It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #16
Veteran
(female)

velvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB User
Re: Pain Meds-Calcaneal Osteotomy

April you are progressing leaps and bounds every time you post. That is great. Drive? That is something I can't fathom in the near future. I fell this morning trying to walk down to the PT office. Hoping I can be given the okay to get into a shoe at my next appt as this boot is inhibiting the motion my foot needs to go through. I ended up calling the surgeon office to ask if I can use the cam walker I had before surgerey as it was easier for me to walk in. The aircast they gave me is horribly unsteady to try to walk and balance in. I guess they are tired of me calling and said go ahead.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:19 PM   #17
(male)

Lurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB User

Velvetrain, they have you in an aircast? My doc said they will be having me in the cam walker after I get the cast off. Perhaps that's just the first step?

What is the protocol once the cast is off? Weight bearing right away? I've read that it is almost as painful as immediately following the surgery. True?

I consider myself pretty lucky that you and April are weeks ahead of me so I know what to expect.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #18
Veteran
(female)

velvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB User

Lurchy I think it's just the surgeons preference here in MA. Where I live in NC the surgeon gave me a cam walker that I have had ever since I tore the tendon. I fully expected to have the same thing here. I took one look at that tall aircast and sole and knew I would not tolerate walking on it. It's not very level so I end up weightbearing on the lateral sides of it. It's horrible for someone trying to relearn walking. I have lost my balance so many times from my foot slipping me up with it. It's more of a safety risk than a help at this point as I can't afford to fall and hurt either foot again. That is why I got fed up and called this afternoon about using my old boot.

In my case I had zero pain upon walking out of the office the day I got the aircast and pwb orders. My foot did get tired and I got tired from walking. Even now I have had no actual pain in my foot. It's just soreness from the stretching and exercise at this point. Weird huh? I think it's the luck of the draw.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #19
(male)

Lurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB User

That's promising. Really looking forward to walking.

Started getting a random cold/wet feeling on the bottom of my foot. Just came out of no where when I got up to use the restroom. It will be in one spot for about 3 seconds then go away. Ever happen to anyone else?

Old 04-23-2011, 06:09 AM   #20
(female)

Skase HB User

Hi Lurchy

I also had an osteotomy and a cast straight out of surgery. For me I felt that the blood clotting in my heel was the cause of all my pain and the reason I also woke up in the middle of the night and popped painkillers. I went back into the doctor's office and asked them to remove the cast and clean up the wound about three days post op. Once I did that, I was painfree and no longer taking pain meds.

I can understand your concerns about taking too many pain meds. I didnt take much medication and tried to bear it out for the most part but my surgeon told me that relieving your body from excruciating pain also helps healing. So if I'm in a lot of pain I take something.

Also have you tried icing? That is my alternative to pain meds. I literally dunk my whole foot in an ice & water bucket with plastic bags around it. I will do it for as long as I can take it then take my foot out to rest and repeat again. I will spend 3-4 hours doing this when my foot is bad. It helps to have a book or tv on to distract you from the cold. I know the cold doesn't get through a cast but the cold on my toes and knee gets through somewhat. It's safer without a cast on obviously.
Please check with your dr before you try.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Skase; 04-23-2011 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Old 04-23-2011, 11:32 AM   #21
(male)

Thanks Skase. How long out of surgery are you?

For the most part, my pain is no longer an ache but more of a shooting pain. It is constantly on the move, one minute in my calf and the next in my foot. It's the kind of pain that makes me grit my teeth and put my head down for 10 seconds. Happens every few minutes. If I take the pain meds, I can still feel it happen but it is dulled to the point that it doesn't require me to stop what I'm doing.

I did speak with the docs office yesterday and they said it is getting a bit worrisome that I'm 4.5 weeks out of surgery and still taking the meds. They also said that taking one dose per day isn't nearly as big an issue as taking multiple doses. I probably will still experience some symptoms of withdrawal when I stop though. The challenging part for me is which meds to take. One 5 mg Oxy kills the pain without any side effect. Alternatively, I have to take 1.5 Norco (15 mg hydrocodone/475 mg acetaminophen total) to kill the pain but I also get that euphoric feeling (which concerns me). Doc told me to continue with Norco and avoid the Oxy as much as possible.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:41 PM   #22
(female)

Skase HB User

Hi Lurchy

I'm not a dr so I don't know much about pain meds. The side effect for me was mainly drowsiness.

