It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #31
Veteran
(female)

velvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB Uservelvetrain HB User
Re: Pain Meds-Calcaneal Osteotomy

Hmm you want to come to Boston and I so desperately want to leave Boston and go back home to NC. I can't leave here and board a plane unless I am full weightbearing and off crutches. I am still partial weightbearing 10 weeks after surgerey and dependent on both crutches. There would be no way I could manage on my own with luggage and carryons in a fast paced airport.

I am not back to work yet and not rushing to get back as I am dealing with what may be a complication.

I still take pain pills as needed and ice all the time and elevate as I still have a ton of swelling.

It's hard to say where you should be each step after you are beginning to walk. This surgerey affects everyone so differently. What someone else could do at 10 weeks I could be really struggling to complete now.

Only you will know how your body feels and your stamina for enduring alot of walking around that time period.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #32
(male)

Lurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB User

I hope whatever the complication is resolves quickly!

I went to class tonight for a few hours. Had leg elevated to waist level. Within 2 hours, I could feel my ankle and foot swell. Was getting quite painful so I came home. By the time I got here, my toes were turning into sausages. Have had it elevated above my heart for 2 hours and it's still pretty painful and swollen. Hope it goes down during the night.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2011, 09:56 PM   #33
(female)

Skase HB User

Lurchy,

The answer to your questions really depends on you. You should not compare yourself to anyone else, as they may have different pain tolerance or medical issues from you. Just go at your own pace. However, I can share my experience:

1. How quickly were you walking without crutches afterwards?
I'm able to get around without crutches for short distances occasionally. That started about two weeks ago. I still rely on them for several reasons: a. the weather can make my ankle cranky. b. It makes people aware of me and a little more careful. Iím not particularly stable when I walk so crutches also helps. c. Sometimes Iím really sore and I have to walk a lot here, so crutches help relieve pain.

2. How may days after beginning PT were you able to put in a full days work?
Iím able to sit for a few hours at a time, but I havenít tried all day yet. I took time off to recuperate from surgery. This is not the first surgery and I rushed through the other ones and didnít take time off to recover properly. Perhaps that is one of the reasons why Iím back here again or perhaps it was the nature of the internal damage.

3. What are swelling expectations after week 1, 2, 3, 4?
My ankle swell depending on the weather, how much Iíve used it, what I eat and often reasons I have no answer to. Some days Iím doing really well and I feel ready to do more. Others I take the day off and elevate and rest.

4. How many days after beginning PT were you able go without elevation?
I still elevate and ice when I need it. I donít do it daily now, but definitely from time to time. I almost always elevate it somewhat when I sleep.

5. What are the pain expectations? Have you needed to take pain meds?
In therapy, it can be painful, but itís temporary and I walk so much better after Iím not complaining.
When I overuse my ankle and the weather is bad, it can get really sore. I try to manage the pain by watching the weather. NSAIDs help reduce the swelling if I take it before it rains and manage it through the weather patterns.
Pain meds are limited to NSAIDs for now.

I'm supposed to go to Boston for an interview at the end of the month. At that point, I will be 10 weeks post-op. Do you think I will be able to handle a tour of office and 4-8 hours of interviews (sitting in an office chair)?
Iíve recovered very well from a complex surgery & calcaneal osteotomy and have a high pain tolerance but I was still on crutches 10 weeks post-op. If you want to do the interview and tour on crutches, that should be ok. If not, you might struggle to keep up. Iím limited by range of motion so taking normal steps all day can be tough.
You should be able to gauge how you would feel about a week prior to the interview.

Hope that helps.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skase For This Useful Post:
Logan331 (06-05-2011), Lurchy24 (05-07-2011)
Old 05-21-2011, 08:05 AM   #34
(male)

Lurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB UserLurchy24 HB User

Just wondering how everyone is doing with PT. I've had my cast off for about a week and a half. Pain wasn't too bad initially but really seems to be catching up with me. I'm pushing myself pretty hard though. My ROM has increased greatly and I'm able to put about 80% of my weight on my foot. I can't get myself to stand on one leg, just doesn't seem possible. When I do put weight on my foot, it feels like there is something hard on the bottom of my heel towards the lateral side. Hurts to stand on it. Not sure if that is something that will go away after a while or if my foot isn't sitting right due to ankle stiffness. Any thoughts?

A few other things I'm experiencing:

Pain in front of foot when walking. Perhaps bc my muscles aren't there to assist the bones?

If I have my leg in boot but have it down for about an hour, it swells up pretty well.

I can walk in my boot using one crutch. Not for long distances though.

Pain is 100% worse in the mornings.

Hope everyone else is recovering well.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #35
(female)

Logan331 HB UserLogan331 HB User

I appreciate the extensive information everyone has provided on the calcaneal osteotomy recovery process because I am scared to have the surgery on June 21st. I am most concerned about how fast I will recover--like most people. Does PT begin right after the cast comes off? I am sure I will be back on to ask more questions. Thanks!

Old 06-05-2011, 10:21 PM   #36
(female)

Skase HB User

Hi Logan331,

I can understand the fears that you might have. I was nervous the first time too. I think the biggest fear I had was the amount of pain that I might be in post-surgery. If I could advise:
1. Speak with your surgeon in the detail of the procedure. Make sure that you're familiar so that you won't be surprised on the day of or after.
2. Make sure that you have someone you're comfortable to take care of you during the process. It helps to know that they are around the whole time.
3. Ask how the surgeon will handle the pain immediately post-op. You might have a controlled pain relieving drip if you stay at the hospital. It's fantastic, because you won't feel a thing.
4. Ask for pain medication to take after the surgery when you're at home.
5. For me, the professional PT happened a few weeks after I removed the cast and simple ROM immediately after I removed the cast. You should speak with your surgeon as to what to expect.

It takes time to regain the muscle strength lost during the time in your cast. However, the PT that I attend has professional athletes who have had similar surgeries. With some hard work and patience, they are back to their professional sports. So I believe it can be done.

All the best,

Old 06-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #37
(female)

Logan331 HB UserLogan331 HB User

Thank you so much for the insight. I think my biggest fear is being able to cycle and go to work after a reasonable amount of time. My procedure will be done as an out-patient basis and I asked if I could stay one night and the surgeon said if the pain is too great. With that said, he said he could give me a leg block before I go home. I know everyone heals differently, so I will take all the good advice I have gleaned here and take one day at a time. Thanks again!

Old 06-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #38
(female)

Skase HB User

Hi

You should be able to cycle again quite quickly. That was one of the first things I did once I got the cast off. As cycling does not stress the joint once the wounds have healed I'm sure you can cycle. Ask your surgeon to confirm this.

As for staying in the hospital, I would suggest to go home because it's a lot more comfortable. However, if you have low blood pressure issues, advise your doctor. They might want to observe you overnight then. Just watch the crutches when you're a little drugged. They can be hairy.

All the best,

Old 06-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #39
(female)

Skase HB User

Hi

You should be able to cycle again quite quickly. That was one of the first things I did once I got the cast off. As cycling does not stress the joint once the wounds have healed I'm sure you can cycle. Ask your surgeon to confirm this.

As for staying in the hospital, I would suggest to go home because it's a lot more comfortable. However, if you have low blood pressure issues, advise your doctor. They might want to observe you overnight then. Just watch the crutches when you're a little drugged. They can be hairy.

All the best,

The Following User Says Thank You to Skase For This Useful Post:
Logan331 (06-06-2011)
Closed Thread