles tendon lengthening and repair of fractured bone. I went 2 years pre-surgery where the pain got progressively worse until I could not take it anymore. Twice I was put into a boot and had pt sessions to no avail. During July and August I was NWB - soft cast then hard cast trying to avoid surgery. But at the end of August I had surgery. One thing the MRI did not show was the fractured bone so this was a "surprise" find during surgery. I have to say that I have absolutely no regrets on surgery. It was the best thing I have done even though the recovery is difficult. My recovery had its ups and downs and recently I fell and have a stress fracture of my tibia. Fortunately, I have good bone growth and am now out of the boot but have to wear a brace. My foot feels soooooooo good that I now feel as though I will be able to do all the things I used to. Try to read the post "tips on being non-weight bearing", There are great ideas of things to have before having surgery. It is a really good idea to see more then one doctor - just remember, you HAVE to feel comfortable and trust whoever does you surgery. It is major surgery and you need your feet! Keep us posted on what you decide and your recovery.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
(female)

Buster531 HB User

Thank you everyone for all your kind words of advice. I am going to see the other dr on the 27 of april. I think this will be the 5th doctor I've seen just to get a different opinion, but they all seem tosay the same thing... but we will see.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

I am curious. Have you suffered from flat feet all your life? I had never heard of this condition and tendon issues until I started having problems. I should of had custom orthotics much sooner in life.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #9
(female)

Buster531 HB User

Well I have always suffered from problems with my feet as far as flat feet not till a couple years ago.. they couldn't figured out why I was always having problems until I was in 10th grade they discovered the accessory navicular bone and wanted to remove it then, but being a teenage and active in sports I did not want it done. I've asked many drs if the removal would have been done then would I have less problems now and they seem to think I wouldn't be in as much pain. But who know. I got the custom orthodics about 7months ago I haven't had any relief from those either. It does seem with every day that goes by I have more and more pain, I literally have to limp when I wake up in the morning.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Wow. You poor dear. It was tough for me as well. I really only limped the day my tendon tore. Oddly enough the cam walker they gave me two days later bought me alot of time because I had no pain in the boot. Towards the end nothing relieved my pain. I stayed doped up on pain meds to sleep. Hard to believe at times that a torn tendon can cause so much pain and disrupt in ones life. I certainly wish you the best in whatever avenue you choose and know that many of us can offer you the mental support you need.

I believe my issue with flat feet was predisposed genetically. I remember as a small child wearing orthopedic shoes. It wasn't till I got to college and started studying biomechanics in a physical therapy related class that I discovered the overpronation and flat feet.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

I am 9 momths post of repair of ptt and spring ligament, tendon transfer, calcaneal and cotton osteotomy and lengthening of the achillese tendon. As a kid, I remember that from time to time when I started to run, my ankle would crack and I would be in agony for two or three minutes. Once the sharp shooting pain would subside, I was fine again. Five years ago, out of the blue, I had a two year battle with plantar fasciossis. The ONLY thing that got rid of the pain was two rounds of cryosurgery. About two and a half to three years ago, I developed posterior tibial tendonitis secondary to an accessory navicular. Two years ago, I had a modified kinder and repair of the ptt. The surgery did not take care of the tendonitis and over the next year, not only did the tendon rip again, it partially ruptured. Over time, the pain got worse and worse until, I couldn't take more than 10 or 15 steps without pain even wearing a custom arizona style brace. Suddenly, my foot pancaked, even when sitting with no weight on the foot. When I stood in front of the mirror, my ankle was starting to cave in towards the floor. I had been wearing custom orthotics and good shoes for the past 5 years but I developed pronation which worsened over time. The other foot pronates slightly, but nothing like the other foot.

Recovery from the surgery was long, exhausting and at times frustrating but now, I am feeling so much better. A week ago, my husband and I went on a 1-1 1/2 mile walk and I felt fine afterwards. I still have some reduced sensation in parts of my foot and my toes still feel kind of tight, but I am able to walk without any pain and am able to function fully during the day. So far, I would consider my surgery a complete success.

I went to three different podiatrists and two foot and ankle surgeons for opinions. Each doctor agreed on the dx but the treatment plans all differed. I ended up having my surgery done at a major, top ranked orthapedic hospital. The surgeon does several flat foot surgeries a month

The Following User Says Thank You to roxygirl1 For This Useful Post:
adbow (04-16-2011)
Old 06-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #12
(female)

Buster531 HB User

OK, So I have scheduled my surgery for July 13th, one month from today. I am very scared/nervous/excited. I go to the Dr. on June 23rd to get all the paperwork, and then the 27th for the EKG and physical. I am so ready to get it over with, Sunday morning my foot just went numb like the tingling feeling when your foot falls asleep and is waking up. It was very scary and only lasted about a minute or two. The procedures im having done are the calcaneal and cotton osteotomy and lengthening of the Achilles tendon removal of the accessory navicular and repairing the ptt. they said i would have to stay for 23hrs after for observation, is that normal? Have read alot on here which has helped so much, im having the surgery done on wednesday the 13th and hoping to be back to work on monday the 25th. Im hoping this will be possible since I almost have no choice... I work in a dental office and there really is no room for someone to be out. I do have some questions though on what i will have on my foot right after the surgery? and how long you wear that for?

Old 06-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Best of luck on your upcoming surgerey. In the operating room they apply a surgical plaster cast. About two weeks later it's removed and you get a fiberglass cast. Usually by this time the swelling has decreased for you to go in a harder more protective cast.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User

Buster Did your doctor tell you what his post op protocol is? My doctor put me in an enourmous surgical splint for two weeks which was changed to a plaster cast for another 6 weeks. I was NWB for 8 weeks. The first three weeks, my foot was elevated to my chin with lots of pillows under it just about all of the time. It took about 5-6 weeks post op until I was able to sit with my foot down for about 30 minutes. I couldn't imagine going back to work after two weeks. Just going to the bathroom and then back to my bed was absolutely exhausting. Most people who post here are definitely out a lot longer than two weeks. My doctor said that he usually keeps people out about 3 months if they have a desk job and four months if they have to be active at work. You really should talk to your doctor about your expectations.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Yeah work will be the last thing in your mind. Just getting on and off the toilet and getting to the kitchen for food was tough. The act of taking a sponge bath seated and changing clothes wore me out. I am just now going back to work for half days this Friday and I had surgerey in March.

I was really naive with the recoverey. Thought I would be back to normal six weeks after this procedure. Boy was I wrong. It is a long recoverey and I got frustrated some as well. I still get frustrated but I take it one day at a time and know each week I get better than the last.

Last edited by velvetrain; 06-13-2011 at 08:04 PM.

Reply Reply