My surgeon anticipated nerve pain so i was prescribed Lyrica. But I found the discomfort of the cast more of an issue. For me, that was causing the pain and perhaps less so the nerve? During surgery they had to move my nerves around and so I have limited sensation since. That might have limited the pain I feel.

In response to your question, I had surgery earlier this year so it's been a while.

Don't know if that helps. If you have any more questions, just drop a line.
All the best,

Old 04-24-2011, 07:25 PM   #23
(male)

How many weeks has everyone been elevating their leg at night? I'm almost 5 weeks and have still been sleeping with my leg elevated. It's tedious and uncomfortable. Figured it's the best for my ankle though. Any thoughts?

Old 04-24-2011, 07:52 PM   #24
(female)

Skase HB User

I've been doing it for a few months. It helps keep swelling down. You don't have to elevate very high, just enough to keep it above your heart.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #25
(male)

Have had a really rough couple of days. Tried taking a valium today to see if it would distance me enough from the pain that I wouldn't need a pk. Worked until 5 and I broke down and took 1.5 norco. Just spending most of the day shifting around and uncomfortable. Hopefully tomorrow is the day that I don't need anything or if I do, I will only need 1 or 1/2 a pill. I know 1.5 Norco is still a heavy dose.

Really hard not to get depressed. I'm pretty self-aware and know the signs. Fortunately, I have a class starting in a week so I can focus on that to get through the last two weeks.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #26
(male)

Glad to report that I made through the day yesterday without any pain meds. Unfortunately, I think the pain bottled up and I'm miserable today. Took a valium and 600 mg of ibuprofen two hours ago and it hasn't helped. Going to try and hold off a but longer but the ache in my ankle and pain in my toes is pretty bad. The good thing is that by taking a valium, I can cut the amount of pain killer I need in half.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:57 PM   #27
(male)

Just wanted to give an update that I'm 4 days from getting my cast off. I'm still having quite a bit of pain and take a dose of pk's nearly every day.

I'm trying to get a better idea of what to expect over the next month and did post a new thread under the heading Calcaneal Osteotomy PT. As some of you have gone through the PT recently, any chance you could provide input? A few others have indicated they are curious as well. As you know, there isn't a lot of information out there so any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks and I hope your recoveries are going well!

Old 05-06-2011, 01:34 PM   #28
Veteran
(female)

I am in my fourth week of PT. It's going well and my motion, strength, and flexibility have improved. Ligaments, tendons, and muscle will be tight after cast removal. I was started with massage, stretching and gentle joint mobilization. I was also given exercises to do at my first visit. I am now riding the bicycle for 20 minutes to increase the strength and flexibility of my foot. If you have pain and swelling they may do estim which is a mild electrical current.

Once your weightbearing improves they will work on your standing balance. It's a workout but well needed.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:03 PM   #29
(female)

Skase HB User

I've been in PT for 3 weeks now. It's really helped with range of motion. It's a lot of hard work and I'm sore when stretched but when you see improvement it's worth all that.

What to expect:
- stretching
- targeted strength training exercises on thigh, calf, foot
- mild current to reduce swelling
- manipulation of the joint
- deep tissue massage
- stim to help reduce swelling
- icing

If you're concerned about pain or swelling, take an ibuprofen or similar beforehand. Icing at home after can also help.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #30
(male)

Thanks for the feedback. I do have a few specific questions though:

1. How quickly were you walking without crutches afterwards?
2. How may days after beginning PT were you able to put in a full days work?
3. What are swelling expectations after week 1, 2, 3, 4?
4. How many days after beginning PT were you able go without elevation?
5. What are the pain expectations? Have you needed to take pain meds?

I'm supposed to go to Boston for an interview at the end of the month. At that point, I will be 10 weeks post-op. Do you think I will be able to handle a tour of office and 4-8 hours of interviews (sitting in an office chair)?

Thanks.

Closed Thread